Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

how many posts do you need to send a PM? Sellers name is "Watchdude".

http://forum.tz-uk.com/member.php?15979-Watchdude

Not checked out his hero villain status.

I'd say the 35mm stowa wears slightly bigger due to the dial. Really is a stunningly simple watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

You should be able to PM him without having access to Sales Corner I think.

If you click on the your link, on the left you should be able to send a PM?

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Eoin wrote: »
    You've to wait until you've 50 posts there and a certain amount of time. I can PM you the details of the thread if you want?

Yeah, if you would that would be great Eoin. Meanwhile I guess I need to start spamming that forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Mredsnapper

art wrote: »
    Yeah, if you would that would be great Eoin. Meanwhile I guess I need to start spamming that forum!

I don't think spamming is a good idea unless you want to get banned or get a bad rep.

As I slowly drag my way to further posts on TK ("that looks nice" - yawn), did notice this link which others might be interested in. Some really cheap Fleiger style watches about to be ready next month, pre-order price is excellent.

https://www.watchgecko.com/pre-order-geckota-k1-watch-head.html

My reason for not buying, have a 44mm Fleiger already.

• Advertisement

I don't think spamming is a good idea unless you want to get banned or get a bad rep.
    I wasn't being serious. Find that forum strangely unattractive though.

Like all forums it has it's ups and downs. Certainly a lot of bitching at times but also a lot of good humour at others and some genuinely knowledgeable people. As always, best not to feed the trolls and to encourage the good stuff.

Happy new year all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

art wrote: »
    I wasn't being serious. Find that forum strangely unattractive though.

PM sent. I find the forum useful for info about watches, where people can be very helpful. And the sales corner is great. But it can be a quite unpleasant place at the same time.

Someone buy that stowa before I do and sell it without wearing it a month later for 50-100 less.

This is the watch for those who can't see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Another Stowa - that makes the TZ one look like an even better bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

893bet wrote: »
    Someone buy that stowa before I do and sell it without wearing it a month later for 50-100 less.

What price is it can I ask?
    Not enough posts on that forum.

410gbp on stowa leather or 460 with an extra mesh bracelet

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Was in Kildare village today, there's a watch shop selling swatch group (tissot Hamilton longines ... )
    Saw a red longines hydroconquest for 730
    I believe rep is 1000 ish

Very good price if that's the 42mm automatic version.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

bbbbb wrote: »
    Was in Kildare village today, there's a watch shop selling swatch group (tissot Hamilton longines ... )
    Saw a red longines hydroconquest for 730
    I believe rep is 1000 ish

Was it quartz? If it is auto then it is a great price.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »

Though I don't think the auto is worth the full RRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

blue5000 wrote: »
    Think so, but not 100%

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Eoin wrote: »
    Though I don't think the auto is worth the full RRP.
    Though how many of them are these days E? Certainly in the mid tier price bracket, or what normal folks would call expensive.

Prices have been climbing steadily over the last decade(sometimes not so steadily, QV Zenith), but in the Hodinkee Age(™) the perception of price has been going up too. "Bargain" is touted at five grand or under, two grand or under for the cheapskates. They and other such sites, the industry and dealers/auction houses - who all know/feed off each other to an incestuous degree - are really pushing that marketing message. It's been really nose on your face obvious with the vintage market, where prices and the perception of prices have sky rocketed.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Though how many of them are these days E? Certainly in the mid tier price bracket, or what normal folks would call expensive.

Prices have been climbing steadily over the last decade(sometimes not so steadily, QV Zenith), but in the Hodinkee Age(™) the perception of price has been going up too. "Bargain" is touted at five grand or under, two grand or under for the cheapskates. They and other such sites, the industry and dealers/auction houses - who all know/feed off each other to an incestuous degree - are really pushing that marketing message. It's been really nose on your face obvious with the vintage market, where prices and the perception of prices have sky rocketed.

It's like that property bubble all over again but instead of developers, banks and newspapers selling advertising now we have manufacturers, dealers/auction houses and lifestyle websites selling watch myths and legends.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

It's like that property bubble all over again but instead of developers, banks and newspapers selling advertising now we have manufacturers, dealers/auction houses and lifestyle websites selling watch myths and legends.

And yet if any of us cashed in our (in my case humble) collections not too many of us would come out richer. I've only been at this 'hobby' a year and already some vintage stuff, eg. Longines has climbed.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Form an orderly queue folks, well known jewellers in Dublin city center has a Pepsi skx007 for the bargain price of €425!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Form an orderly queue folks, well known jewellers in Dublin city center has a Pepsi skx007 for the bargain price of €425!

Holy Crap....

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I thought they were around 150-200 quid mark, or has my lifestyle finally caught up with me and I've gone early stage dementia?

Then again.. not a shock. During the Boom(™) some of the prices Irish dealers were looking for were worthy of high farce. Good oul Paddy Price(™) applied liberally. Of course these gougers didn't lick this from a stone, too many Irish consumers are, or at least were, thicker than bottled pigshít when it came to what stuff actually costs. Too many, who found themselves flusher than they or their forebears had ever been, worked on the principle of "oh if it costs a lot, it must be worth a lot" and there were enough **** ready to exploit that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I thought I saw that watch for sale on Creation Watches for a fraction of that?

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

My one cost me the grand total of 135 euro inc. p&p just goes to show the markup the jewellers add on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Speaking of the mark up in jewellers, I was out and about early and very nearly picked up a Seiko SNDF37P1 as an impulse buy. €289 in the jewellers and yet Watch Hut have it for €156

$_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

There is the other side of this too, namely bricks and mortar shops must be finding it incredibly difficult with many online sales outlets with very little of the overheads can undercut them so easily and by so much.

I find Seikos in particular very dear here in Ireland, don't know whether that's an issue with the distributor we have perhaps? I've seen watches in the Premier range for around €900 that were €445 in central Paris for example, literally half the price. And also notice that one particular, popular, jeweller out in the, er, field, seems to always be a bit unrealistic with their watch prices (though that can be a helpful resource when making links for watch details inside Adverts!! :) ).

But I also see very comparable prices and good value to be had, especially in the lower mid range, eg Hamilton, Certina, some of the Tissots, I'd have no issue picking up one from a nice old fashioned shop. I think it is important people check out their local stores and not fall into the pattern of always looking online, to keep places where we can go and actually feel a watch and sometimes enjoy the more personal touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Not a great picture but saw this in Temple Bar Jewellers today, I'm a bit out of the loop but it seemed like a good price to me, even more so for a B&M store

Edit: That doesn't appear to be working so here's a link

http://i.imgur.com/NKwHxRs.jpg

Advertisement