Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I reckon it'll tap out at around 1500-2000(these usually go for around the 1200 mark in average condition). Though hard to say. It might go for less. Although dealer prices and buy it now prices on eBay have climbed a lot in the last few years, I have noticed open auction prices on the Bay have shown more of a downward trend in the last year. I've seen quite the number not reach what the sellers thought they would, the auction ends early and then gets relisted at what the seller thinks is "market value" buy it now prices. Where they sit unsold.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

This is a heavily reduced swiss watch for €147. I dont know what peoples views on Rotary are but if it says "swiss made" then it should be. Its a quartz but that's OK I think for the price, considering there is heavy quality control standards in Switzerland its probably a good piece.

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6318727/Trail/searchtext%3ERotary.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

What's in a name? :D - "swiss made" does not mean much if you look into it...As far as I know the applicable Swiss law requires only >50% of a watch's value to be based in Switzerland to be allowed to have a "Swiss made" label.

What this means is that a watch could be made completely in China, movement, straps etc. for €20 and then inspected for 30 seconds in Switzerland by someone with an equivalent of €25 of "value" put into the watch and it could be labelled "Swiss made".

That's not to say that Swiss made is bad - (in fact I love Chinese watches) - but that the "Swiss made" label by itself isn't worth much by itself. Nor is it to say that Rotary does this, but just be aware that Swiss laws on the label are very lax (in my view).

Rotary is now a Chinese company as far as I know but then what does that even mean? Is BMW a German company or is it an international company owned by pension funds, banks and other shareholders? :)

If you like the watch go for it, having said that I think Rotary pieces can be had for less than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

blue5000 wrote: »

Nearly up to $1500 now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Thirdfox wrote: »
    What's in a name? :D - "swiss made" does not mean much if you look into it...As far as I know the applicable Swiss law requires only >50% of a watch's value to be based in Switzerland to be allowed to have a "Swiss made" label.

What this means is that a watch could be made completely in China, movement, straps etc. for €20 and then inspected for 30 seconds in Switzerland by someone with an equivalent of €25 of "value" put into the watch and it could be labelled "Swiss made".

That's not to say that Swiss made is bad - (in fact I love Chinese watches) - but that the "Swiss made" label by itself isn't worth much by itself. Nor is it to say that Rotary does this, but just be aware that Swiss laws on the label are very lax (in my view).

Rotary is now a Chinese company as far as I know but then what does that even mean? Is BMW a German company or is it an international company owned by pension funds, banks and other shareholders? :)

If you like the watch go for it, having said that I think Rotary pieces can be had for less than that.

I thought the movement had to be a swiss movement and assembled in Switzerland to get "swiss made" on the dial ? Its a mecha quartz in this watch. I did go into Argos a short while ago and its quite nice for €147. Not up there with other swiss brands of course but a step up from my Seiko quartz I guess. It has sapphire glass also. I may go back in after my coffee and buy it. I have a 30 day return with Argos anyways so if it turns out to be not great I can return it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

mad m wrote: »
    Nearly up to $1500 now

Ya just clipped it, Wibbs sir you know your watch valuations! It wasn't me, have to sell one before I buy one again. I wonder how the price compares with the new price in '72 or '73?

For those of us looking for a stocking filler and didn't buy a black Friday watch Natostrapco are doing 40% off, code is CYBER17
    I like the way shipping is included in the price. https://natostrapco.com/
    If you want to have a go at making a watchstrap they sell the hardware too.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

A few nice Tissots on sale this weekend, from Tissot direct

https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-gb/shop/most-popular/outlet.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

art wrote: »
    A few nice Tissots on sale this weekend, from Tissot direct

https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-gb/shop/most-popular/outlet.html

Oh man, very tempted. This caught my eye:

https://www.tissotwatches.com/en-gb/shop/tissot-carson-18.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

I think the movement has to be swiss and the final assembly and qc done in Switzerland. The % is now 60 too.

https://www.fhs.swiss/eng/strengthening.html

Would this be the cheapest swiss made quartz available ? Recommended it to a family member. What do the experts think?

• Advertisement

If going for Swiss made and cheap then these come to mind:
    https://www.jomashop.com/mondaine-watch-mh1-b1220-lb.html - Mondaine (used in Swiss rail clocks) - 129 dollars - it'd have more of a connection to Switzerland than Rotary nowadays...

Another Swiss brand that comes to mind is Victorinox (swiss army knives):
    http://www.watchshop.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Watches.html?features=0&prodsorting=pricelow

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Wristwatches/31387/i.html?_sop=15&LH_BIN=1&_nkw=mens%20victorinox%20swiss%20army%20watch&_dcat=31387&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=1000&_trksid=p2045573.m1684
    (100 dollars shipped onwards)

Or Wenger (other Swiss army knife company):
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank?rh=n%3A328228011%2Cp_4%3AWenger&qid=1511708641&sort=price-asc-rank

(46 pounds onwards)

Of course there is Swatch as well...which starts from €30 shipped onwards:
    https://www.ebay.ie/sch/Wristwatches/31387/i.html?_from=R40&LH_BIN=1&Brand=Swatch&_dcat=31387&LH_ItemCondition=1000&_sop=15&_nkw=swatch&_pgn=2&_skc=50&rt=nc

Swatch group (who owns Breguet, Omega, Tissot, Hamilton, Mido, Longines etc. etc.) would probably make the cheapest Swiss watch.

I believe final assembly could involve adding the final wheel to the movement (and the wheel being 50%/60% of the cost of the movement itself). Point being, there's nothing wrong with liking a Swiss watch, or Japanese watch or Russia watch - it might be better to buy via brand recognition rather than country recognition per se.

I thought the movement had to be a swiss movement and assembled in Switzerland to get "swiss made" on the dial ?
    Ah but what is a swiss movement?

A movement can be substantially manufactured and assembled in China, then it comes to Switzerland, gets a swiss-made rotor put on and it is now classified as a swiss movement. There are rules like 50% components 'by value' but they are very open to abuse. That's not the case with every swiss movement but certainly is the case with most entry-level ones.

The non-movement parts of any watch bearing 'swiss made' under €1000 (and many over) are also substantially manufactured in China. Cases, bracelet links, clasps, crystals etc. Steinhart are primarily manufactured in China and have finally assembly and casing done in Switzerland. Even brands like Omega have much of their bracelets and cases manufactured in China.

That's just the way it is. Very hard to escape Chinese manufacture.

A movement can be substantially manufactured and assembled in China, then it comes to Switzerland, gets a swiss-made rotor put on and it is now classified as a swiss movement. There are rules like 50% components 'by value' but they are very open to abuse. That's not the case with every swiss movement but certainly is the case with most entry-level ones.

The non-movement parts of any watch bearing 'swiss made' under €1000 (and many over) are also substantially manufactured in China. Cases, bracelet links, clasps, crystals etc. Steinhart are primarily manufactured in China and have finally assembly and casing done in Switzerland. Even brands like Omega have much of their bracelets and cases manufactured in China.

And equally it means that there's nothing wrong with Chinese manufacture at all - "Chinese made" does not equate to "badly made" or "cheap". Hey I've toured the Sea-gull factory myself (wearing bunny suits) and they take pride in their movement manufacturing.

Of course, if you're looking at knock-off replicas their quality can be absolutely atrocious. But there's a reason why Chinese manufacturers also make €20,000 watches too...the quality is there :)

Here's a link to my tour of the Sea-gull factory for anyone interested:
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f72/pilgrimage-my-grail-site-seagull-factory-tianjin-4057937.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Hi guys, any opinions on this watch? Currently half price. Looking for a nice smart watch with a fabric strap.

Like some of the Hugo Boss watches too like this one. Anyone have one?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Great pics and video, always fancied a 1963..

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Degag wrote: »
    Hi guys, any opinions on this watch? Currently half price. Looking for a nice smart watch with a fabric strap.

Like some of the Hugo Boss watches too like this one. Anyone have one?

Cheers
    I would recommend thinking about what size watch you want, these 2 are quite different, one 38mm and the other 45mm, they will wear very differently, and you need a reasonable sized wrist to pull off a 45mm watch.
    TW Steel  make watches
    Hugo Boss make fashion
    They both look nice though. Start a new thread with pictures of watches you like and a budget if you want advice (and find out what size watch you want -you may need to try some on)

Some people mentioned liking Mondaine - saw that a few models had dropped to around $55 (and 17 dollars shipping).

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_ssn=watchgooroo&_armrs=1&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=mondaine&_sop=15

Watchgooroo has a great reputation and you can even offer a best price for an addition discount offer from herself.

$55 for a Swiss watch (and an iconic look) seems like a good deal and something you'd pay for a cheapy Swatch.

Shame her tritium Mondaines for $65 are sold out - or maybe I'd have bought one myself!

I see the Tritium one is available from Amazon US for $79 though:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003LBAKU0?tag=vs-watchuseek-convert-20

Ignore the 48mm dial reference - it's actually 40mm.

But I've still got a watch incoming so I'll be good (wife will be glad to hear).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Anjobe

Some good reductions on watchshop.com ATM - just picked up this nice little Xmas pressie to self for €286, €214 less than it is in the shops here!

Up again for christmas eve if anyone missed it first time.

• Advertisement

Big bargains to be had today! H Samuel on Grafton Street are closing down - 50% off every marked price.

In their watch section they have Citizen, Seiko, Bulova, G-Shocks - can pick some rings, earrings etc for the other half too.

I got a Bulova special edition moonwatch for 330 for my Dad and a G-shock compass/altimeter/barometer/radio controlled solar watch for 200 for a friend.

Was almost tempted to get myself a moonwatch too - still have 2 left and I had just lost my speedmaster after all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭emo72

I got a Bulova special edition moonwatch for 330 for my Dad and a G-shock compass/altimeter/barometer/radio controlled solar watch for 200 for a friend.

Was almost tempted to get myself a moonwatch too - still have 2 left and I had just lost my speedmaster after all :(

bulova moonwatch you say? why is that so poular on here all of a sudden? its like a bus, you wait ages.......

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Up again for christmas eve if anyone missed it first time.

Crap, missed it again!

Might as well ask the question here. Are these suitable for occasional swimming? As in swimming pool or the sea?

I had a lovely Hirsch tan strap (not performance) before, and it didn't last more than a year or two because of the water. I've moved to bracelets and mainly natos since, but I prefer the look and feel of a good quality leather strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Big bargains to be had today! H Samuel on Grafton Street are closing down - 50% off every marked price.

In their watch section they have Citizen, Seiko, Bulova, G-Shocks - can pick some rings, earrings etc for the other half too.

Thank you, bought the last Bulova Moon Watch in there this afternoon. I have been contemplating a Speedmaster but this will do for the time being. Had been looking at them since last year.

Glad I helped - wear it well and post wrist shots on the "I'm wearing" thread :D

Darling wife corrected me - seems like the Protrek G-Shock I got my friend got discounted again! So I got a new radio-controlled, tide/barometer/altimeter/thermometer/compass, solar G-Shock for 102 euro :D - pity there was only one in store or else I'd have taken the second one too :P

I do realise this is the "bargain I didn't purchase" thread - but I think there are still some bargain g-shocks to be had in the store (when I left it yesterday).

Sorry for all the double posts in the forum - I'm going to be returning the citizen automatic I bought from H Samuel - I had bought it wanting to flip it for a profit but actually don't want the hassle of adverts tyre-kickers for the potential measly profit that's in it :P

The model number is NH8381 - on the bay it's going for 200 euro. Just a heads up in case anyone wants to pick it up for 135 euro that I bought it for (alternatively I'm happy to sell it for cost price + 5 euro fuel fee if you want to meet up somewhere).

Will be returning it to the store today. It's completely untouched - unworn and obviously comes with the whole set of papers, boxes and extra strap/strap tool etc.

Edit: Wibbs feel free to move to buy/sell section if you don't feel it's appropriate here. My thinking is I'm just giving people a head's up that a good price Citizen automatic will be available in store sometime today unless they want to get it off me directly - and it's genuinely a bargain watch that I (ultimately) won't be purchasing :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Put a pic up will you.

• Advertisement

http://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/d/8063974/citizen+men%27s+automatic+sport+diver+style+watch+set/?cmCat=OVM

It's this one here - discounted from £399 to 199 on H Samuel's uk website - grafton street probably discounted it to 99 pounds.

Nice scalloped bezel detail but even after the robbery I've got too many divers.

Advertisement