Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Clareman wrote: »

If this was any other time of the year, I'd have this bought without hesitation, but Jesus, cash is tight just now!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It's coming from Singapore, I've a feeling I'm going to get a nasty tax bill for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aidanathome

It's coming from Singapore, I've a feeling I'm going to get a nasty tax bill for it.

Do let us know if you get charged.
    I got very lucky before Christmas with a purchase from Massdrop in the US. They calculated the tax on it, slapped a sticker on the package to claim the tax before delivery but then just delivered it, no questions asked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

http://www.adverts.ie/10209934

This seller dropped the price €100 within an hour or two of listing and is open to offers
    Seems cheap but I've been caught with a fake link before and had to send it back
    Hard to tell from the pics of its real
    The fake versions of this model are very good

If it's real a bargain could be had

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Do let us know if you get charged.
    I got very lucky before Christmas with a purchase from Massdrop in the US. They calculated the tax on it, slapped a sticker on the package to claim the tax before delivery but then just delivered it, no questions asked!

I bought 2 things from Massdrop before and never had any problems with delivery charges. I've had bad experiences with DHL in the past though so I'm expecting to get some kind of charge on it :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've had bad experiences with DHL in the past though so I'm expecting to get some kind of charge on it :(
    So far my experiences have been anything coming from the US or China will be intercepted. On the other hand for some reason stuff from pretty much everywhere else inc places like Peru and Columbia fly through. If they're sent by ordinary post. It's a given they'll be stopped if sent by courier.

Now to be fair I don't think I've ever got anything from outside the EU that would go over the allowance limit(and wouldn't advise it) so that makes a difference.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Worst case scenario it'll be 22 quid...bought a couple off them before and same every time....actually, I tell a lie, the tag was about 90 as a he'll of a lot more expensive...others were less then 150 and they declare the same value...

Oooh the excitement of getting a delivery, the watch was processed almost immediately by customs in Shannon so I'm assuming that I wont' be hit with a tax bill, I'll let ye know when I get it.
    Clearance processing complete at Shannon - Ireland, Republic of
    April 07, 2016
    08:43
    Shannon - Ireland, Republic of With delivery courier

Watch has arrived, it is a very nice piece, I'll take a pic and upload it to the other thread, I got caught for €23.62 worth of charges for it though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Watch has arrived, it is a very nice piece, I'll take a pic and upload it to the other thread, I got caught for €23.62 worth of charges for it though :(

Called it! But hey, it's likely that it still worked out a lot cheaper than the high street.i know one watch I got off them was about 270 in dundrum centre and I got it for about 100 cheaper including customs.also, the 22 includes 10 for Dhl handling charges...customs is about 25%...check what you paid and do the maths.....and then check the packaging....

• Advertisement

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Called it! But hey, it's likely that it still worked out a lot cheaper than the high street.i know one watch I got off them was about 270 in dundrum centre and I got it for about 100 cheaper including customs.also, the 22 includes 10 for Dhl handling charges...customs is about 25%...check what you paid and do the maths.....and then check the packaging....

Already done, the DHL guy was a watch fan as well, I'd a good chat what him about watches actually

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

blue5000 wrote: »

The yellow second hand has a *tiny* little bit of extra yellow paint on one side; this is a manufacturing defect I have also seen in other Damaskos, and which could potentially be fixed at servicing. A few very small scratches on sapphire crystal; the only one noticeable at a glance being roughly between the 9 & 10 hour markers, about 2 mm long. 5-55 minute bidirectional bezel does not always line up perfectly; manufacturing defect.....”

Fallen down the rabbit hole of watches lately and I was looking at a Stowa, which brought me on to Damasko and the DA36. Watched a video where the owner lists a few defects on his (very Expensive) bracelet.... And now I see this. Is this type of QA to be expected of Damasko?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Seiko SARB065 back up on mass drop for €323 delivered obviously you may get caught for customs.

MD-8428_20150612111249_82af47894a0d9a4f.jpg?auto=format&fm=jpg&fit=crop&w=507&dpr=1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Ryath wrote: »
    Seiko SARB065 back up on mass drop for €323 delivered obviously you may get caught for customs.

MD-8428_20150612111249_82af47894a0d9a4f.jpg?auto=format&fm=jpg&fit=crop&w=507&dpr=1

Excuse my ignorance, how likely is it that you'd be caught by customs?
    I've not used Massdrop before, but would be interested in that watch. is it 22% VAT that you'd have to pay? If so, it does bring the price up a good bit.

Cheers

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, how likely is it that you'd be caught by customs?
    I've not used Massdrop before, but would be interested in that watch. is it 22% VAT that you'd have to pay? If so, it does bring the price up a good bit.

Cheers

I've bought 2 things off them and I didn't have a problem with customs but you might be unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Not that great a price drop at the minute, it's selling at $408 elsewhere, postage included so about 360 euros. Does the price keep going down as the days pass? Might bite if it went lower.

art wrote: »
    Not that great a price drop at the minute, it's selling at $408 elsewhere, postage included so about 360 euros. Does the price keep going down as the days pass? Might bite if it went lower.

The price drops once more people sign up to buy it, if everyone keeps waiting for the price to drop it'll never drop

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭carrick76

Ryath wrote: »

Really like the look of the Cocktail Time but is it almost too dressy and would only be for suits?

Does anybody already own one of these? Is the strap as 'shiny' as it looks in the pictures? I guess it could be replaced easily but I do like the blue stitching.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's a nice enough watch A. It's about as military as Peppa Pig. More Bauhaus in design. Which is cool too. Looks pretty original. Small though at 36mm. Grand if you're like me with twigs in place of wrists, but not so fashionably "modern". Movement looks in OK condition. Hard to tell condition overall with the lighting. That can hide a multitude of issues.

Just over an hour to go with 8 bidders in play. I'd punt around a 100 quid at it myself. Not much more. Factor in a service soon too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

One which I think is worth watching, for those of us who like Rolex

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-RARE-VINTAGE-1944-ROLEX-KING-OF-WINGS-REF-4125-WITH-BEAUTIFUL-ORIGINAL-DIAL-/291732889750?hash=item43eca2a096:g:NUQAAOSwAvJXCBf9

Less than a day to go with 1500 quid on now.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Wibbs wrote: »
    It's a nice enough watch A. It's about as military as Peppa Pig. More Bauhaus in design. Which is cool too. Looks pretty original. Small though at 36mm. Grand if you're like me with twigs in place of wrists, but not so fashionably "modern". Movement looks in OK condition. Hard to tell condition overall with the lighting. That can hide a multitude of issues.

Just over an hour to go with 8 bidders in play. I'd punt around a 100 quid at it myself. Not much more. Factor in a service soon too.

Thanks for the reply Wibbs, ultimately Im looking for a nice clean WW2 watch but havent a notion where to start looking.

Depends what you're looking for A. Do you want a military issued piece, or a civilian of that period, or a military style though civilian. If issued, do you want German/US/British military?* The German stuff would be common enough. Though with a few exceptions they have plated brass cases so don't wear the years so well.

246tezb.jpg
    Army, navy, airforce. Stainless steel on the left, but you can really see the wear on the two on the right.

Size is an issue too. Outside of speciality tool watches, watches were much smaller than today's fashion. In that above trio the one on the right is the biggest at 35mm across. There are pilot watches of that era that are larger, 40mm up to 56mm(too big), but prices are higher.

Cost is the next thing. What's the budget you're happy with? For the german stuff pictured above you're talking around the 400 quid mark Buy It Now, unless you get lucky on a Bay auction. Fancy dealers would want double that. OH that's each BTW. For the larger pilots watches they start at around 500 for an unknown/less well known name on the dial and rapidly climb upwards from there like a Spitfire on boost. :D

*yes there were many others in the conflict, but watches are rare or expensive so for the purposes of this search..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

saccades wrote: »
    Never buying from Massdrop again. Bradystrap, rhd deployment and retro yobokies 55 fathoms dial and hands.

P1020143_zps1yudv6qt.jpg

This is a Blancpain homage, yeah? Saw a few of these floating around eBay. They look super. What are your feelings on these?

Wibbs wrote: »
    Depends what you're looking for A. Do you want a military issued piece, or a civilian of that period, or a military style though civilian. If issued, do you want German/US/British military?* The German stuff would be common enough. Though with a few exceptions they have plated brass cases so don't wear the years so well.

246tezb.jpg
    Army, navy, airforce. Stainless steel on the left, but you can really see the wear on the two on the right.

Size is an issue too. Outside of speciality tool watches, watches were much smaller than today's fashion. In that above trio the one on the right is the biggest at 35mm across. There are pilot watches of that era that are larger, 40mm up to 56mm(too big), but prices are higher.

Cost is the next thing. What's the budget you're happy with? For the german stuff pictured above you're talking around the 400 quid mark Buy It Now, unless you get lucky on a Bay auction. Fancy dealers would want double that. OH that's each BTW. For the larger pilots watches they start at around 500 for an unknown/less well known name on the dial and rapidly climb upwards from there like a Spitfire on boost. :D

*yes there were many others in the conflict, but watches are rare or expensive so for the purposes of this search..

Thanks again Wibbs,

I am interested in a watch with the most history. I have seen Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine quite often so it would be there I would hope to find some joy.

I also wouldnt mind an Elgin A11.

These watches wouldnt be everyday beaters, just nice to have history pieces to wear occassionally. I bought a Mosin Nagant and K98 in the last few weeks just to have and shoot occassionally. I like having history in my hands :)

Budget depends on the piece but something less than 350e I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

I bought a Mosin Nagant ...

Demolition Ranch on Youtube would approve.

Pique wrote: »
    Demolition Ranch on Youtube would approve.

Oh yes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pbquj-6MVc

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

This is a Blancpain homage, yeah? Saw a few of these floating around eBay. They look super. What are your feelings on these?

I really like them (it's why I had one built for when I go out on the lash, looks good, won't cry if it's ruined) - double check what you are getting on ebay, a lot on there have a $50 dial added to a $120 watch and you are charged £225, which is nice work for 15mins effort.

Once you notice that the stock snzh hands fall outside of the FFF dial parameter you'll always see it too.

There are few with more mods for a similar price, bradystrap really sets it off if you ask me.

Getting one built from yobokies would probably work out cheaper though (if you don't know anyone that can knock one together for you).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

The Seiko SNZH is a very versatile watch for modding. These are the first watches I ever completed myself, unfortunately both have since been sold on.

Seiko FFF mod, the watch was about $130 and dial I believe was $35. I spent about an hour doing the work, good fun if you have the patience for fitting the hands. It's a real good feeling when you close the case back and put the watch on your wrist

DSC05596_zpsf52a793f.jpg

BB tribute was under 200 completed, the dial and hands are better quality from Dagaz.

DSC05645.jpg

Advertisement