Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

^^^
    that guy takes his watches serious! :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Vostok are really cranking it up !

Amphibia for ladies !
    33 mm diameter, 10 ATM, handwinding movement.

11923616_1105518099460864_6489185877827290125_n.jpg?oh=150ce36685d6a25101397e100a6dd0ea&oe=566CCC2A

Vostok_Amphibia_For_Ladies_051339-01-200x300.jpgVostok_Amphibia_For_Ladies_051266-01-200x300.jpgVostok_Amphibia_For_Ladies_051463-01-200x300.jpg

and while these might be a bit light for demanding wives ..at $ 39.00 (yepp ..thirty-nine dollars) they might make a few younger daughters very happy

http://meranom.com/amphibian-classic/051/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

peasant wrote: »
    Vostok are really cranking it up !

Amphibia for ladies !
    33 mm diameter, 10 ATM, handwinding movement.

Why does damn near every watch for women involve diamonds or diamanté?!!
    /rant over

I've always bought my watches from the mens' collections. The designs are typically cleaner and less blingy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

dudara wrote: »

https://www.colonia-jewellery.com/brands/danish-designs-watches?gender=44&gclid=Cj0KEQjwvJqvBRCL77m2-uKczsIBEiQAkx8VjOpiViw1BC1xdp_xzhlRmk91Bi7QKDhHJUcczSWb0qQaAk9q8P8HAQ

some really nice ones there, even doing a discount....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thanks for the link, but they're all Quartz movements. I prefer automatics, something very intrinsically pleasing about an automatic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

dudara wrote: »
    /rant over

I've always bought my watches from the mens' collections. The designs are typically cleaner and less blingy.

Have you ever considered going with a vintage mens watch?
    Watches from the 70s and earlier tend to be a lot smaller than today. 33mm for your average mens watch.
    And the build quality tends to be very good with the 'brand' watches.

Menas wrote: »
    Have you ever considered going with a vintage mens watch?
    Watches from the 70s and earlier tend to be a lot smaller than today. 33mm for your average mens watch.
    And the build quality tends to be very good with the 'brand' watches.

What brands would be good ones if I ever get one for the missus? Don't mind if it's quartz or auto, just not mechanical, she would never remember to wind the thing.
    She's forever buying cheap sh*tty watches that usually last a few months and the stop or fall apart. I hate nothing more than fake, plastic designer watches that have a brandname scribbled on them in crayon and the works is from a watch you can get from a vending machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

What brands would be good ones if I ever get one for the missus? Don't mind if it's quartz or auto, just not mechanical, she would never remember to wind the thing.
    She's forever buying cheap sh*tty watches that usually last a few months and the stop or fall apart. I hate nothing more than fake, plastic designer watches that have a brandname scribbled on them in crayon and the works is from a watch you can get from a vending machine.

The Stowa Antea is crisp and clean and comes in 36, 39 & 41mm sizes. Could definitely work on a ladies wrist and the Antea 'back to Bauhaus' can be got with coloured dials if she would prefer something other than white.

If you really wanted to push the boat out the Breitling Transocean Chronograph 38 is stunning.

In the vintages my personal preference is Omega. A great range out there and they stand the test of time from an aesthetic and mechanical perspective.
    Longiness also get a very honorable mention. IWC also produced some fantastic watches back then and they can be got at relatively reasonable prices.
    Have a look up at ebay and if you are interested in some then link them in this forum and there are some of us who can chime in with opinions!

In the vintages my personal preference is Omega. A great range out there and they stand the test of time from an aesthetic and mechanical perspective.
    Longiness also get a very honorable mention. IWC also produced some fantastic watches back then and they can be got at relatively reasonable prices.
    Have a look up at ebay and if you are interested in some then link them in this forum and there are some of us who can chime in with opinions!

Omega is a great suggestion, but it depends on price.
    Longines she actually has a soft spot for, because of my pocket watch, which she really likes.
    I just have to avoid gold watches, she has no love for those, she was given a gold (colored) Citizen eco drive at work as a present (no, not retirement, we're not that old) and she gave it to my mother, not that she hated it, but she just couldn't bring herself to wear it. Kinda like me and red cars. I just couldn't...

• Advertisement

I have no idea if this is good or not, but I do like it so very much:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Vintage-OMEGA-Geneve-Dynamic-565-Automatic-Stainless-Steel-Quick-calendar-Swiss-/291554241314?hash=item43e1fcab22

It's not perfect by any means, but that never put me off:

$_57.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

I have no idea if this is good or not, but I do like it so very much:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Vintage-OMEGA-Geneve-Dynamic-565-Automatic-Stainless-Steel-Quick-calendar-Swiss-/291554241314?hash=item43e1fcab22

It's not perfect by any means, but that never put me off:

They are very nice but the case on that one is a shocker and I have my doubts about the crown. They are also, possibly, one of the more difficult things to risk as an Ebay purchase. The fact that it's a front loader means that you'll never normally get a movement shot - and if you do you wonder what kind of a bodger has been at it, and with what.

I was very lucky - mine came from TZUK and the previous owner used to date a girl who's father worked at STS. It's even got the right crystal.
    23122011a.jpg
    07112014.jpg

If you're seriously interested I'd contact a chap called Paul Walker on TZUK - he is a watchmaker and has a few of these and he does sell one from time to time.

I have to leave it for now, because a few bills came on unexpectedly and 2 cars will have to go through the NCT as well as having to be taxed.
    I'll let you know if I'm ever in a position to actually enjoy any of my money myself.
    Ever thought you where on top of things and ahead financially? They're the worst months.

I have to leave it for now, because a few bills came on unexpectedly and 2 cars will have to go through the NCT as well as having to be taxed.
    I'll let you know if I'm ever in a position to actually enjoy any of my money myself.
    Ever thought you where on top of things and ahead financially? They're the worst months.

It when you start buying watches without telling your other half...thats when you have a problem!

Last year's definitely not a bargain* watch that I'm not buying - this pre-Daytona has to be one of the most stunning watches I've ever laid eyes on. Everything about it is just perfect.

_img.jpg?ixlib=rb-0.3.4&w=580&crop=faces&fit=crop&dpr=2&

*Can't find the actual selling price but at an estimated 100K and previously owned by old Slowhand himself I'd imagine it's a pretty safe investment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Vintage-Seiko-6139-6002-Chronograph-Day-Date-Automatic-Watch-/171926362025?hash=item28079c17a9

4 days to go on this, lots of these have bits and pieces added. Seller has omitted the word 'Pogue' which usually reduces the final price by a good £50. One of the hands looks off colour and the case has been polished, will be interesting to see what it makes. From July '71.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

http://www.adverts.ie/dress/audemars-piguet-royal-oak-offshore/8856502

Reason I'm not buying.. Saving up for a Richard Mille ;)

sparrowcar wrote: »

Hideous but surely it's a fake? There's a Rolex GMT Master 2 in his sold items with a very dodgy looking bezel.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

No papers either so I think I'll pass ;)

I would be more concerned how someone with spelling that poor comes to own a €27k watch...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

I would be more concerned how someone with spelling that poor comes to own a €27k watch...

Bwahaha that's the first thing I thought when I read the ad! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,324 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

That's grim. V limited market for an AP ROO with such an amount of aftermarket bling even if it's all real.

blue5000 wrote: »
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Vintage-Seiko-6139-6002-Chronograph-Day-Date-Automatic-Watch-/171926362025?hash=item28079c17a9

4 days to go on this, lots of these have bits and pieces added. Seller has omitted the word 'Pogue' which usually reduces the final price by a good £50. One of the hands looks off colour and the case has been polished, will be interesting to see what it makes. From July '71.

Well it went a bit cheaper than this one anyway,

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/RARE-VINTAGE-SEIKO-6139-6002-CHRONOGRAPH-POGUE-AUTOMATIC-EXCELLENT-/141767205787

Interesting looking kickstarter on Hodinkee. The positioning of the date window kills it a bit for me but at $99 I'd still be tempted.

Interesting looking kickstarter on Hodinkee. The positioning of the date window kills it a bit for me but at $99 I'd still be tempted.

I have backed him! Not mad about the quartz movement, but design wise I love this watch.

I have backed him! Not mad about the quartz movement, but design wise I love this watch.

I'm thinking about this also. Guy seems like a class act and his employment history isn't half shabby either.

I'm thinking about this also. Guy seems like a class act and his employment history isn't half shabby either.

Exactly. I think he is on to something here and he clearly has a good design. So this could be the start of something...and nice to be there at the start of something that is good.

I like the idea of getting one of the first 400 watches. It is 99 plus 20 shipping so not too big an outlay. All going well we should have our watch in february. The video of the watch is more impressive than the pictures too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Exactly. I think he is on to something here and he clearly has a good design. So this could be the start of something...and nice to be there at the start of something that is good.

I like the idea of getting one of the first 400 watches. It is 99 plus 20 shipping so not too big an outlay. All going well we should have our watch in february. The video of the watch is more impressive than the pictures too.

They do look nice alright, and a nice price point.
    I think I would prefer one of the watches from Step 2 or Step 3 though (I just don't have a fondness for gold bezals) so I will keep this on my watch to watch list !

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-damasko-da36-2444442.html

1 year old damasko da 36 $1000 asking price if anyone is on the lookout for one.

• Advertisement

gucci wrote: »
    They do look nice alright, and a nice price point.
    I think I would prefer one of the watches from Step 2 or Step 3 though (I just don't have a fondness for gold bezals) so I will keep this on my watch to watch list !

Step 2 is now available. I switched from the first watch to this one!

6339c82f3edef2cb88386209c84fe6ea_original.png

Advertisement