Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

Just ordered a black one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

lol. Welcome to the budget Submariner world. (love Tachmoan too btw)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CavnfqWepE

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Klopp

tempted to buy the black one but am trying hard to resist.. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

893bet wrote: »

I'm very surprised one of those ended up in Limerick. I imagine those will be very valuable in years to come.

Personally if I was going down the quirky speedy road I'd be all over the Alaska project model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I get the history and all that, but I think they're a bit naff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Eoin wrote: »
    Thank you. Yep, have to admit feeling the same. The Speedy is a fantastic watch and after the Rolex Sub and Seiko Diver(and vintage Vostok), my go to watch you should by yourself for non watch guys, but my god are they milking the apollo stuff at this stage. To an unseemly degree IMH.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

sparrowcar wrote: »
    I'm very surprised one of those ended up in Limerick. I imagine those will be very valuable in years to come.

Personally if I was going down the quirky speedy road I'd be all over the Alaska project model.

That might be valuable but I tend to think not. As omega will realised another snoopy in a few years no doubt. Then another....ad fin. Too diluted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

That might be valuable but I tend to think not. As omega will realised another snoopy in a few years no doubt. Then another....ad fin. Too diluted.

Agree...but Damn its nice

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Wibbs wrote: »
    Thank you. Yep, have to admit feeling the same. The Speedy is a fantastic watch and after the Rolex Sub and Seiko Diver(and vintage Vostok), my go to watch you should by yourself for non watch guys, but my god are they milking the apollo stuff at this stage. To an unseemly degree IMH.

Only getting warmed up, I reckon......wait for the 50th anniversary of the landing.....and before that we'll have all the 50th anniversaries of the various milestones.....including the first circumlunar flight which I'd imagine will yield some dark-faced Speedie!

• Advertisement

I am waiting for the brunch-time side of the moon edition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Guys and Gals,

I'm in the market for a relatively inexpensive sports/waterproof watch to wear whilst cycling/swimming etc on holidays and which will look OK if kept on at night for drinks/dinner.

A really cheap option would be this CIVO Men's Multifunctional Military Waterproof watch - https://www.amazon.co.uk/CIVO-Multifunctional-Military-Waterproof-Microfiber/dp/B01DJ4MRCM/ref=sr_1_3?s=watch&ie=UTF8&qid=1469186028&sr=1-3&keywords=sports+watch but this Columbia Switchback looks a good combination of function and value - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Columbia-Switchback-Digital-Watch-Bezel/dp/B008OSCWGK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1469185579&sr=8-1&keywords=Columbia+Switchback

Any other suggestions?

G-shock? Not very subtle, but probably not too different from the ones you've listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

G-shock? Not very subtle, but probably not too different from the ones you've listed.

Na, really don't like the G-shock style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

It's almost as bad as the popeye custom Rolex submariner

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Not one watch, but a micro brand. I don't have one, but if anyone is interested Chris Vail of Lew and Huey watches is launching a new series of watches next October, called NTH. The pre-order price is going up this weekend, so there seems to be a few of their older watches up for grabs this week as the fans offload now to avail of the low price of the new range this week.

For anyone interested you can go to janis trading to pre order or take a chance on some of the used ones on the market.

http://www.watchrecon.com/?brand=lew+%26+huey

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Massdrop Sea Urchins shipped…now for Customs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Bateman wrote: »
    Massdrop Sea Urchins shipped…now for Customs :)

Mine still says "order placed with vendor".

Damn you!

Edit: Mine shipped :)
    Got the email last night.

Massdrop Sea Urchins shipped now for Customs :)
    I got one in the last drop and didn't get hit for customs.

YMMV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Just to note, Massdrop used DHL and then DHL just dropped the package into the regular post making tracking impossible.
    But it arrived fairly timely and I never heard from customs – would have no hesitation using Massdrop again if something I like came up (hopefully an SK007 :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Just to note, Massdrop used DHL and then DHL just dropped the package into the regular post making tracking impossible.
    But it arrived fairly timely and I never heard from customs – would have no hesitation using Massdrop again if something I like came up (hopefully an SK007 :) )

I got mine too and very happy with it.

No custom issues either :)

Not exactly a bargain at $2345, massdrop have Nomos tangomat in stock

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/nomos-tangomat-ahoi-watch?referer=RF5DQV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

blue5000 wrote:
    Not exactly a bargain at $2345, massdrop have Nomos tangomat in stock

It is pretty. One of my 'money no object' dreams.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Ionised wrote: »
    It is pretty. One of my 'money no object' dreams.

You'd be mad to select the Tangomat; for a small bit more you could get it direct from Nomos. Love their watches, seriously considering a Tangente for myself in the next few weeks. Really like the Ahoi Atlantik, but fear it would be ridiculously large on my wrist... also it's twice the price I'd be willing/able to pay.

Maybe they'll drop it $50:D

I like the dark blue tetra myself, don't have any spare money either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Ionised

I wouldn't be buying on massdrop for that kind of money!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

I've been torturing myself over this one. I was in their shop on Monday and they have this on display at £2910 with a 50%-off sticker. I've always said that when I get a normal Speedie (I've already got an X33) it would have to be a pre-moon and I've made the mistake of buying the "wrong" watch before and subsequently ended up selling it.

http://www.thewatchgallery.com/shop/pre-owned-omega-speedmaster-steel-black-dial-mens-watch-16104.html

I still think it's a good deal but you'd need to do some due diligence on what it comes with.

Looks like a nice dent in the bezel at the 76 mark, if you are overly worried about that sort of thing. Spending £3k on a watch, personally I would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

Pique wrote: »
    Spending £3k on a watch, personally I would be.

Indeed but it's not £3k - it's £1455.

Advertisement