Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

893bet wrote: »
    3k or so is about right.

Deals like the WOS one changes market perception how ever. Long ADs are shut the more deals will pop up from ADs

This is true, its one of those watches people buy for what it is rather than how it wear. What other watches might we see with deep discounts to be sold online....myguess.

Omega Seamaster 300 pro...old model ceramic with wave dial.
    Tudor black bays of all sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

This is true, its one of those watches people buy for what it is rather than how it wear. What other watches might we see with deep discounts to be sold online....myguess.

Tudor black bays of all sorts.

I love the fit of mine? Fairly sweeping statement there. Anyway, bought mine off a regular here, €2,700. Very happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Post a link if you see one of these :)

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Deals like the WOS one changes market perception how ever. Long ADs are shut the more deals will pop up from ADs

Something is only worth as much as the lowest price you can get it for. That's the reality for sellers, the best priced AD is the upper limit.

Birneybau wrote: »
    I love the fit of mine? Fairly sweeping statement there. Anyway, bought mine off a regular here, €2,700. Very happy with that.

What was meant was that people buy that watch more happily without trying it on because its seen as a staple of any collection, it doesnt matter how well it fits if you dont like it you can flip it easy. Its a big watch really but because its a moonwatch its forgiven that. I like the fit of mine also, omegas are very comfortable. €2700 is a good price, I got mine cheaper but not that much.:p

• Advertisement

oxocube wrote: »
    Post a link if you see one of these :)

Here is a chrono use code EXTRA10 for ten percent more

https://www.watches-of-switzerland.co.uk/Omega-Seamaster-Diver-300m-Co+Axial-41.5mm-Mens-Watch-O21230425003001/p/17331037/

Good price there.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,408 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

€250 with free shipping. That's a steal for a Turtle! And coming from the UK, so no import duty bill to be worried about (like if you order from Creationwatches)

Anyone who wants to buy this Turtle, but prefers the bracelet. I have a brand new original Turtle bracelet that I'm not using. I can do a swap with the rubber strap for a reasonable price, say €35?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

unkel wrote: »
    €250 with free shipping. That's a steal for a Turtle! And coming from the UK, so no import duty bill to be worried about (like if you order from Creationwatches)

Anyone who wants to buy this Turtle, but prefers the bracelet. I have a brand new original Turtle bracelet that I'm not using. I can do a swap with the rubber strap for a reasonable price, say €35?

It doesn't deliver to ireland, you need to use parcel motel, which costs another €3.50. Looks great value ..

Turtle bracelet provisionally swapped already :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

aidankkk wrote: »
    Seiko Prospex PADI SRPC41K1 only £220.

Very tempted but I prefer the ones with the crown at 4 o'clock and don't like cyclops.
    Cmw1v4BVUAA5738.jpg

Fully agree on both points, it's a mini turtle and it looks just "cheaper" than the turtle imho. Also a slightly different movement 4R35 instead of 4R36? Not sure what the difference is there, probably the date only vs day/date?

Still a bargain for what it is. You can sell that in a year or two for pretty much your full €250 you pay now, I would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Fully agree on both points, it's a mini turtle and it looks just "cheaper" than the turtle imho. Also a slightly different movement 4R35 instead of 4R36? Not sure what the difference is there, probably the date only vs day/date?

Still a bargain for what it is. You can sell that in a year or two for pretty much your full €250 you pay now, I would have thought.

Everything sold out now. That must have spread like wildfire around watch circles.

Looks like a good few in here got one. Thanks to aidankkk for posting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

This use to be a very popular thread a few years back. Open to correction but i think (Wibbs?) use to regularly post bargains of all sorts. If I recall we all went through the Vostok/Poljot/Luch/Raketa phase as well.
    Good one to keep going again, who doesn't love a bargain.

Absolutely. More than a few times, I pulled the trigger because of this thread :D

Thanks also goes to peasant, who started this thread. Although we don't see him around here much these days, unfortunately. I bought my first proper swiss automatic watch because of him. ETA 2824-2 movement and all, brand new for the princely sum of €210 including shipment. Unbelievable value for money that was!

And also my first Vostok. If you're still around and get to read this, peasant, thanks man.

Turtle bracelet provisionally swapped already :-)

The swapper didn't get the mini Turtle, there was a problem paying and now he is unlucky that it is sold out. So bracelet still available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I didn't unfortunately, they didn't like my revolut card (after accepting my order and taking payment) :mad::(, and it was gone when i went to re-order.

They'll be others

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Is the mini turtle 22 or 20 mm lug width? The big turtle is 22mm. Tough you missed out there Aidan, lots more available I reckon.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Any relies in OZ? https://www.starbuy.com.au/seiko-prospex-automatic-padi-special-ed-watch-srpb99k

One Au dollar is equal to €0.56 which puts this at €238. There seems to be a clearout going on at Seiko.

• Advertisement

23% VAT on the price + shipping + insurance and a €14 or so admin charge and it is not so much of a bargain any more (unless of course you don't get caught)

23% VAT on the price + shipping + insurance and a €14 or so admin charge and it is not so much of a bargain any more (unless of course you don't get caught)

That's why I asked 'any relies?';)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've been to'ing and fro'ing over whether to get this for the last week (aside from the fact that the EXTRA10 code no longer works on that).

Comes to 3700 or so assuming the code works / I find the same price elsewhere.

For the same price, I'd get a Speedmaster Reduced and Aqua Terra (links below). Have a small wrist so the smaller size of the reduced tempts me.

Any thoughts? Also welcome any view on whether the watches are genuine, no papers with either which is what is putting me off. The Speedmaster also seems suspiciously new and I never like the look of plastic stickers on a watch for some reason. Both are somewhat local to me so would be buying in person.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/503771030508996/

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/218025572756852/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Any thoughts?

Personally I wouldn't buy anything off Facebook. If you're buying in person how you going to pay? How do you know who you're dealing with?

Dont buy a reduced...thats not the speedmaster you want and they are super small. I had one flipped it and the guy I flipped it to flipped it, we all took pain, there is not bottom to their depreciation. Dont do it, you wont be happy with it. Aqua terra is nice. Facebook is a disaster for buying, dont trust anyone. Box and papers is not the bee all and end all but it helps. Your money is safer in a new moonwatch than both those others to be honest especially if you can buy it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Dont buy a reduced...thats not the speedmaster you want and they are super small. I had one flipped it and the guy I flipped it to flipped it, we all took pain, there is not bottom to their depreciation. Dont do it, you wont be happy with it. Aqua terra is nice. Facebook is a disaster for buying, dont trust anyone. Box and papers is not the bee all and end all but it helps. Your money is safer in a new moonwatch than both those others to be honest especially if you can buy it right.

I'll second Miley Short Tennis on the speedy reduced. I bought one without papers for €1300 and swapped it quick sharp. The Aqua Terra is really nice but I'd buy one from a reputable place other than Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

oxocube wrote: »
    I'll second Miley Short Tennis on the speedy reduced. I bought one without papers for €1300 and swapped it quick sharp. The Aqua Terra is really nice but I'd buy one from a reputable place other than Facebook.

I wouldn't go that far.

I've had some wrist time with a Speedmaster Mark 4.5 and a Reduced, and I've have the Reduced over either the 4 or 4.5.

A Reduced is not a Moon Watch, and so doesn't fill the same gap.

But in and of itself, the Reduced is a lovely watch and wears nicely for me, despite liking a 42mm case.

I'd say try one on before getting one is all, to avoid the reactions quoted.

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    I wouldn't go that far.

Maybe fair to say so that 2 thirds of people find a reduced intolerably small and 100% agree that its no replacement for a moonwatch. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

Another exspeedy reduced owner.

Troublesome and cheap feeling watch IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thanks all, appreciate the comments on the reduced. I've never tried one but my wrists are small (6.5" or so). I will listen and hold out I think - if others bought and regretted later, could see myself feeling the same.

Advertisement