Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Discount code doesn’t appear to be working for me, probably for the best!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

C0N0R wrote: »

Worked for me when I tried on a 600 euro watch winder

893bet wrote: »
    Worked for me when I tried on a 600 euro watch winder

I thought it was across the board, seems not! Question, what’s the difference between programmable and preprogrammed?

I assume a programmable one allows you to customise how long it winds for, maybe stop winding for certain hours when sleeping. Totally guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I assume a programmable one allows you to customise how long it winds for, maybe stop winding for certain hours when sleeping. Totally guessing.

You can do that with a €5 socket timer :D

Anyway shouldn't winders be completely silent? Mine is unless you put your head right beside it. And it's a cheap one from China, not a posh one from Wolf (although those are most likely also made in China :pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

C0N0R wrote: »

Might be sold out already? Eye watering is right:eek:.When is black Friday?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

unkel wrote: »
    You can do that with a €5 socket timer :D

Anyway shouldn't winders be completely silent? Mine is unless you put your head right beside it. And it's a cheap one from China, not a posh one from Wolf (although those are most likely also made in China :pac:)

I am sure you can program more than that e.g if something had an 8 day power reserve vs a 2 day one etc.

Good ones are silent I understand. Not into them anyway. Magnet for a thief.

Magnet for a thief, meh, watches are insured. If a thief comes in he will get your expensive watches. Whether they are hidden, in a safe or in a winder. I like the look of winders (and my watches in them) and it is damn handy if you have a few automatic watches that you regularly wear. Just grab one and go without having to stop to set the date / time.

If I hadn't got one already, some of the cheaper Wolf ones would have tempted me, I was eyeing them up last night. Still only the 1 watch winders were even half affordable even with the big discount.

unkel wrote: »
    Magnet for a thief, meh, watches are insured. If a thief comes in he will get your expensive watches. Whether they are hidden, in a safe or in a winder. I like the look of winders (and my watches in them) and it is damn handy if you have a few automatic watches that you regularly wear. Just grab one and go without having to stop to set the date / time.

If I hadn't got one already, some of the cheaper Wolf ones would have tempted me, I was eyeing them up last night. Still only the 1 watch winders were even half affordable even with the big discount.

Insured in a Safe. Not in a watch winder. Ring your insurance company and ask how much to add 60k worth of watches to your policy and for cover outside a safe not on the wrist.

Not to mention trying to argue with an insurer in the replacement value for something like an aquanaut which can be gotten at RRP by some people but for mortals can only be replaced grey prices of 30-40k depending on what your smoking.

So yeah. I spend the 1 minute setting the time and winding myself.

Not arguing with you there. If your insurer (and others) demand a safe, then you need to get a safe. For any contentious values about any of your items, you agree up front what the watch is worth. Likely need a jeweler's valuation. I'm with Zurich and a €30 one from my local jeweler (based on a 5 minute search of chrono24) which generated a higher than retail value was sufficient

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

https://www.wolf1834.com/offers/black-friday?p=4

Use code “earlybird” for 70 percent off.

Some eye watering expensive stuff and is just expensive once the 70 is taken off!

The watch boxes and trays look decent value with the 70% off, they certainly look better than one's I was looking at on amazon for similar money. Tempted by the 12 tray for €30 it's a good fit for the shallow drawer I currently keep my watches. in. Or to go the full hog and get the 10 one with a small drawer for €85 Would be handy to keep extra straps and bits in. I'd have to keep the box out on top of the chest of drawers then. Not sure the wife will want more clutter up there!

Could be a good option for €30 keep one in drawer and a glass topped on for the solar watches on top. Colour isn't great though.

This is a better colour but I don't need to keep 24 watches! I have 8 I currently wear and two non runners.

Got myself a winder, had a watch roll picked but the missus advised no, otherwise I’d have two after Christmas! She’s done good!

Ryath wrote: »
    The watch boxes and trays look decent value with the 70% off, they certainly look better than one's I was looking at on amazon for similar money. Tempted by the 12 tray for €30 it's a good fit for the shallow drawer I currently keep my watches. in. Or to go the full hog and get the 10 one with a small drawer for €85 Would be handy to keep extra straps and bits in. I'd have to keep the box out on top of the chest of drawers then. Not sure the wife will want more clutter up there!

Could be a good option for €30 keep one in drawer and a glass topped on for the solar watches on top. Colour isn't great though.

This is a better colour but I don't need to keep 24 watches! I have 8 I currently wear and two non runners.

That one for 30 quid is a stackable one with no lid. Meant to compliment another one of the boxes to expand the size.

That one for 30 quid is a stackable one with no lid. Meant to compliment another one of the boxes to expand the size.

Will fit nearly perfectly in one half of my shallow drawer. I don't really need a lid.

Something like this on a smaller scale!

image-asset.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭This is it

Jaysus, thought that was your house!

This is it wrote: »
    Jaysus, thought that was your house!

Jaysus no! I wouldn't be caught dead in deck shoes!

No walk in wardrobe (Yet! we're thinking about an extension) have to make do with an Ikea chest of drawers!

Good value at GBP900 although on a strap. For comparison I sold mine (previous model) on bracelet recently for just EUR750

These TAGs depreciate like mad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Thanks for that .

I bought a Bulova moonwatch 2nd hand here a few years ago from micksaddress and then sold it this year when I bought my omega moonwatch. Always missed it since I sold it , so delighted to replace it with one on that offer you posted

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

scwazrh wrote: »
    Thanks for that .

I bought a Bulova moonwatch 2nd hand here a few years ago from micksaddress and then sold it this year when I bought my omega moonwatch. Always missed it since I sold it , so delighted to replace it with one on that offer you posted

Cheers

Last year, a mate i work with, who was not into watches that much, fancied a new one for Chrimbo, as his present from t'missus.

He knew I was into watches and we had a chat, and I recommended the Bulova Lunar Pilot Bulova 96b258, with the full metal bracelet. At the time, there was an Amazon deal that meant it was about €350 delivered. He was delighted.

Then, after Christmas, when we were back in the office, he complained that the second hand doesn't move properly. I had to explain that as a proper chronograph, the running seconds was on the sub dial and the big hand was the chrono.

Anyway, for anyone with a hankering for a Bulova Lunar Pilot, keep an eye on Amazon for the next couple of weeks, they will be reduced at some point and the benefits are amplified by having a Prime sub.

Cracking deals to be had.

Wouldn't think it will go cheaper than the watch shop price. Has been out of stock on Amazon Europe a lot the last year. Looks like your offer last year was on the global store from Amazon US but they aren't shipping here at the minute. They are to UK strangely though so can use Parcel Wizzard/Motel.

On a Nato for £257. Slightly more tempted at that price but I've a few other things that are more of a priority to buy that I actually need! I've price trackers set up I may bite if it goes lower.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PGX73WQ?tag=amz-mkt-chr-uk-21&ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-a0050-def00-other-nomod-uk000-pcomp-feature-scomp-wm-5&ref=aa_scomp

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Mine hasn't lost half a minute since I got it about 2 years ago.

G-Shock DW6900 model, €59 shipped & taxed from Amazon USA

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GAYQL8

One of the longest in-production G-Shocks, this particular model and color was launched in 1995. You don't really see this colourway in Europe much any more. One of these has been my beater for around a decade and is still on the original battery.

81JQqTupeOL._AC_UY679_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Isn't the DW-6900 one of the ones that's been to the ISS too?

Cracking deal on that.

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Isn't the DW-6900 one of the ones that's been to the ISS too?
    In the space shuttle era it was very common to see astronauts with DW-5600C/E, DW-5900, DW-6900 and several other models. Alongside the usual suspects like X-33 etc
    According to this link there were five certified G-Shocks. However i'm not sure exactly what "certified" means in that context, i'm not a NASA buff. I know only the Speedmaster is certified for spacewalks, it seems like a bunch of other watches (incl 5 G-Shocks) were certified for spaceflight or something.

https://www.star2star.com/company/space-museum/watches

https://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shuttle/index.html

Flicking through the images from the 90s and 00s, the DW-5600 is what I spot the most, and also a couple of DW-5900s. I haven't spotted a DW-6900 yet but i'm sure I have seen pictures elsewhere.

20 percent off certain watches using code “blackfriday”

Works on speedy pro so you get the advantage of weak sterling and 20 percent off.

https://www.burrells.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Works out at just over €3,800 - that is not a bad price at all with free postage.

20 percent off certain watches using code “blackfriday”

Works on speedy pro so you get the advantage of weak sterling and 20 percent off.

https://www.burrells.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭micks_address

Works out at just over €3,800 - that is not a bad price at all with free postage.

Absolutely when you consider most list secondhand around 3500.

Advertisement