Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,749 ✭✭✭✭banie01

HDMI wrote: »
    More than happy to be a forwarding service for anyone that would like one sent on. :pac:

If anyone needs anything from over here let me know.

I honestly was only messing HDMI.
    You are in fairness one of the most spot on posters on this sub and that kind of offer could cause you to become watches & timepieces version of a parcel wizard :pac:
    It's never worth your sanity :P

G-Shock DW5600HDR for €69.15 watches2u (flash deal)

https://www.watches2u.com/watches/casio/dw-5600hdr-1er-mens-g-shock-watch.html

Functionally it's your basic DW5600, nothing fancy happening module-wise. No solar or any of that. It's a limited/tricked-out version, presentation box. All the hardware - screws, buttons, case-back etc is black.

It's hard to get a standard DW5600 for less than €50 nowadays. €60+ in most places. So €70 for what could be a nice collectors item is not too bad.

504415.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

And lots of the more normal models are reduced from Amazon too:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/casio-gorillaz-g-shock/dp/B06WGQ367L/ref=sr_1_2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/G-SHOCK-Watch-Men-G-Shock-DW-5600BBMB-1ER/dp/B07DY9VD85/ref=sr_1_11

These models tend to be on sale at this kind of price often enough. They're a lovely watch, probably one of my most worn watches these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Can't believe I am suggesting this one but at $90 for a 40mm 1953 sub homage it's quite nice and is getting good reviews on watchuseek. It's an Invicta with a Seiko movement and it's been in the cart for the past week and I just can't pull the trigger.

Invicta 31290

xglDCYa.jpg

1953 Rolex Submariner

z8d4LdC.jpg

Nothing wrong with that..... take no heed of what other people think.

Realistically most people think that someone that buys Rolex at total fool/a$$hole/tryhard if they are spending 5k-10k on a watch (if they even notice it's a rolex in the first place at all).

99% of people dont care about watches or what you are wearing. Buy what you like. I think its cool

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

2shea wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with that..... take no heed of what other people think.

Realistically most people think that someone that buys Rolex at total fool/a$$hole/tryhard if they are spending 5k-10k on a watch (if they even notice it's a rolex in the first place at all).

99% of people dont care about watches or what you are wearing. Buy what you like. I think its cool

I'd say the hesitation is more around the Invicta brand than what this model is a homage of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,410 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Maybe it's just me, but I have this irrational dislike for the Invicta name / logo. I have bought even cheaper even more "clony" Chinese homage watches, so it is obviously not snobbery. But I don't know what else it is either :o

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Eoin wrote: »
    I'd say the hesitation is more around the Invicta brand than what this model is a homage of.

I know that's I'm saying. People would care even less what it's trying to look like. It's not even a homage. Who cares if its invicta only watch snobs will.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

unkel wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but I have this irrational dislike for the Invicta name / logo. I have bought even cheaper even more "clony" Chinese homage watches, so it is obviously not snobbery. But I don't know what else it is either :o

It may have something to do with the history of Invicta (not sure if they still do it?) of having crazy rrps - "RRP $9000 but YOURS FOR ONLY $199!!!!!" - wow that's 97% off rrp… :D

Plenty of psychology articles showing that sales and discounts work great. Everyone loves a bargain (sees bargain watch thread).

Sólás rrp of €23,000 but kickerstarter of only €399… that's a 98.2% discount :p - even better than Invictas of yore :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,410 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I wasn't aware of any of that history of discounting. So I'm afraid that doesn't explain my dislike :D

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Eoin wrote: »

Yes Eoin is correct it's the brand I have an issue with, I can't stand the brand and their marketing. But this 1953 diver seems to be a nice little watch, problem is its 33mm dial so no mods available yet.

A guy on watchuseek called Engraver Sam has done this to his. Some lighter fluid and wire wool to remove the branding and he has also aged the dial. I think its turned out pretty good.

Pics courtesy of Engraver Sam

l5aPq9D.jpg

5wv4ffp.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Yes Eoin is correct it's the brand I have an issue with, I can't stand the brand and their marketing. But this 1953 diver seems to be a nice little watch, problem is its 33mm dial so no mods available yet.

A guy on watchuseek called Engraver Sam has done this to his. Some lighter fluid and wire wool to remove the branding and he has also aged the dial. I think its turned out pretty good.

Pics courtesy of Engraver Sam

I couldn't be dealing with the scratches on the dial :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

etxp wrote: »
    I couldn't be dealing with the scratches on the dial :(

They're not scratches it's patina!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Ryath wrote: »
    They're not scratches it's patina!

Fake patina? or is the term patina associated with the art of ageing a watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Colleague of mine buys and flips Rolex watches, this is his latest, cost him around €32,000 and he hopes to flip it for close to €37,000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

etxp wrote: »
    Fake patina? or is the term patina associated with the art of ageing a watch?

It's meant to mean genuine ageing but even the manufactures are faking it with some reissues with aged dials and faded lume.

Longines-Heritage-Military-1-845x550@2x.jpg

Omega-Seamaster-Diver-007-No-Time-To-Die-2-1536x1014-768x507@2x.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

Ryath wrote: »
    It's meant to mean genuine ageing but even the manufactures are faking it with some reissues with aged dials and faded lume.

Longines-Heritage-Military-1-845x550@2x.jpg

Omega-Seamaster-Diver-007-No-Time-To-Die-2-1536x1014-768x507@2x.jpeg

That omega sure is pretty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

291A8407.jpg?ixlib=rails-1.1.0&fm=jpg&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&ch=Width%2CDPR%2CSave-Data&fit=crop&w=820

&do=download

Going to get one of these this week am leaning towards the Orient but every time I go to pull the trigger I have 2nd thoughts.

Same price

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

dinorebel wrote: »

Going to get one of these this week am leaning towards the Orient but every time I go to pull the trigger I have 2nd thoughts.

Same price

Is the Orient a Mako XL? If so, great watch, feels very solid.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Is the Orient a Mako XL? If so, great watch, feels very solid.
    It's the Kamasu/Mako 3 with Sapphire

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭VW 1

Got a link for where it's available?

• Advertisement

Citizen Titanium Diver £202 Amazon. Edit - Gone up in price.

200m diver (ISO), titanium case & bracelet, solid end-links, nice milled clasp hinge. Eco-drive (solar quartz). It was a fiver cheaper the other day, I thought it might drop further but it's on the upswing now. Average price (over time) is £260 according to camel.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CITIZEN-Analogue-Quartz-Titanium-BN0200-81E/dp/B07D3T1B42/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

https://www.hsjohnson.com/watches-c123/mens-watches-c116/ingersoll-t07601-the-trenton-radiolite-limited-edition-wristwatch-p14835

I picked this up a couple of days ago. Ive seen it priced between GBP 349 and EUR 619 elsewhere, so Im happy with it for GBP 199.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

smurfjed wrote: »
    Colleague of mine buys and flips Rolex watches, this is his latest, cost him around €32,000 and he hopes to flip it for close to €37,000

Your friend is about to loose a lot of money...mid to high 20,s in a as new condition. No shortage of them either from ads.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Your friend is about to loose a lot of money...mid to high 20,s in a as new condition. No shortage of them either from ads.
    Plus and if I'm understanding the current Rolex madness the precious metal ones have been largely unaffected by the market?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Wibbs wrote: »
    Plus and if I'm understanding the current Rolex madness the precious metal ones have been largely unaffected by the market?

Mostly. You’d no longer expect a large discount for new in-demand models from an AD. You’d probably have to pay RRP. But yeah, that fellas going to take a bath on Rosegold GMT. Of course that situation could even have fallen off in the past two months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Mostly. You’d no longer expect a large discount for new in-demand models from an AD. You’d probably have to pay RRP. But yeah, that fellas going to take a bath on Rosegold GMT. Of course that situation could even have fallen off in the past two months.

Totally, this really bugs me, every cnut thinks they are a watch dealer now. That watch is 37k RRP. I know for a fact I could easily get 5% from and AD and that any AD could get that watch for you in a week. So 35k new....if your a good customer maybe 10% so 33 or 32...what the guy paid for it.

Precious metal models fall in value from new. These can be had from dealers in the grey market for 30k, so the dealer is paying around 26-27k for it. Private sale would be similar at around 28-29k...talking brand new here and seeing as he posted a wrist shot...its lightly used now. New means unworn.

So at best a 3k loss I would say, and a hard sell cause a rose gold GMT II is a miami beach watch...not a Ireland or UK watch. Wouldn't be to too many peoples tastes.

There is great value in precious metal Rolex...but second hand. If you got that watch at 24 or 25k then there is a good buy. Also avoid Rosegold like the plague...its a fashion trend that will pass if its not already gone, White or Yellow gold only.

This information is all available online in seconds, why on earth do people not do their homework, lazy bastards were making money buying SS Rolex in a rising market. Well boys the market is level or going down, Covid 19 will have the Chinese not buying for a few months, so if your holding stock to flip your either going to loose money of have to hold for a long time.

Repeat after me.....watches are not investments, watches are at best a store of money, only the pros can make money at this in a repeatable way.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Rootsblower

Rose Gold GMT is gonna be a very hard sell in Europe. In my opinion Europeans are not flashy enough, maybe down in the Costa’s. In my opinion from a distance it could be a Michael Kors fashion watch that a lot of women are wearing now.

For the same money you’d get a 36mm day/date brand new in yellow gold or maybe the 40mm with a good discount especially one with the older movement (new ones have 70hr power reserve I’m told). Irish dealer would give u the 40mm @37k all day long. You’d then have classic where as the GMT rose gold will be history in a few years.

Fitzgeme is 1000% correct newbie flippers are gonna have to eat their losses soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I’ve to say, I do like rose gold. Which is probably a definite sign that it is going out. I’ve never been on trend in anything in my life. I don’t think yellow gold goes with my pasty ham and cabbage complexion either, whereas I think I’d get away with rose.

I’m definitely getting more vulgar/shouty as I get older though. Whereas my wardrobe was once full on monochromatic, now a splash of orange etc is appearing. Wild I know. Same with watches, functional fliegers are no longer coveted like a bit of bling. Probably A symptom of a mid life crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Rootsblower

I’ve to say, I do like rose gold. Which is probably a definite sign that it is going out. I’ve never been on trend in anything in my life. I don’t think yellow gold goes with my pasty ham and cabbage complexion either, whereas I think I’d get away with rose.

I’m definitely getting more vulgar/shouty as I get older though. Whereas my wardrobe was once full on monochromatic, now a splash of orange etc is appearing. Wild I know. Same with watches, functional fliegers are no longer coveted like a bit of bling. Probably A symptom of a mid life crisis.

Doesn’t matter what’s trendy if it’s what you like. I’ve the ham and cabbage complexion too but I love the yellow gold day-date and I would wear it all day long and feck the nay sayers and begrudgers. Trendy only matters if you care what others thank and like yourself I don’t care anymore.

Advertisement