Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

For that kind of money, if you do not get on with it no worries. It should be an easy piece to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aidanathome

Dunston wrote: »

Have never heard of the brand, but looks like one of those "deals" where the original price is complete rubbish, and they "drop" it to a still expensive price to make it look good.
    I'd stay away.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/experiences-heritor-watches-951914.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00M4DC7J8/ref=pe_385721_148099181_TE_item

Always liked these and the price has never been as low as £165

dKPXdZj.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's a bargain in my humble.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

The price on that Bolova didn't last - back up at £209.40 already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

This will be coming up shortly on an Amazon deal if anyone is interested.

Amzdeal® 20 Grids Watch Display Box Case Watch Jewellery Storage Box Faux Leather(Black) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00WTTI7LO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_M2cYxb8A2DW85

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Curious...this can't be right, can it? Aqua Terra for 1602 sterling? Am I missing something? Anywhere else I've seen them priced would be for a good bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

It's the smaller 38.5mm version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

It's the quartz version

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Seiko 5 military automatic €68 delivered. Surely you can't go wrong here? These and the cheapest Vostoks must be the best automatic beaters for this kinda money?

SNK807K2_LRG.jpg

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

Always better to buy from Amazon if price is similar than from outside EU. You even pay the Irish VAT that way to pay for our hospitals / schools :)

One gotcha on the Seiko I just spotted is that it's only "water resistant". If I understand that right, it means it can handle a bit of rain, but not showering / swimming? That would be a show stopper for me...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I was thinking about one for the 10 yr old, but he'd have to wear it all the time though to keep the day/date right. He likes the numbers for the minutes.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

unkel wrote: »
    One gotcha on the Seiko I just spotted is that it's only "water resistant". If I understand that right, it means it can handle a bit of rain, but not showering / swimming? That would be a show stopper for me...
    They don't/can't say water proof on watches any more U(and not since the early 70's in Europe. Can be a dating method). It's the depth rating that matters. Something expensive like a Rolex Submariner has a 300 metre(IIRC) depth water resistance. Here's a handy chart for perusal:

water_resistance_map.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

At 200m, it's wearable around skins ... that's handy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

What about my Boschett cave dweller with it's 1000m rating? How could they forget about us cave dwellers :D

*I've never been deeper than 12m scuba diving in the ocean :pac:*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Water resistance?
    As a vintage watch lover I am almost disappointed if a watch does not steam up a little when it rains.
    Almost.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    They don't/can't say water proof on watches any more

Now you're confusing me. The rating of the watch is "water resistant" as I stated, isn't it? And doesn't that mean exactly what I implied (wash face and walk in rain, but not swimming, etc.)?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

unkel wrote: »
    Now you're confusing me. The rating of the watch is "water resistant" as I stated, isn't it? And doesn't that mean exactly what I implied (wash face and walk in rain, but not swimming, etc.)?

Nope, they will all describe themselves as water resistant and provide a depth. For example an Omega Ploprof 1200 describes itself as water resistant to a depth of 1200m, approx 10 times atmospheric pressure. The deepest a human has dived is approx 1,000 feet, ie less than 1/3rd the suggested resistance of the Plongeur Professional!

If a watch just says water resistance, with no depth rating, I'd reckon it's best to assume going out in the rain will be the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Wibbs wrote: »
    If a watch just says water resistance, with no depth rating, I'd reckon it's best to assume going out in the rain will be the limit.

If it complies with ISO 2281, which a Japanese watch should do, "Water Resistant" with no depth rating means 20m

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Anjobe wrote: »
    If it complies with ISO 2281, which a Japanese watch should do, "Water Resistant" with no depth rating means (what?) 20m
    Does it mean it's actually waterproof to 20m? If so why wouldn't the manufacturer state that so they can sell more watches???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭amacca

Does it mean it's actually waterproof to 20m? If so why wouldn't the manufacturer state that so they can sell more watches???

This could be horribly garbled misinformation but

is it not an advertising legal standards thing?....you leave yourself open to legal challenge if you describe something like a watch case as water proof even though thats not actually possible

were a load of manufacturers in the past not claiming their watches were waterproof which was effectively a lie as you can't guarantee absolutely no water ingress into something like a watchcase?

So instead you have to specify the degree to which it will resist water ingress in terms of depth/pressure....maybe 20m not worth boasting about?

The ISO 2281 test for water resistant watches specifies, among other things, that it must resist water ingress for 10 minutes at the specified depth/pressure, or 2 atm (20m) if no depth/pressure is specified. Japan adopted the ISO standard as JIS B 7021, so Japanese made watches should comply.

amacca wrote: »

is it not an advertising legal standards thing?....you leave yourself open to legal challenge if you describe something like a watch case as water proof even though thats not actually possible

were a load of manufacturers in the past not claiming their watches were waterproof which was effectively a lie as you can't guarantee absolutely no water ingress into something like a watchcase?

So instead you have to specify the degree to which it will resist water ingress in terms of depth/pressure....maybe 20m not worth boasting about?

This is the case, pretty much. The ISO attempted to standardise the rating of water resistant and diver's watches as ISO 2281 and ISO 6425 respectively. Unfortunately, though these standards are widely used in the industry they are only enforceable if adopted as a national standard by the country of manufacture, which is the case in Japan and Germany but not in Switzerland I believe.

The only watch maker I can think of who explicitly state the standards that their watches comply with is Sinn. I remember reading some correspondence once between Omega and an SMP owner who was trying to find out if his watch was an ISO 6425 diver's watch. Omega were very evasive on the subject. Can't remember if it was on here or TZ-UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

amacca wrote: »

But in the case of the Seiko would it still not be commercially advantageous to state that it is in fact waterproof to 20m (thus covering 99% of wearers everyday activities) and thereby making the watch more attractive to potential buyers than to understate its attributes and merely say it's splash-proof meaning people can't wear it showering or messing around in a swimming pool on holiday etc.?

• Advertisement

But in the case of the Seiko would it still not be commercially advantageous to state that it is in fact waterproof to 20m (thus covering 99% of wearers everyday activities) and thereby making the watch more attractive to potential buyers than to understate its attributes and merely say it's splash-proof meaning people can't wear it showering or messing around in a swimming pool on holiday etc.?

No manufacturer has put "Waterproof" on their watch in years. It implies that water will never get in, which is an impossibility as already stated.

If a watch has the words "Water Resistant" on it, it should adhere to the ISO 2281 standard which means it will resist water ingress at the rated depth for 10 minutes. The minimum depth for a water resistant rating is 20m, so watches only specify a depth greater than this. A water resistant watch could suffer water ingress at less than the rated depth if exposed for longer than 10 minutes, hence the handy usage guide that Wibbs posted earlier in the thread.

Advertisement