Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Very must inspired by the new bond movie and all its promotions but the new omega seamaster 300 is also amazing
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/a-week-on-the-wrist-omega-seamaster-300-master-co-axial

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ArcticFox

Homer wrote: »
    I think AF might be referring to the source of the watches. Could be wrong though.

Spot on Homer a095b62ba601cdf2e9b5ff3d0e9c8069_neutraluhohtoppa.gif

Still no feedback btw

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

MiCr0 wrote: »
    Very must inspired by the new bond movie and all its promotions but the new omega seamaster 300 is also amazing
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/a-week-on-the-wrist-omega-seamaster-300-master-co-axial

I remember reading somewhere that they have engraved 007 on the 'strap keeper'? Not sure if that means lugs. But I hate it when they ruin watches with branding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I remember reading somewhere that they have engraved 007 on the 'strap keeper'? Not sure if that means lugs. But I hate it when they ruin watches with branding.

That's the metal bit on the nato that you tuck the strap overhang into after you buckle it.

That's the metal bit on the nato that you tuck the strap overhang into after you buckle it.

That's a tad×3 better than on the lugs then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Christie's Catalogue link:

http://www.christies.com/PDF/catalog...10_SaleCat.pdf

I always thought Rolex was over rated, now I am convinced. Let me know if the link doesn't work.

Thanks Jasper try the one below.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Jasper79

blue5000 wrote: »

I always thought Rolex was over rated, now I am convinced. Let me know if the link doesn't work.

Link Doesn't work

Thanks Jasper try the one below.

The BP 50f in that catalogue looks amazing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rolex may be a huge bubble, but the prices paid for 90's Panerai are utterly crazy IMH. Though 80 grand for a Rolex Day Date? *shudder* A fair few lots there which have gone through auctions already in the past year. The bubble is getting ever bigger… Some interesting lots in there though(And the usual high ticket I'm a rapper drenched in jewels pieces. *yak*). Some nice AP's and a couple of lovely Longines pre war chronos that are bound to fetch more than the ticket price, but maybe not? Also a couple of quartz. OMHIGEEERD! :eek: Omega megaquartz. Better ones are often to be found on ebay though. I like the JLC world globe clock in the afternoon sale. Funky. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This is probably heresy to many, but personally I think the white faced (McQueen) Daytona just looks unfinished.

I wonder what will be there in about 20 years time? Apples??:p What's scary for me is that there's a few (Longines) with a reasonable 3-5k estimate and I'm thinking......that's a possibility.

Eoin wrote: »
    This is probably heresy to many, but personally I think the white faced (McQueen) Daytona just looks unfinished.

They didn't sell well in the day either AFAIK but then sports rolex weren't as valued as the dressier watches at that time either. I must admit that I've started to like them ... probably because I spend too much time on watch forums though.

I wonder what will be there in about 20 years time? Apples??:p What's scary for me is that there's a few (Longines) with a reasonable 3-5k estimate and I'm thinking......that's a possibility.

It's a slippery slope

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They didn't sell well in the day either AFAIK but then sports rolex weren't as valued as the dressier watches at that time either.
    Yeah they were a very hard sell. The date of manufacture and the subsequent date of sale of many of them is a testament to that. I suppose because they were overly pricy at the time(but nothing compared to today's "luxury watch" market) and Rolex were not even close to being seen as a chronograph maker. Which they weren't. They were seen as either fantastic mid priced(yep) tool watches or solid gold with diamonds used car salesman watches. All their chrono movements until very recently were bought in. That didn't stop Heuer mind you. Well maybe it did, as they were a hard sell too, back in the day. How times change. Though that's a common enough theme in the collectable/antique market. The tacky day dates on the other hand… They were always seen as pretty naff and nouveau.
    It's a slippery slope
    Oh, yes it is Mr Ed. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭thelizardking1

Anjobe wrote: »
    Nice collection of dive watches and pretty good value at the asking price[/URL]

Might be a hard sell as a collection rather than individually.

That was me that bought those!

Lovely collection.

The guy selling them was completely genuine. Travels around the world for work so didn't have any boxes unfortunately. I was dubious at 1st as it seemed like too good of a price.

Selling the OVM if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Bit below the usual watches but I like fossils more than any other fashion brand. Nice speedy homage for just over €50 if you have someone in the states to get it delivered to. Would make a nice beater. Could get it for €84 from the UK.

ch2573-main1.jpg

Been a long time since I bought a watch and need to scratch the itch but I'm smashed at the minute. Budget below €100 speedy or flieger style
    Really like the the look of this one but it's sold out everywhere.
    b4e6af1ff2608446920f954a16efad82.jpg

Probably should just get this or stretch to a SKX007

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭td2008

Tempted by this christopher ward watch, only 199, anyone have any experience with them?

c5svv-mk2_1_nf_3.jpg

http://www.christopherward.co.uk/autumn-event/menswatches50.html

td are you registered with them? I think there are only 2 left from a 50% off autumn sale they had on last week. AFAIK a lot of stuff sold out very fast. I don't know how often they have a sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭td2008

Was too late and it sold out :mad: I've signed up to their emails anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aidanathome

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭ArcticFox

That was me that bought those!

Lovely collection.

The guy selling them was completely genuine. Travels around the world for work so didn't have any boxes unfortunately. I was dubious at 1st as it seemed like too good of a price.

Selling the OVM if anyone is interested.

Delighted to hear that this was a genuine sale. Well done on a sound purchase! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Meranom just keeps belting them out, three variations on a theme

12227713_1141310785881595_3293790523229718781_n.jpg?oh=8503d280046d45b31698840c9ba1ca86&oe=56AD8634
    12239733_1139147346097939_7551215154764703721_n.jpg?oh=2149062a27afc24b0bccb229c4a54eb0&oe=56EDD7EC
    12189566_1138245456188128_9150405187562984111_n.jpg?oh=39f2130ba259d11ca1a113ddc2944f3f&oe=56F8B653

I'm liking those, particularly the second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I recently had a watch valued at around €1000. I'm just wondering where apart from in line is the best place to sell it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I recently had a watch valued at around €1000. I'm just wondering where apart from in line is the best place to sell it?

You could try offering it to bricks and mortar jewelry shops who sell second hand watches but it would need to be in exceptional condition and good providence for them to accept it.
    Even then you will not get anywhere near the 1000 above as they need to service it, add margin, tax etc before they can sell it on.

An auctioneers may sell if for you. They will take their 10% cut. But there is a risk that the watch does not meet your minimum or gets no offers at all...depends on who turns up on the day. Auctions tend to be 'sold as seen' so this is a risk that they buyer takes...that will be factored in to how much, or little, they are prepared to bid.

Online is the best chance you have of getting close the the real value for the watch as that exposes the watch to the largest market place and the costs to sell are minimal.
    Why dont you want to sell online?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

What watch is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Ryath wrote: »
    Bit below the usual watches but I like fossils more than any other fashion brand. Nice speedy homage for just over €50 if you have someone in the states to get it delivered to. Would make a nice beater. Could get it for €84 from the UK.

Been a long time since I bought a watch and need to scratch the itch but I'm smashed at the minute. Budget below €100 speedy or flieger style
    Really like the the look of this one but it's sold out everywhere.

Probably should just get this or stretch to a SKX007

Now what does that last watch remind me of.. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

893bet wrote: »
    What watch is it?

It's a Longines with a gold bracelet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It's a Longines with a gold bracelet

The problem with valuations is that they are worthless unless you get someone to buy what you're selling, if it was me I'd throw it up on Adverts. Otherwise get onto some resellers online to see if they'll take it.

Advertisement