Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

It is amazing though that you can get all that for 9 euro... as realistically it probably has a manufacture cost of 2 euro... so that strap was sourced at 10c perhaps? Crystal - 10c? Movement 50c? Battery(!) might be 200c... amazing what you can get for the money actually if you really think about it.

And 5ATM too - can go scuba diving with it :D - it is an Aqua Terra after all :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭micks_address

Thirdfox wrote: »
    It is amazing though that you can get all that for 9 euro... as realistically it probably has a manufacture cost of 2 euro... so that strap was sourced at 10c perhaps? Crystal - 10c? Movement 50c? Battery(!) might be 200c... amazing what you can get for the money actually if you really think about it.

And 5ATM too - can go scuba diving with it :D - it is an Aqua Terra after all :pac:

It sure is very aqua Terra looking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

I bought two Aliexpress watches before Christmas that were between the 10-15 euro mark just out of curiosity to see what you get. They really were garbage; one of them stopped working after a couple of months so I suspect had a tiny battery but who knows. It had a 3ATM rating and I had it in the shower so could have been that. I wouldn't really trust the ratings. The "leather" strap basically disintegrated on the same watch and the chrono broke after a few weeks. The other one is still going to be fair but I've never actually worn it. So you could say you can't go wrong on a 9 euro watch, but really its just a waste of 9 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

blue5000 wrote: »
    Lidl father's day watch €8.99, might suit that lad starting a watch club:rolleyes:

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/father-s-day/watch/p43713

I lolled. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

redlead wrote: »
    I bought two Aliexpress watches before Christmas that were between the 10-15 euro mark just out of curiosity to see what you get. They really were garbage; one of them stopped working after a couple of months so I suspect had a tiny battery but who knows. It had a 3ATM rating and I had it in the shower so could have been that. I wouldn't really trust the ratings. The "leather" strap basically disintegrated on the same watch and the chrono broke after a few weeks. The other one is still going to be fair but I've never actually worn it. So you could say you can't go wrong on a 9 euro watch, but really its just a waste of 9 euro.

Aliexpress is a roll of the dice. Lidl at least have trading standards to adhere to. Not all cheap watches are going to be the same standard.

• Advertisement

I agree - with a Lidl watch you will get something of quality (8.99 quality but a workable and accurately labelled piece of kit) - if it wasn't 5ATM I'm sure they would have no qualms about giving you a refund.

With Aliexpress it can be much of a crapshoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Unsure if you want smartwatches in here, just posted this in BA, Huawei GT down from 199 stg to 85stg, around 95euro

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07H4Y9PG7?pf_rd_r=PV7NZGP7PKPS21ZS3B1K&pf_rd_p=e632fea2-678f-4848-9a97-bcecda59cb4e

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭This is it

scudzilla wrote: »
    Unsure if you want smartwatches in here, just posted this in BA, Huawei GT down from 199 stg to 85stg, around 95euro

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07H4Y9PG7?pf_rd_r=PV7NZGP7PKPS21ZS3B1K&pf_rd_p=e632fea2-678f-4848-9a97-bcecda59cb4e

Pretty sure that was in and around €130 just a few weeks ago. I was between that and the Amazfit GTR and went for the GTR. Unless it was a different model but I'm pretty sure that was it. Still a decent deal but not near the RRP they're quoting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

This is it wrote: »
    Pretty sure that was in and around €130 just a few weeks ago. I was between that and the Amazfit GTR and went for the GTR. Unless it was a different model but I'm pretty sure that was it. Still a decent deal but not near the RRP they're quoting.

You trying to tell me that RRP's are not real :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

I agree - with a Lidl watch you will get something of quality (8.99 quality but a workable and accurately labelled piece of kit) - if it wasn't 5ATM I'm sure they would have no qualms about giving you a refund.

With Aliexpress it can be much of a crapshoot.

I just refuse to believe that you can have any sort of quality on a 9 euro watch. You are actually launching a watch so know a lot more about the cost of things than me, so surely the components being used to make a 9 euro watch must be the lowest of the low? I don't see how you could expect it to keep working for any sort of prolonged time with even moderate use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I just refuse to believe that you can have any sort of quality on a 9 euro watch. You are actually launching a watch so know a lot more about the cost of things than me, so surely the components being used to make a 9 euro watch must be the lowest of the low? I don't see how you could expect it to keep working for any sort of prolonged time with even moderate use.

My Dad and a Co worker both have Lidl watches, big faces and numerals for bad eyesight. They tell the time accurately and the only reason they change is because its cheaper to buy new than changing the battery.

For quartz things go really really low - couple that with they might be buying in bulk at 1-200,000 units(?) and your money can stretch pretty far.

It's less about low quality components and just buying off the shelf coupled with economies of scale.

With this watch I expect they went to manufacturer and said - give me a selection of the mass production parts you have which do not require any molds/modifications and are ready to be assembled (or even are preassembled and ready to ship) - we want X units and our budget is Y.

I think you can still get "quality" at this price - i.e. it will tell the time (more accurately than a mechanical too :D ), it will be water resistant to 5ATM - don't expect much more from it. The Lidl buyer probably got a catalogue saying "these are the hands available at your price level, these are the dials available, cases, straps etc." and picked from that - or maybe even "these are the preassembled watches we have in warehouses currently that you can get for X price". Creativity and design will be limited when you're using purely catalogue parts (it's why MVMT and their kind gets flak when they may be using catalogue parts but charging design/custom prices).

A lot of the cost of a watch produced in small quantities comes from needing new equipment (moulds mostly) made to produce a case/dial/indices/hands etc. - that's amplified when you don't order 10,000 watches at the end of it.

Or trying new things - the people who looked at the next model of Sólás know that I'm looking at one type of lume - but to get one sample made it'll cost me $600 (for 1 lumed hand) because it's an uncommonly seen Superluminova colour and I'd need to order in fresh stock - that's design cost that will need to be recouped through the price of the watch in the end (if I do order it).

For the Lidl buyer I'm sure they don't have that luxury or requirement and just go with the catalogue. For example I don't see them saying the case is 316L stainless steel - it might not even be steel - but do you really "need" a steel case for a watch? Technically no...

It'd be a beater to end beaters I think - and being a quartz it would actually take a beating relatively well I think :D - I know if I got my dad that watch as a father's day gift he'll definitely get a message loud and clear from that "loving" gesture :P (as in I think I could spend that €9 on ingredients to cook him a nice dinner instead)

Someone could get it and document the happy travels of the 9 euro watch :D - see how long it survives (I'd be more confident of a quartz beater lasting a long time vs a mechanical 20 euro watch).

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Dunno about those 9 euro watches, but the last few 50-60 euro watches I had in my hand (like a Parnis BLNR homage) or saw in reviews (like the Pagani design sub homages) were pretty respectable quality. Hard to believe they can make a half decent automatic watch and ship it to the other side of the world for that sort of money

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

unkel wrote: »
    Dunno about those 9 euro watches, but the last few 50-60 euro watches I had in my hand (like a Parnis BLNR homage) or saw in reviews (like the Pagani design sub homages) were pretty respectable quality. Hard to believe they can make a half decent automatic watch and ship it to the other side of the world for that sort of money

More like it’s hard to believe they can make us buy them at 9000 euro and make us believe they are worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

unkel wrote: »

Saw one of those Parnis BLNR before for sale, but missed out. Any idea where they can be picked up now?

893bet wrote: »
    More like it’s hard to believe they can make us buy them at 9000 euro and make us believe they are worth it!

Can of worms there 893bet :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

**** Cyrus....you are onto stage 8.......

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can I ask a question here for the experts?

Those who may be looking for a Seiko SKX013, there are very similar looking Seiko for sale from the 1980s, think they might be classed as 4205 .

Also small size, 36mm. Generally around the £150 mark.

Would these be a decent buy? Or would they be getting a bounce in price based on the recent rise in Seiko diver prices?

**** Cyrus....you are onto stage 8.......

Skipped vintage entirely. Think there is a lot of phases before 8 that ain’t accounted for!

Realistically we all know the industry is full of ****. In any “mature” industry all you have is companies with very similar products trying to claim their one is the best!

My perspective is 10k on the wrist is more fun that 10k in the bank.

10k is a lot of coke and hookers - just saying'

But maybe you're a pepsi guy who's not into rugby?

• Advertisement

This has gone over my head entirely?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,749 ✭✭✭✭banie01

10k is a lot of coke and hookers - just saying'

Wasn't that we did in our 20's and 30's tho? ;)

The 40's only started for me in November, and coincidentally enough so did this current watch craze :P

Now I get it...!

(Insert I am with stupid.jpg).

This has gone over my head entirely?

Not a fan of the Coke (coca cola) or hookers (rugby position - like winger or prop) - I'll stick to the day job then :D

Not a fan of the Coke (coca cola) or hookers

I've had a free non-stop supply of both from the owners of boards.ie for about 14 years now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The funny thing is, the €9 lidl watch probably keeps better time than the €10k rolex

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113713936#post113713936

Save €50 compared to a genuine Sólás :D

At least it isn't a straight homage :p

NASA pilots using a £9 Casio
    a9bd0944d242add02b472f3db64f62e5.jpg
    de87dd887287478fa2090b67f9e6eff7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113713936#post113713936

Save €50 compared to a genuine Sólás :D

At least it isn't a straight homage :p

49’ is a bit big for my 7’ wrist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Argos Citizen Eco-Drive Titanium Sapphire crystal Down from €250 to €180. I reserved one at my local store but on mature reflection not going to pick it up as I already have a similar Citizen Titanium model.

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8937072/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CJewellery+and+watches%7C14416987/c_2/3%7Ccat_15701267%7CMen%27s+watches%7C14417316.htm

Advertisement