Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Miscarraige question

Options
  • 03-07-2011 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Firstly, I am sorry if this thread is in the wrong place, but I am very worried and I wonder if there is anyone out there that has been through what I am currently experiencing.

I am 7 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child. A few days ago I started spotting and cramping. Over 24 hours the cramping got worse and my bleeding would start and then stop. The cramps had periodic sharp stabbing pains that would make me keel over.

I went to the A&E on Friday. (I waited for 10 hours!) After they took my blood and urine and the doc did an internal exam he said that I was having a threatening miscarriage and that basically there is no way of knowing what is happening until I have a scan. In the republic of Ireland, you can only have a scan between the hours of 9-5 Monday to Friday, UNLESS it is life threatening.

So, he said that there is nothing that can be done. I basically have to wait and see if the baby is dead, if it's alive, or if I have passed it already and I have an empty womb. The earliest scan he could get me is 8/7/2011, which is next Friday.

He told me not to come back to A&E unless it got worse. It's not getting worse, but it is defiantly not getting any better. I am still bleeding on and off, and especially in the morning, when I get up lots of brown discharge is coming out. The cramps are constant and bad. I feel very, very nauseous and I just can't seem to handle NOT knowing.

Has anyone been through this? I would really love some advice right now. My partner is trying to be supportive, but the best he can do is tell me to go back to the hospital if I am worried.

Thanks.

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Ruboo,
    Im so sorry to hear you are going through all that. It must be a nightmare not knowing and having to wait so long. I have not experienced a miscarraige so cant share any story, however there are some lovely ladies who have experienced similar cramps and bleeding and have heard a heartbeat on the scan.

Is there any way you could get a scan privately?

((Hugs))

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ruboo,

So sorry to read about your terrifying few days.

I don't have any experiences with miscarriages but just wanted to say that a number of doctors can perform ultrasounds in their surgery. If you google doctors in your area and look for any medical centres that would be a good place to start.

I know it would mean changing doctors but if it can provide an answer one way or the other it could be worth it (also, you don't have to stay with the new doctor).

I really hope everything works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Hi Roobu, so so sorry you're going through this. I've had 2 miscarriages and an ectopic and hand on heart, all have been completely different. I've also had a successful pregnancy that I bled and cramped in throughout the first 12 weeks and the result of it is sitting here stuffing his face with pizza and scattering lego everywhere :)

With my son, I was signed off work at 8 weeks and told to rest. The doctor, although lovely, didn't seam concerned and had an 'if you're going to miscarry, there's nothing you can do to prevent it'.

Can you get to your doctor tomorrow? If so, ask him/her to get your blood results from the hospital and ask your doc to do your bloods again. I'm presuming they did a hCG blood test (pregnancy hormone level) in the hospital. The level needs to double every 48 hours for the pregnancy to be viable. It's a great indication of how things are progressing.

Rest with your feet up and try not to worry. I know that's easy for me to say but the baba doesn't need stress so try to relax. A few women on the trying to conceive thread have experienced cramps and spotting and are continuing on with healthy pregnancies:)

((hugs)) keep posting if it helps you xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Hi OP. Like Lucyfur says every miss is different i've had two and am about the same week wise as you. I had brown discharge and bleeding 3 weeks ago and was convinced we'd lost again. Thankfully though last scan showed a strong heartbeat and we have another scan booked for Wednesday. We're praying for 2 weeks growth.
    I don't think the docs are trying to be obtuse there really just is nothing they or you can do. Most misses are the result of abnormal chromosons and nobody can stop them. It's very, very hard. Try to rest up, if the blood stays brown then hopefully you're ok. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Ruboo my heart goes out to you completely. I was in the same boat this time last year & it utterly disgusts me the way some hospitals can leave you wait so long :mad:

I understand it is not a live threatening situation as such; but sure it is mentally very detrimental and if your baby is at risk that leaving you not knowing is putting further risk to the unborn child with the mum so stressed :(

I was registered with one Southeast maternity hospital, rang them to say I thought I was miscarrying. This was a Friday evening & the earliest they would see me was the following Tuesday.
    I rang the other Southeast maternity hospital, they brought me in straight away & gave me an internal scan so I could know what was happening.
    In my instance I did go on to lose my baby;but at least I was properly monitored, kept informed of what was happening and given adequate pain relief.

Most private ultrasound clinics will do a scan for about €100. It could be money well spent for the peace of mind it would give you.

I hope you're ok, if you're in a lot of pain definitely go to your GP & they may be able to prescribe you some strong pain killers. Take care x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Claramonties

Hi Hun - im so sorry you are going through this. Like a previous poster i had an ectopic pregnancy and on my second pregnancy i was scanned early to ensure no repeat. It is very discouraging even now to hear how women are still being treated. Ok Doctors do not want unnessary numbers in A&E, but you mentioned pain and worry. So my advise is to either get bloods done by doc or park yourself in A&E or Early Pregnancy Unit. At least if you could get an internal scan you might get some reassurances.

Sending hugs to you.. oh and i too bled brown blood (can be changes in cervix) with my son too ...fingers crossed its all fine x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ruboo

Thank you all so much for your responses, you have no idea how wonderful it is to hear other stories and words of encouragement.

The weekend was hard. My pains got worse and the bleeding went from on and off to constant. Now, by no means is the blood heavy, but there is a constant trickle of red blood secreting from me. I went to the A&E again yesterday. I got in there at 11am, and finally at 6.30pm, I was seen.

Thank God I had the same gynaecologist as last time (He is REALLY wonderful and I am going to send him a card, no matter what the outcome). He examined me again and said that my cervix is closed, which is a good thing apparently, but there is blood oozing from it.

He said that he was so sorry I waited 7 hours, but he could not give me a scan because it was now after 5pm. What could I say? He was so kind and just told me that he was going to give the baby the benefit of the doubt, and he told me to rest and come back Friday for the scan.

So, I am still in limbo, I am still in pain and taking panadol like sweets, but I am trying hard to stay positive. It's hard though. Very hard.

One other thing happened at the A&E yesterday that REALLY bothered me. I was waiting on the gynaecologist to come, and he sent some other doc to talk to me briefly.
    This very nice doctor sat and explained that the baby can't survive before 24 weeks and that sometimes it inevitable and so on. That was fine. I said something about I was worried and I didn't want to loose the baby.
    He LAUGHED (snickered) and looked at his colleague and then at me and said "Well... let's be serious here. It's not a baby. It's just a... thing. A blob. You're not really loosing anything. It just happens."

I really wanted to slap the face clean off him. I understand that medically the baby has no conciousness, but to ME, from the day of conception MY child has a soul. So... yeah...that annoyed me.

I will try and keep you updated on this whole situation, and thanks again.

:)

wow...seriously he said that! Holy cr@p that is shocking hun! I really wish doctors would treat woman with a degree of respect esp in your circumstances... the cheek of him!

Hugs to you - hope Friday gives you some answers x

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I am speechless here. I cannot believe he said that to you!!

If I were you I would definitly ask your nice Gynae how to make an official complaint about it - Was it an intern by any chance? Some of them are pure clueless, but please, do tell someone what he said - if nothing else, he sorely needs lessons on sensitivity, you would be doing him a favour.

All of us, whether we are religious or not, believe our baby is a baby. I am practically an athiest but I believe that when I get pregnant that I will have a little baby on board.

Hope you get good news on friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

OP I read your update and my mouth just fell open, how bloody dare that doctor!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

All the best to you and your BABY xxx

• Advertisement

Ruboo you poor thing, bad enough them leaving you too late to get a scan knowing why you were there, but for that dog of a doctor to say that to you :mad:

I definitely think you should make a complaint. I know its not going to change anything in the bigger scale of things, but he has no business being so nonchalant about something of such gravitas :(

I so hope everything goes well for you Friday, please let us know how you get on x I hope in the mean time that the pain eases off for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JABC123

of course you can get a scan outside those hours. go to the emergency ward in holles street. i did, and it was 10 at night when it happened. when you get time complain about that idiot. best of luck.

JABC123 wrote: »
    of course you can get a scan outside those hours. go to the emergency ward in holles street. i did, and it was 10 at night when it happened. when you get time complain about that idiot. best of luck.

Agree 100%, I had my scan in the evening time too. I would go to a different hospital, get peace of mind.

Good morning,

I understand what you are all saying, and believe me, I lost the head with them after 4 hours of waiting and all that happened was I was told that I was not a 'priority' case and I had to wait like everyone else, so then of course... I felt guilty for being a cow.

Right... last night (and this morning) I am in the worst pain so far. This morning I went to the bathroom and there were small, but prominent clots.
    I am TERRIFIED to go back to the A&E. I will loose the plot if they don't see me and also, they seem to get pissed. When I went the second time, everyone kept saying 'but you were here on Friday'.... Like I shouldn't have come back.

Sorry. Im very scared. and very confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JABC123

go straight to holles street emergency ward. immediately. Don't go back to the same hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

ruboo wrote: »
    Good morning,

I understand what you are all saying, and believe me, I lost the head with them after 4 hours of waiting and all that happened was I was told that I was not a 'priority' case and I had to wait like everyone else, so then of course... I felt guilty for being a cow.

Right... last night (and this morning) I am in the worst pain so far. This morning I went to the bathroom and there were small, but prominent clots.
    I am TERRIFIED to go back to the A&E. I will loose the plot if they don't see me and also, they seem to get pissed. When I went the second time, everyone kept saying 'but you were here on Friday'.... Like I shouldn't have come back.

Go to a maternity hospital...they will see you and will scan you. Don't go back to the same A & E.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

Ruboo,

It sounds like you are being treated very unfairly. You have every right to show up to A & E as many times as you like. UIf they had treated you properly the first time your subsequent visits may have been avoided.

I can not believe that you can not have a ultrasound out of hours. Working in a hospital myself i know all services are 24hours if required. I feel you should place a formal complaint over that doctor and that you should attend another A & E or can you go to one of the emergency rooms in a maternity hospital??

You shouldnt have to deal with all of this at such a fragile time.

Good morning,

hi - i completely agree with the other girls here, go to Holles St and they will scan you. You should not be waiting until Friday with pain and bleeding, im sorry but its your body so listen to it not what the Doctors think it should be. I truly hope you get better treatment

I hope all goes well tomorrow Ruboo x

Bad news. I can't really think about it at the moment. But they say that it looks like I have passed everything already and now they are going to monitor my hcg levels over the next 48 hours to make sure everything is clearing out correctly.

Im just devastated. Devastated.

But, thank you for all the kind words, the encouragement and hope. You helped me more than you know.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Good morning,

It am sorry you are going through this but have you being going the A & E in the Maternity Hospital, they scan 24 hours a day.

if you havent been going to a maternity hospital get yourself there now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

*hugs* I am really sorry. You make sure and mind yourself. I am sorry that you are going through this. Take time out for yourself so that you can get your head around this.

Bad news. I can't really think about it at the moment. But they say that it looks like I have passed everything already and now they are going to monitor my hcg levels over the next 48 hours to make sure everything is clearing out correctly.

Im just devastated. Devastated.

But, thank you for all the kind words, the encouragement and hope. You helped me more than you know.

Roobo,

So sorry to hear your sad news (((Hugs))) Take care of yourself

Ruboo I'm so sorry. I feel so terrible for you & your partner. Take care of yourself pet x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Rubo, I'm so sorry you had to got through this, my thoughts are with you and your OH at this time x

so sorry to hear that :( take care and mind yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Just after reading this whole thread now, im so so sorry for your loss :(
    Try to rest and mind yourself, and take as long as you need to recover. Its a very difficult thing to go through and takes alot out of you both physically and mentally.
    I cannot believe what that doctor said to you, its just beyond the realms of comprehension!! i appreciate you may no longer feel like it, but if at any point you do feel up to it i do think you should complain, that comment is one of the most hurtful things ive ever heard. :(
    I hope your ok, x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Ruboo

I am so sorry for your loss. I have only just come across this thread. I miscarried in May. I went to Holles Street, where I was treated very well and with enormous compassion by all the staff.

I too, am so shocked at how you were treated. I was horrified to read what that doctor said about your baby.

Of course, your baby is a baby. The love that we feel for the baby from the moment we discover we're pregnant to the huge huge sense of loss and grief that we experience when we learn that we have lost them, proves it.

I hope you are getting a lot of support right now x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 girlygirl1989

Ruboo,

I am so sorry for your loss and the way it was handled by the hospital. I had the same thing happen to me , had a missed miscarriage at 11 weeks and passed the baby naturally, which was the most traumatic experience I have been through.

I know the pain and hurt your going through now, it does get better though I promise, just look after yourself xxx

• Advertisement
Advertisement