Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Anjobe wrote: »
    No manufacturer has put "Waterproof" on their watch in years. It implies that water will never get in, which is an impossibility as already stated.

Said with such authority yet I know my GMT II documentation says "Waterproof" and here's a screen shot from the Rolex website today

Capture-49-261475080798.png

Any comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Said with such authority yet I know my GMT II documentation says "Waterproof" and here's a screen shot from the Rolex website today

Any comment?

Its a bit naughty, but as far as I know the ISO standards, which actually prohibit the term waterproof, only apply to markings on the watch itself and not to advertising and marketing materials.

Anjobe wrote: »
    Its a bit naughty, but as far as I know the ISO standards, which actually prohibit the term waterproof, only apply to markings on the watch itself and not to advertising and marketing materials.

How is it a bit naughty? They don't use the word "waterproof" on the watch anywhere but they do clearly describe certain models as "waterproof" which IMO sounds better than the evasive Omega experience described above.

If you are right that it's "impossible" for a watch to be waterproof shouldn't someone alert all the people who stupidly bought waterproof watches like the Rolex Sea Dweller thinking it was "waterproof to a depth of 12,800 feet" (like anyone is going to get that deep given the world record scuba dive is only 1,090 feet) when in fact it's only splash proof? :D

Capture-13-111475092957.png

Even if what you are saying is correct (and Rolex are blatantly mis advertising their products) why should Casio's marketing material say splash proof meaning it shouldn't be worn when showering and messing about in a pool when the more correct description is that it is in fact waterproof up to 20m?? Isn't it unusual for a company to undersell the attributes of it's product?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

How is it a bit naughty? They don't use the word "waterproof" on the watch anywhere but they do clearly describe certain models as "waterproof" which IMO sounds better than the evasive Omega experience described above.

If you are right that it's "impossible" for a watch to be waterproof shouldn't someone alert all the people who stupidly bought waterproof watches like the Rolex Sea Dweller thinking it was "waterproof to a depth of 12,800 feet" (like anyone is going to get that deep given the world record scuba dive is only 1,090 feet) when in fact it's only splash proof? :D

Even if what you are saying is correct (and Rolex are blatantly mis advertising their products) why should Casio's marketing material say splash proof meaning it shouldn't be worn when showering and messing about in a pool when the more correct description is that it is in fact waterproof up to 20m?? Isn't it unusual for a company to undersell the attributes of it's product?

I don't believe anyone has suggested that a Rolex Deep Seadweller is merely splashproof, and evasion is probably preferable to a claim that is patently untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Round and round we go, where we stop, no one knows.

This should be a separate thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mod: OK folks lets get back to the topic at hand. :mad::D:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Wibbs wrote: »
    Mod: OK folks lets get back to the topic at hand. :mad::D:D

First I was like .. woo whooo... Wibbs has posted in the bargains thread, what kinda wallet opening coolness is he tempting me with ?
    Then I was all like.. ahh man , he's giving out to someone. And sobbed for a moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Right, to help out.... a single hand watch:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/slow-Jo-17-Vintage-Analogue/dp/B00GOEZQLE/ref=lp_11235112031_1_1?s=watch&ie=UTF8&qid=1475163883&sr=1-1

This is a genuine drop in price, 260 euros on the makers website. Reason for not buying is as I already own one! Well made watch, case in particular is good with soft edges. Readability improves with use. An opportunity to dip the toe in the waters (argh, don't go there) of single hand watches ...

art wrote: »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/slow-Jo-17-Vintage-Analogue/dp/B00GOEZQLE/ref=lp_11235112031_1_1?s=watch&ie=UTF8&qid=1475163883&sr=1-1

This is a genuine drop in price, 260 euros on the makers website. Reason for not buying is as I already own one! Well made watch, case in particular is good with soft edges. Readability improves with use. An opportunity to dip the toe in the waters (argh, don't go there) of single hand watches ...

But is it waterproof?? :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭aidanathome

Winterlong wrote: »

I was intrigued until I saw the price of postage from Argentina! Probably better off!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I don't know if this is a bargain or not, but if there are any lew and huey fans here it might be worth a look anyway

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-bnib-unworn-nth-nacken-vintage-black-3663010.html

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

art wrote: »

Not sure if I would find a single hand watch immensely satisfying or frustrating!
    Somehow I doubt I would be anywhere in between.
    Tempted to put it on the Santa list

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Not sure if I would find a single hand watch immensely satisfying or frustrating!
    Somehow I doubt I would be anywhere in between.
    Tempted to put it on the Santa list

I saw a single hand 12 hour clock tower recently in Spain and was impressed by how simple it was to read.

Made me wonder why there aren't more common.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

https://www.aldi.ie/round-aviation-watch/p/071937054557400

"Round Aviation Watch" €39.99

Unspecified auto movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

blindsider wrote: »

"Round Aviation Watch" €39.99

Unspecified auto movement.

Any opinions other than the unusually short hands? Worth a punt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

They also have square ones that look very Bell & Ross

https://www.aldi.ie/square-aviation-watch/p/071937090542101

Longines SS bracelet with spares/repairs watch might be worth a punt. £11.50 and just over an hour to run.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332016463130

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Any opinions other than the unusually short hands? Worth a punt?

Usually have a half decent chinese movement - perfect beater watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

ghostchant wrote: »
    They also have square ones that look very Bell & Ross

https://www.aldi.ie/square-aviation-watch/p/071937090542101

This style tends to wear huuuuge. I'd a Steinhart one and it would barely fit under a jumper, let alone a shirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Eoin wrote: »
    This style tends to wear huuuuge. I'd a Steinhart one and it would barely fit under a jumper, let alone a shirt.

Yeah they almost certainly wouldn't work for me with my puny wrists. Never tried on a watch in that style before though. Anything above 42m and I generally have to pass. Seiko Tuna with its thankfully tiny lugs being the happy exception.

Did anybody get a look at Aldi's watch? Automatic, see through caseback and only 40 yoyo. Any idea what movement it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

blue5000 wrote: »
    Did anybody get a look at Aldi's watch? Automatic, see through caseback and only 40 yoyo. Any idea what movement it is?

anyone on here get one? Just wondering what size they were

Nice clear dial by all accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    anyone on here get one? Just wondering what size they were

Nice clear dial by all accounts

44mm apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Not sure where this question belongs, but it doesn't deserve its own thread :) :

How is NYC price-wise for watches, or does anyone have any recommendations? Will probably pull the trigger soon after months of dilly-dallying and would be kinda nice to have one from a trip like that. Looking at Longines in particular.

Not sure where this question belongs, but it doesn't deserve its own thread :) :

How is NYC price-wise for watches, or does anyone have any recommendations? Will probably pull the trigger soon after months of dilly-dallying and would be kinda nice to have one from a trip like that. Looking at Longines in particular.

Hi Frankie,

If you are thinking of making a big investment e.g. in a Rolex and you are spending a week or two in the US travelling around then I can personally recommend http://www.springersjewelers.com in New Hampshire and it's important you go to their New Hampshire store as New Hampshire doesn't charge GST which is the US equivalent of VAT thus making your purchase considerably cheaper.

I purchased a Rolex GMTII from Springers in 2008 for $6,825 which equated to €4,300 at the time Vs €6,200 now :eek:

I think GMTII's including GST/VAT currently retail for about $8,000 in NY (this unworn but secondary market one is available on Chrono24 for $7,700) so you'd save up to $1,200 buying it in New Hampshire which would pay for a leisurely train trip up there (it's a lovely part of the world) and a couple of nights in a hotel with food etc ;)

This website tracks the RRP of Rolex's and claims the current retail price for the GMTII is €7,700 which equates to about €8,400 so if you can get it (or a similarly special/expensive watch) GST free in New Hampshire especially with a weakening US$ you could "save" quite a bit relative to the price you'd pay this side of the pond.

Edit: Apologies, just saw the Longines reference now. I originally saw the reference to buying on a trip to NY and as I'd done exactly the same thing during a holiday in 2008 I dove straight in with both feet and ended up posting what is probably an irrelevant load of drivel. :-(

They're not as well known over there, there's a thread on WUS about how hard it is to sell a used Longines in the US, I suggest do some research in the used market before you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

It's a bit of a minefield especially down at the diamond district but there is definitely value to be had if you don't mind grey market purchase.
    Do your homework and plenty of research before you commit to anything and look for online feedback for any jewellers before you buy..
    Dollar may even rally a little bit after todays election results, you never know!
    If you've never been before some of the diamond district stores can look shabby and they don't all have actual shopfronts!
    There is a reasonably well known jewellers there that I have made a significant purchase from in the past twice and they simply have a counter inside a store with dozens of other jewellers.. That's how some of them keep the cost down.
    That being said and as mentioned the Longines brand wouldn't be a big seller so you may not find them as plentiful as in europe..
    Couple of years ago when the euro was worth $1.40 there were big savings to be made.. If you could get it in a state with little or no tax even better! Not so much anymore but like I said do your homework and there are still some savings to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Doesn't look bad for an eighty quid watch (well 60 stg) has a cyclops too. Its quartz though.
    Amazon link

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Doesn't look bad for an eighty quid watch (well 60 stg) has a cyclops too. Its quartz though.
    Amazon link

I love this bit of the product blurb:

"Stuhrling Original remains committed to its mission of preserving the high standards set in Switzerland manufacturing all of their fine timepieces in their Swiss-owned factory."

Just because the factory's "Swiss-owned" doesn't mean it's actually in Switzerland . . . a bit like "Irish Smoked Salmon" vs "Smoked Irish Salmon".

Advertisement