Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

I had one of these and never got around to modding it.
    25022011.JPG

They are an excellent watch for the money with the possible exception of the bracelet which is a little squeaky. I used mine as an excuse to buy one of these; I stripped it down and treated it with some silicon oil (and put it back together again).
    $_1.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

cheaper than meranom ...and in stock

s-l500.jpg
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/262399068626

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Seller says 'I was lucky enough to find this rare perfect movement calibre......'

The rest as they say is bull history.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LONGINES-Rare-Aged-1944-Stunning-Watch-Swiss-Caliber-15J-Vintage-Military-Style-/391434359452?hash=item5b234e529c:g:wh4AAOSwubRXEJp0

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Dodgy as feck. At least the seller is clear in describing it as a "marriage". It's a bitzer, a mongrel made up from different old parts with a new dial and case. Avoid like the plague BB.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    Dodgy as feck. At least the seller is clear in describing it as a "marriage". It's a bitzer, a mongrel made up from different old parts with a new dial and case. Avoid like the plague BB.

I'm shocked that it made £128.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

the Omega is a made up frankenwatch. Pretty much take it as a rule that if you see a watch's seconds subdial at the 9 o'clock position it's not original. Never mind that no wristwatch had that design of case or lugs at that time.

The Benson is nice, as is the Unicorn. I'd not be so sure in calling it a Rolex really. It was one of their trademarks back in the day(more for places like Australia, NZ IIRC?), the quality wouldn't be "Rolex level", though Rolex could be variable enough themselves back then.

To be fair it's not a bad price for a "ready to go" vintage collection. Still 580 quid could get you a very nice single vintage watch. For example, with a bit of patience it could get you a named "Trench" watch from 1914-18 handily enough. The watches would be small by today's standards too. around 30mm for the Benson and Unicorn I'd reckon.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

Incidentally the unicorn was mine originally and I had some minor repairs done to it and a strap added before I moved it on. It's in very nice condition considering the age.

Interesting photo choice. Prob a fake.

http://touch.adverts.ie/vintage/rolex/10414647

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

893bet wrote: »
    Interesting photo choice. Prob a fake.

http://touch.adverts.ie/vintage/rolex/10414647

How do you go from selling personalized bible and automatic washing line to a €8.5k rolex...

What bright spark takes a pic of the watch with his phone in the mirror...

His boney legs alone would put me off, also a lot of references speak to "her" the pics are defo not a "Her"

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

How do you go from selling personalized bible and automatic washing line to a €8.5k rolex...

What bright spark takes a pic of the watch with his phone in the mirror...

His boney legs alone would put me off, also a lot of references speak to "her" the pics are defo not a "Her"

Tempted to troll him with a "do u lift brah" or similar but the off chance he might be genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

The classy tats imply he may not have had the watch long.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Is it missing the pip? :eek:

Anybody going to be 40 next year?:D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOVELY-BULOVA-PRESIDENT-GENTS-VINTAGE-WATCH-SUPER-SLIM-CASE-GREAT-DIAL-1967-/351722915028?hash=item51e451c4d4:g:MCIAAOSw9ZdXJ2Nc

No movement pics, might be a decent vintage dress watch, still under €20 with 2 days to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aidanathome

blue5000 wrote: »
    Anybody going to be 40 next year?:D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOVELY-BULOVA-PRESIDENT-GENTS-VINTAGE-WATCH-SUPER-SLIM-CASE-GREAT-DIAL-1967-/351722915028?hash=item51e451c4d4:g:MCIAAOSw9ZdXJ2Nc

No movement pics, might be a decent vintage dress watch, still under €20 with 2 days to run.

Or 50 even! ;)

50 is the new 40:o

am 50 this year and am looking for something special...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

am 50 this year and am looking for something special...

Wow, you're doing alright for 50. I would have had you for 40 when we met a couple of years back.

I'd say Spurs title collapse aged you a few more ;)

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Wow, you're doing alright for 50. I would have had you for 40 when we met a couple of years back.

I'd say Spurs title collapse aged you a few more ;)

Thanks...

Yep that collapse certainly aged me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

40 next year, speedie or seamaster coming my way...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Max Bill Automatic 38mm sold by Amazon.fr for €575. Only one ref. but that's an amazing price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Max Bill Automatic 38mm sold by Amazon.fr for €575. Only one ref. but that's an amazing price.
    Nous sommes désolés, nous ne pouvons pas livrer cet article en Irlande

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

If they ship to the UK get parcelmotel to drop it down to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Thirdfox wrote: »
    If they ship to the UK get parcelmotel to drop it down to you.

Watches are not insured with Parcel motel
    I've had a few via them and all made it thankfully
    Worth bearing in mind

Watches are not insured with Parcel motel
    I've had a few via them and all made it thankfully
    Worth bearing in mind

That's one big can of worms, I see on another forum where empty boxes are arriving after going through ebay's global shipping programme in the states. Watches are a high value item that are easy to conceal, thankfully everything arrived safely so far.

blue5000 wrote: »
    That's one big can of worms, I see on another forum where empty boxes are arriving after going through ebay's global shipping programme in the states. Watches are a high value item that are easy to conceal, thankfully everything arrived safely so far.

Empty box thing is a scam isn't it
    So many scams lately with watches, I paid for a TAG Heuer alarm last week, seller said he will send me the tracking next day, heads nothing since
    Can't see the point in it, is he hoping I will just go away and forget my money lol
    Few hundred tied up now while I wait for PayPal to refund me
    Any TAG Heuer bargains around ????

I bough a Heuer Auctavia (Re-issue) couple years back.

It arrived, and was empty....

Went to seller, then Ebay...then the Guards

Finally Ebay gave me my cash back...but that was the end of buying big from ebay.

Empty box is now an option on PayPal dispute
    I've bought over 100 watches on eBay and adverts and never had an empty box
    It's not as common as people think, both parties have to go to the police and sign an affidavit as far as I know
    The most popular thing lately is not sending anything which has happened to me several times
    One fella told PayPal the riots in Northern Ireland may have interrupted the delivery (no riots at all lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

I had a no show about ten years ago with a guy in the UK, on eBay, who wrote to me to say "if you Irish weren't sending us bombs it wouldn't have gone missing"!

Advertisement