Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

peasant wrote: »
    Brandnew automatic chronograph for under € 400 delivered and customs paid, that's serious value.

Reason I'm not buying:
    I'm a rolled-up sleeves kinda guy...at only 3 ATM this is not Ireland-proof for me

The import charges always stun me. $88 on a $245 watch. :mad:
    Still a hell of a deal though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

A breitling chrono from the 50s (I would say) that has not been moving in price. Sitting at 350 at the moment with 40 odd shipping.
    Anyone who gets this for less than 700 is doing well. The dial is restored apparently but looks perfect IMO. Buren movement.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/262858625085?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Not sure where's best to put this, but seeing as there was a bit of discussion earlier in the thread...

Curious if anyone had any opinions on/experience with Lew and Huey watches? Are they decent quality/decent value for money? Would you bother or just go for something like a Steinhart instead for that kind of wedge?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Not sure where's best to put this, but seeing as there was a bit of discussion earlier in the thread...

Curious if anyone had any opinions on/experience with Lew and Huey watches? Are they decent quality/decent value for money? Would you bother or just go for something like a Steinhart instead for that kind of wedge?

Thanks!

I own three L&H watches - a Phantom and two Commander 300s. They are decent quality but not at the full retail prices he asks. I haven't held any of the NTH subs but they do have a big fan club, although again I have seen comments that they are overpriced at retail. His shipping to Ireland is also expensive - $50 if I remember correctly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I have been interested in them for a while, but never took the plunge yet, there is a UK seller on ebay who might be a bit cheaper for P&P. From reading on WUS some of them had crown threading issues, early ones mostly. Any pics rwbug?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

rwbug wrote: »
    I own three L&H watches - a Phantom and two Commander 300s. They are decent quality but not at the full retail prices he asks. I haven't held any of the NTH subs but they do have a big fan club, although again I have seen comments that they are overpriced at retail. His shipping to Ireland is also expensive - $50 if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the reply. Look pretty cool, but wouldn't really know if they'd be a respected piece.
    blue5000 wrote: »
    I have been interested in them for a while, but never took the plunge yet, there is a UK seller on ebay who might be a bit cheaper for P&P. From reading on WUS some of them had crown threading issues, early ones mostly. Any pics rwbug?

From what I can see on the website, see red text in description here, it's shipped from the UK now so whatever price is there is what you pay, no customs etc. And free shipping. Unless I've completely missed something (which is very possible)?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

L&H seem over priced at €540 and I much prefer Steinhart, at least it will hold it's value better. L&H seem to take a nose dive on resale.

I really fancied an Orthos but Doc didn't do himself any himself any favours when the crown issue popped up and lost a lot of potential customers as a result. He really came across a little ignorant with no interest in his customers kind of guy, unless you are part of his watchuseek "in crowd" who he looks after.

But he makes a nicely designed watch and has a good following.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This Longines has to be good value at £500?

001_zpsumzekoae.jpg

Restricted access on TZ-UK, but if you want more details from the thread, I can PM them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

Very good value for a full set under warranty! There appears to be a PM on the way to the seller about half an hour ago. That won't hang around long at that price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-vintage-LONGINES-swiss-military-WWll-wristwatch-cal-12-68N-/162421247609?hash=item25d10f8e79:g:hxwAAOSw32lYvdHB

Still a few hours to run on this, but, and it's a big BUT it's from the Ukraine, $76 though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That actually doesn't look too bad IMH. If it's a redial it's a damned good one. OK It's not actually "military" and it's small by today's standards and there's quite a bit of wear to the case, but depending on how much it goes for...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Well the feedback is 100% and free shipping as well, might be a seller to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

Looking at the stuff he's sold, which consist mainly of questionable pocket watch conversions, I'd steer well clear.

924100554_o.jpg?nc=636252515867077061
    918553569_o.jpg?nc=636252516873957477
    s-l1600.jpg
    922207593_o.jpg?nc=636252517202320310

There's one born every minute and that seems to be where his feedback is from.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Vostok has new "classic" Amphibias again..and Meranom currently offers free shipping.

A few nice models among them...yours for 60 odd USD

What's not to like?

Vostok_Amphibia_150367-1-600x900.jpg
    Vostok_Amphibia_110059-02-max-900.jpg
    and the one i just bought...:rolleyes:
    Vostok_Amphibia_670927-2-max-900.jpg

https://meranom.com/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

V
    What's not to like?

The bracelet :p.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Vostok has new "classic" Amphibias again..and Meranom currently offers free shipping.

A few nice models among them...yours for 60 odd USD

What's not to like?

https://meranom.com/en/

And that website is ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

Birneybau wrote: »
    And that website is ok?

Yeah loads on here have bought from them.

jh79 wrote: »
    Yeah loads on here have bought from them.

Great, thanks. I have a hankering now :pac:

Ended up ordering this one, not from the site above but I will use it sometime.

The 'Steve Zissou'

e2d9e3987a93e765b42e49376516b51e.jpg

LifeAquatic-Vostok.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Ended up ordering this one, not from the site above but I will use it sometime.

The 'Steve Zissou'

e2d9e3987a93e765b42e49376516b51e.jpg

Nice Amphibian!

A lot of watch for not much cash.

• Advertisement

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Nice Amphibian!

A lot of watch for not much cash.

€77 all in including Parcel Motel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

€77 all in including Parcel Motel

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Spotted over on HUKD.com - Goldsmith's having a sale for new watches - the thing that has people interested is a new PO Seamaster which can be had for £3200:

goldsmiths.co.uk/c/SALE/filter/Show_All/?utm_source=Awin&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=HotUKDeals&awc=2174_1491403645_035c5ef78eef9fa706c9fd81e7fc3168

Might be of interest to some people here with the weak pound and all...

Thinking of making a purchase soon(ish, depends on when a few quid is due to me), but didn't think this deserved its own thread, so apologies to mods if this should be elsewhere. A few have caught my attention, but wanted to ask opinions on here in relation to two specifically:

1. Oris Aquis.

Like the look of this one, but it seems to me the bracelet is very wide and might dwarf the wrist a bit. Would anyone here have an opinion? I might tip out to Dundrum and have a look at one on the wrist before I decide, obviously (can't think of anywhere else that does it).

2. Tissot Seastar.

This one specifically: http://www.watchshop.com/mens-tissot-seastar-1000-powermatic-80-automatic-watch-t0664071705703-p99970757.html?rcproduct=1

Think I may be able to pick one up for bit less than what's on offer in that link, but just wonder what people thought of the watch itself, or if anyone had any experience? Also, how handy would it be to pick up the bracelet? I'm not very experienced with rubber, so I don't know if I'll like it (said the actress to the bishop, etc :pac: sorry).

Thinking of making a purchase soon(ish, depends on when a few quid is due to me), but didn't think this deserved its own thread, so apologies to mods if this should be elsewhere. A few have caught my attention, but wanted to ask opinions on here in relation to two specifically:

1. Oris Aquis.

Like the look of this one, but it seems to me the bracelet is very wide and might dwarf the wrist a bit. Would anyone here have an opinion? I might tip out to Dundrum and have a look at one on the wrist before I decide, obviously (can't think of anywhere else that does it).

2. Tissot Seastar.

This one specifically: http://www.watchshop.com/mens-tissot-seastar-1000-powermatic-80-automatic-watch-t0664071705703-p99970757.html?rcproduct=1

Think I may be able to pick one up for bit less than what's on offer in that link, but just wonder what people thought of the watch itself, or if anyone had any experience? Also, how handy would it be to pick up the bracelet? I'm not very experienced with rubber, so I don't know if I'll like it (said the actress to the bishop, etc :pac: sorry).

No opinions on either of the two watches above but my post might be of interest to you.

Christopher Ward have their 50% spring sale on at the moment and they have a seemingly nice diver for 985 euro - in house 120 hour reserve COSC certified chronometer movement.

Not a bad price for a semi-famous brand.

They also have a range of other watches on sale too:

https://www.christopherward.co.uk/events/half-price

The diver I mentioned:
    https://www.christopherward.co.uk/events/half-price/c60-trident-cosc-600-chronometer-1-1

I checked earlier today and they still had the black bezel in stock but only red one now. Seems like they are going quickly.

Oh and not buying because there's a Pelagos in the mail for me... need to start selling off my collection soon ;) Too many divers and not enough wrists. I've never bought CW watches so no idea of quality but it seems that they have many admirers.

Btw Frankie - I was thinking about an Oris Aquis depth gauge for a while but the 46mm dial would make my puny wrists look hilarious. The standard Aquis at 43mm and big crown might still wear "big" depending on your arms. I assume you're looking at the latest model like the one here:
    https://www.chrono24.co.uk/oris/aquis-date--id5688752.htm

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Btw Frankie - I was thinking about an Oris Aquis depth gauge for a while but the 46mm dial would make my puny wrists look hilarious. The standard Aquis at 43mm and big crown might still wear "big" depending on your arms. I assume you're looking at the latest model like the one here:
    https://www.chrono24.co.uk/oris/aquis-date--id5688752.htm

Thanks mate, that ChrWard watch looks lovely. I'm a fan of the red bezels, really like them.

Re the Aquis, I've read up a good bit and it seems they actually wear a bit smaller than the 43m. I think I'd be safe enough with that size, but I wouldn't be going much bigger - certainly 44 would be absolute max for me. I know they have them down in Fields in Dundrum, so I might get a spin down this weekend to try it on.

Oh, and well wear on the Pelagos - they're a lovely looking watch. Make sure and get a few snaps up in the other thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I have both a 43mm and 46mm aquis..both on rubber and yes they definitely wear smaller due to the lug design. The rubber strap is extremely comfortable although I hear the Aquis bracelet is right up there with Omega in terms of quality.

Just for today Meranom has the GMT Vostok Amphibian for 30% off (currently they have free shipping too).

Reason for not buying...have a blue GMT Vostok already (love it!)

Linky:
    https://meranom.com/en/amphibian-se/650se/

Third

just to add that this was due to April 12 being cosmonaut day (Yuri's on the back of those GMTs).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

I'm struggling to resist the overwhelming urge to buy this Seagull 1963 42mm

https://www.poljot24.de/en/chronographen/seagull-1963-42mm.html

Can anyone put me off? Tell me it's a rubbish purchase ... scratches too easily ... loses about 1 hour per day ...

Advertisement