Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Thanks for the responses lads, greatly appreciated. Looks like I've a bit more checking up to do before I think about a purchase over there! Didn't realise the Longines brand wasn't as strong over there - good to know, so thanks for that. Just found out they have an Hour Passion*, might have a wee look in there for the craic (though not expecting much).

@Homer - I was thinking the exact same thing in relation to the exchange rate and their new glorious leader - fingers crossed!
    @Je Suis Jean - not completely irrelevant - I've a mate who's considering changing his datejust, so I'll pass that to him - thanks!

*Incidentally, if anyone is interested, Hour Passion down in KV are doing 10% off if you have the voucher thingy from their mailing list. Think there's more off in the other watch shop.

Double post. Up Trump!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Thanks for the responses lads, greatly appreciated. Looks like I've a bit more checking up to do before I think about a purchase over there! Didn't realise the Longines brand wasn't as strong over there - good to know, so thanks for that. Just found out they have an Hour Passion*, might have a wee look in there for the craic (though not expecting much).

@Homer - I was thinking the exact same thing in relation to the exchange rate and their new glorious leader - fingers crossed!
    @Je Suis Jean - not completely irrelevant - I've a mate who's considering changing his datejust, so I'll pass that to him - thanks!

*Incidentally, if anyone is interested, Hour Passion down in KV are doing 10% off if you have the voucher thingy from their mailing list. Think there's more off in the other watch shop.

~Any harm to ask what you are after? Hour passion in KV have 15% off for members if you spend more than €1000 for a week or so in the private sale. The legend diver seems to be getting a lot of luv, any used ones that come up for sale get snapped up pretty fast.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    ~Any harm to ask what you are after? Hour passion in KV have 15% off for members if you spend more than €1000 for a week or so in the private sale. The legend diver seems to be getting a lot of luv, any used ones that come up for sale get snapped up pretty fast.

I've already emailed them to ask :pac: They don't have it. :( I was thinking the Conquest GMT with the blue dial.

The Heritage Diver 1967 would be nice, but with the trip and then Xmas coming up, I don't think that's really an option :P

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

I was thinking the Conquest GMT with the blue dial.

I picked one up a while back and it's quite a nice watch but I would suggest you try one on before you buy.

It's advertised as a 41mm watch but with the sizeable crown and guards at 3 it wears bigger. The watch also sits higher on my wrist than any other watch I currently own, it's just over 14mm and in the hand it looks normal but when on the wrist it's noticeable. The lugs are 20mm but the bracelet tapers to 18mm and with the height I reckon it could sit unbalanced for some.

In some reviews you will see comments regarding rotor noise and at times you will hear it, it doesn't bother me but again something to be aware of. The biggest drawback for me is that it doesn't have a screw down crown, what's the point of a travel watch if it can't get wet? That's actually petty of me considering I always bring 2 or 3 on hols anyways :o

The blue dial was another reason for me to buy and it changes colour depending on the light.

20160704_122338_zpsb3drrtgh.jpg

20160712_195537_zpsfyjkocjt.jpg

My reply may seem negative to the watch but none of the above bother me in the slightest and I am a real fan of the watch. I have large wrists so the watch wears quite nice but I am a fickle flipper and whats good today could be gone tomorrow :o

One to look at is the Longines Legend Diver which is an absolute cracking watch and for me ticks every box. Great heritage and is a true diver which also wears really nice as a dress watch.

20160701_161346_zpspkbdegfk.jpg

Longines gets a lot of negative opinions these days but I am a fan.

20160723_155513_zpsuxpofj2g.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

HDMI wrote: »
    I am a fickle flipper and whats good today could be gone tomorrow

Yes.. yes he is! I can attest to that having dealt with richard many times. I guess we all are guilty of wanting to try different makes and models so flipping works well for everyone in our little community.

I picked one up a while back

I spotted your post in the Pics thread and I've been keeping an eye on the sticky sale thread just in case, but no dice as yet :P

Maybe the following doesn't ring that true :pac:
    I am a fickle flipper and whats good today could be gone tomorrow :o
    It's advertised as a 41mm watch but with the sizeable crown and guards at 3 it wears bigger. The watch also sits higher on my wrist than any other watch I currently own, it's just over 14mm and in the hand it looks normal but when on the wrist it's noticeable. The lugs are 20mm but the bracelet tapers to 18mm and with the height I reckon it could sit unbalanced for some.

In some reviews you will see comments regarding rotor noise and at times you will hear it, it doesn't bother me but again something to be aware of. The biggest drawback for me is that it doesn't have a screw down crown, what's the point of a travel watch if it can't get wet? That's actually petty of me considering I always bring 2 or 3 on hols anyways :o

Thank you for this, much appreciated. I'd defo be looking to try it before I buy. The current watch is 43mm, so hopefully there wouldn't be too much of a difference (though a little shorter at 11mm).

Depends on your perception of a bargain but mass drop.com have just listed a Glycine Airman Base 22 Watch at $700 plus shipping which works out around €670 (less possible customs fees if it gets caught) which is a damn sight cheaper than anywhere else I can see it online?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/glycine-base-watch?referer=DQVWQW

Glycine-Watch-Airman-Base-22-GMT-200m-Automatic-3887.18-MB-3887.18-MB-2.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

From the 1960's. Two French LIP electronic dress watches in new old stock condition.

$_12.JPG

IMHO that's a "bargain".

Another battery boy here. This time running an ESA high beat movement.

$_57.JPG

Late 1960's early 70's diver in great condition in the fashionable tonneau style case. Swiss movement and a decent enough size with a screwdown crown? Nice. IMH. Never heard of the brand, but apparently they hail from Italy. Looks like rebranding and it's 100% Swiss under the bonnet mind you. If that was a basic rattled out in their millions mechanical movement with even a slightly better known name on the dial the price would be many multiples of what it is.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Wibbs, do you have any idea of the size/model of those LIP watches?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

For the Seiko lovers - I was browsing Amazon warehouse deals, which have a further 20% off at checkout

Link

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wibbs, do you have any idea of the size/model of those LIP watches?
    You're looking at around the 35mm size range, so not as fashionably large as many watches today. Nice on the smaller wrist or for a woman. Crazy thing is if the straps were sold on their own as 18mm real crocodile straps you'd likely get over a hundred quid for the two.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Wibbs wrote: »
    You're looking at around the 35mm size range, so not as fashionably large as many watches today. Nice on the smaller wrist or for a woman. Crazy thing is if the straps were sold on their own as 18mm real crocodile straps you'd likely get over a hundred quid for the two.

That's my thinking. It might be a nice alternative to the Daniel Wellington route for Christmas.

I'd probably only be doing it for myself though. :o

Then you'd have a spare. :D But they would be a far cooler timepiece than many out there. A French maker with a very long and interesting history. One of the first "electronic" watch movements and certainly one of the most robust and successful. Oh and they "tick" like a mechanical, so smoother sweep, not like most quartz that tick once per second.

I know the name of this thread is "bargain watch I'm not buying", but I just bought this Seiko from Amazon warehouse for £35stg with free shipping and 20% discount (but I'll send it via Parcel Motel)

512bUikYccL._AC_US160_.jpg

dudara wrote: »
    I just bought
    *Banned* :D

Bloody hell D, you can't go too far wrong for 35 UK quids all in for a Seiko. :eek:

*Banned* :D

Bloody hell D, you can't go too far wrong for 35 UK quids all in for a Seiko. :eek:

Ban me?? What now :)

Seriously, at £35stg it's an absolute steal.

I also have the navy faced Sekio 5 from that page, which I paid $100 for a few years back in NY. Stellar watch, so a great buy at the Amazon price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

The Pryngeps is an interesting one - it's a good job I've just spent up two months budget on some other exotica. I nearly bought one in a junk shop in Berlin a couple of years ago - on the plus side it bore some resemblance to a UG Polerouter but it had a plated, base-metal case - that was the deal-breaker. I get the impression that they never actually made their own stuff and just commissioned/bought stuff in.

• Advertisement

I get the impression that they never actually made their own stuff and just commissioned/bought stuff in.
    Seems to be the deal alright. I'm so tempted by the Pryngeps myself. It looks like a larger version of my very first childhood watch. Sadly budget constraints are also in play.

If that was a basic rattled out in their millions mechanical movement with even a slightly better known name on the dial the price would be many multiples of what it is.
    Not even a better known name, basic level automatic movement and in rag order aesthetically, so likely needs at least a basic service, but goes for 210 euro with a flurry of bids.

I saw these pop up on social media a while back and as Montauk is somewhere I have spent a good bit of time, it caught my eye.. they are currently offering 20% off for black friday so some here might be interested (around €200 delivered).. Scandinavian sourced leather for the straps, Miyota 2025 quartz (I know!!) movement..

0010012015005.jpg

14478312_1662347610760369_8266198459946631168_n.jpg?ig_cache_key=MTM0NjI0ODc1NjA4MTEzODcyNA%3D%3D.2

All the info here.. https://www.ivywatchco.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Black Friday deal on INVICTA Pro Diver Men's Quartz Watch with Analogue Display and Silver Stainless Steel Bracelet for £52. I've no idea whether that's good or bad but it looks nice!!

81xdcyxUzL1480011831.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Oris Williams day date only $619 from world of watches linky. Would work out about €720ish after duty, so a pretty decent deal as they retail for well over €1K.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Amazon have the 32mm Mondaine Quartz half price @ £77 looks like a decent price (and what i would consider the right price) for a nice watch. Black Friday 24 hour offer blah blah

Mrs Gucci would probably be getting one for Xmas if she hadn't requested something else quite specific this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

gucci wrote: »
    Amazon have the 32mm Mondaine Quartz half price @ £77 looks like a decent price (and what i would consider the right price) for a nice watch. Black Friday 24 hour offer blah blah

Mrs Gucci would probably be getting one for Xmas if she hadn't requested something else quite specific this year.

To be brutally honest, that watch looks cheap as chips and tacky as hell.

New Bond Nato for my speedy sitting at home for me. Sure I'll look like a knob but I don't care.

Keyzer wrote: »
    To be brutally honest, that watch looks cheap as chips and tacky as hell.
    Tastes differ. The watch face is a design icon(QV Swiss railway clock). Doesn't mention if the case is steel. likely not. As I say tastes differ and that's cool.

• Advertisement

Tastes differ. The watch face is a design icon(QV Swiss railway clock). Doesn't mention if the case is steel. likely not. As I say tastes differ and that's cool.

Absolutely...

Advertisement