Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noel Gallagher 'To Announce Solo Plans'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

wow, great song! very much in the vein of 'the importance of being idle'

Yip! ****s on Beady Eye!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

Yeah happy enought with the song, the Chorus makes the song. Hoping there as a few "d'yer wanna be a spaceman" songs on it aka mad studd with a great guitar.

Bring on the new album. Hoping its better than the Beady eye muck album

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Just watched the video, great debut single.

Its quite a jazzy tune for the hero of Britpop Noel is.

It will probably take some time for it to grow on me but its better than anything Beady Eye have done so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The Dark Knight

karaokeman wrote: »
    Just watched the video, great debut single.

Its quite a jazzy tune for the hero of Britpop Noel is.

It will probably take some time for it to grow on me but its better than anything Beady Eye have done so far.

Better than Beady Eye is no great shakes….!!
    Even at that, I don’t think it’s as good as The Roller. (Based on a first listen)

Personally I’m disappointed. I would have hoped Noel would have “stashed” away a better song for his debut signal.
    Why didn’t he hold onto “The Masterplan” or something like that!!!

Better than Beady Eye is no great shakes….!!
    Even at that, I don’t think it’s as good as The Roller. (Based on a first listen)

Personally I’m disappointed. I would have hoped Noel would have “stashed” away a better song for his debut signal.

I agree The Roller is probably Beady Eye's best song. It was actually meant to be an Oasis song but it never made it past the demo stage.

Regarding the single you are entitled to your own opinion. I understand some fans were disappointed with the song and others were pleased. We can never all be the same.

Nevertheless ticket sales for the Olympia will sell like hot cakes. Just please god they go on sale soon, I'm getting inpatient now:(

• Advertisement

I agree The Roller is probably Beady Eye's best song. It was actually meant to be an Oasis song but it never made it past the demo stage.

Regarding the single you are entitled to your own opinion. I understand some fans were disappointed with the song and others were pleased. We can never all be the same.

Nevertheless ticket sales for the Olympia will sell like hot cakes. Just please god they go on sale soon, I'm getting inpatient now:(

Not saying I don't like the song; and I'm sure I'll like it more once I've listened to it a couple of time.
    It just would have been great to have had a cracking song that showed everyone who was the real talent behind Oasis.

Yep, getting a bit impatient myself on the ticket front..... Hopefully we get a bit of notice on the on-sale date.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

Pretty good, will have to give it a few more listens.

I think it's great that we've got two sources of output now from Oasis. I'm still enjoying the Beady Eye album, can't wait for Noel's later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's good. I'm surprised by how much I actually like it.

The intro is the Importance of Being Idle taken out to a country and western show and the rest sounds vaguely like a Kinks song, but it's better than anything either him or his brother have done in a decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Catchy tune. Sounds like "Idles" little brother. I like the brass on it too, although I can see alot of people slating it for being "more of the same".

Can't wait for the full album. In particular I'm wondering what he's done to Record Machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Saganist wrote: »
    Catchy tune. Sounds like "Idles" little brother. I like the brass on it too, although I can see alot of people slating it for being "more of the same".

Can't wait for the full album. In particular I'm wondering what he's done to Record Machine.
    He said he changed the key of Record Machine and Stop the Clocks to suit his voice but they're still the two most Oasis sounding songs on the album.

The Death of You and Me
    is a pretty good song, it has a great vibe to it. If you replace the acoustic guitars with electrics and the brass solo with a guitar solo you've got a great Oasis song but I think that's what he tried to avoid here.

I wonder what the song in the preview clip was, that everyone presumed to be The Death of You and Me.. it sounds very similar to parts of the 18 minute long jam recorded at the Hong Kong soundcheck in 2009. Maybe it's one of the other songs on the album that we haven't heard yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

I really hoped he would have something special for a debut single. He needed a statement and this isn't it. It's a good tune but more of the same. I was hoping for something on the level of the masterplan to begin with. I'm sure I'll listen to it over and over. Beady have had songs as good as it as well. The Roller to begin with.

darrenh wrote: »
    I really hoped he would have something special for a debut single. He needed a statement and this isn't it. It's a good tune but more of the same. I was hoping for something on the level of the masterplan to begin with. I'm sure I'll listen to it over and over. Beady have had songs as good as it as well. The Roller to begin with.

It's not very easy just to knock out songs on a level to the Masterplan just at will..

Honestly. I don't think he cares what songs come out and when. They'll all be heard sooner or later. I do think though that some of his choices about what goes on an album as far back as SOTSOG is a little flawed.

I think he's more at the stage were he's simply writing for himself. What he likes. If the general public don't lap it up like they used to then "so, what"... His new album will be good, for any Noel fans out there but I dont think he will be gaining any new young fans. And I dont think he cares.

darrenh wrote: »

The only thing about the song I find disappointing are Noel's vocals, which are poor.

Otherwise the lyrics are good and the arrangement is to my liking. It should fair better in the charts than Beady Eye though.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

I don't believe for a second that he doesn't care. He's recent press conference showed he was nervous about everything. He said something along the lines that he was ****ting himself. He's got a pretty big ego and when I say that I don't mean big headed, more that he believes in himself. Masterplans obviously don't come that easy, that's what makes them so special, I was just convinced he had something huge hidden away in a vault for a day like today. I can only hope and presume there's a few on the album.

Beady eye didn't release their best songs first either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

all the liam haters slating beady eye. end of the day beady eyes debut album was a great album with some great tunes i dont know where all this hate is coming from.

anyway noels new tune out today ive listened to it and i actually dig it. as someone said earlier it reminds me kinda of importance of being idle. not a bold statement of intent by noel i thought his debut track would of been more balsy and loud like beady eye's. decent tune id give it a 7 out of 10.

also liam is right about noel picking **** videos the hack of the new video **** me its ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Is he definitely playing the Olympia? I haven't seen any information about where he will be playing other than he will be playing somewhere in Dublin on October the 23rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Damn, just listened to The Death Of You And Me there, in my (completely biased) opinion it's a great song, I can feel the euphoria I felt a along time ago when Oasis brought out new material. It's a nice change for Noel to bring out a softer first release, the lead singles from the last few Oasis albums (Go Let It Out, Hindu Times, Lyla, TSOTL) were heavy enough numbers. The lyrics are classic Noel, nice and uplifting, managed to squeeze the word 'soul' in there as well.

Cannot wait to hear the spin he has put on Stop The Clocks, Record Machine, Everybody's On The Run etc, although there was never was a new Oasis album from which I hadn't heard some of the material beforehand.

Will be roaring this one out in Olympia for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Are you kidding?! He was kicking himself for not keeping The Masterplan for Be Here Now! :D

ricero wrote: »
    all the liam haters slating beady eye. end of the day beady eyes debut album was a great album with some great tunes i dont know where all this hate is coming from.

anyway noels new tune out today ive listened to it and i actually dig it. as someone said earlier it reminds me kinda of importance of being idle. not a bold statement of intent by noel i thought his debut track would of been more balsy and loud like beady eye's. decent tune id give it a 7 out of 10.

also liam is right about noel picking **** videos the hack of the new video **** me its ****e.
    Not many Liam "haters" on here, I personally don't hate him I just think he's got an over inflated opinion of himself. His album is good but it's not great, it's one of them albums I listened to a few times and went to see them live then actually haven't listened to it since.

I don't think there will ever be a comparison musically between Noel and what Beady Eye are doing other than the fact they were all in Oasis together. You want Noel to be more "ballsy" and "loud", Beady Eye done that but without substance. Nearly every Oasis album had a big heavy anthem as first single, so Noel has taken a different approach. He could easily have went with electric guitars and a guitar solo on there as it fits the vibe but came up with something arguably better. His vocals are excellent and he's making use of his vibrato range that he's developed the last few years.

Noel has the talent and ability to take his career in another direction and branch out, similar to Neil Young in a way i suspect. Both excellent song writers and guitar players and although being great singers as regards to hitting notes not having great voices but they always find a way around it.

I felt with the last two Oasis albums, Noel easily had the better more inspired songs whereas everything the others chipped in with was constantly a throw back to 1995 with no evolution and I thought Beady Eye's album confirmed this.

We know that most of the Beady Eye stuff was around and demoed while Oasis was still going and Noel has mentioned The Roller, Millionaire, SOTEOTN, Morning Son and Man of Misery before.

Similarly as regards to Noel we know Stop the Clocks and Record Machine have been demoed a long time and the likes of Everybody's on The Run, If I Had A Gun... and three other as yet unnamed songs which could be on his album were played during soundchecks in 2009 and there's Come On It's Alright which similar to Andy Bell's Millionaire Liam wouldn't do a vocal track in time for DOYS so it missed the cut and hasn't surfaced yet. I also remember an interview with Noel and Gem a couple of years ago when DOYS was released that he mentioned the "AKA" songs and two of which are on the album.

Exciting times when The Chief is releasing music all the same.

Dotsey wrote: »
    ....Noel has the talent and ability to take his career in another direction and branch out......
    Unfortunately he hasn’t shown this in “The Death of you and me”.
    Listened to it a few times again last night. It’s far far too close to “The Importance of being idle”. You can do that type of a song once and it can be regarded a brilliant and different (like TIoBI is), but doing it again is just lazy!!!
    I’m a HUGE fan of Noel’s, and I really hope he has more to offer outside the constraints and melting-pot that was Oasis……. This single just doesn’t show it or offer anything new!!!

• Advertisement

The new tune is stuck in my head and Im loving it!

Temaz wrote: »
    The new tune is stuck in my head and Im loving it!

Me too. Only heard it twice yesterday and then on the way to work this morning it was played on Tom Dunnes show on Newstalk of all stations.

Now its on repeat in my mind. I dont even know the words but the tune is stuck there.. "Highhhh tiiidddde" Do do do do do do... :D

Loving the brass:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

I've always been a hugh Oasis fan..

But..

Beady eye are sh**e IMO.. Saw them at Oxegen too.. Nope,,.. didnt do it for me.

As for Noel's latest single? sounds like Chris Martin doing a cover of 'the importance of being Idle'...

When are they gonna see sense,... take some time out and come back with a world conquering Oasis album

Unfortunately he hasn’t shown this in “The Death of you and me”.
    Listened to it a few times again last night. It’s far far too close to “The Importance of being idle”. You can do that type of a song once and it can be regarded a brilliant and different (like TIoBI is), but doing it again is just lazy!!!
    I’m a HUGE fan of Noel’s, and I really hope he has more to offer outside the constraints and melting-pot that was Oasis……. This single just doesn’t show it or offer anything new!!!
    it is similar but that's because there's only so much one can do with the same voice and a guitar but it's not an exact copy as some are claiming. He sings both with a vibrato style and that's where the comparisons come.
    U2 made a career out of putting out songs that are almost identical with the guitars laden with an echo and delay processed effect.
    Keith Richards has recycled a similar riff countless times on some of the Stones most famous songs, (Brown Sugar, Start Me Up, Gimme Shelter, Rocks Off).
    I think this album is an almost clearing the decks of left over Oasis material he had, the album with AA is the one I'm really looking forward to. That will be the left hand turn from Oasis

doughef wrote: »
    When are they gonna see sense,... take some time out and come back with a world conquering Oasis album

Eh the last Oasis album was in 2008.

Lets not forget both Noel's solo album and much of Beady Eye's album consist of songs that were to be Oasis songs but never made it past the demo stage.

That means for Beady Eye it was over 2 years to rework the songs they wrote without Noel and create a full length album.

Noel's album, which was songs he penned that were originally recorded for a future Oasis album will be released 3 years since Dig Out Your Soul.

2-3 years is typical for many modern bands. Spending more time constantly improving old songs won't help make a "world conquering Oasis album".

U2's last album took 4 years and it wasn't world dominant by U2 standards.

Neither Beady Eye nor Noel will ever be as big as Oasis so whats the point spending 5-6 years and taking a hiatus for a short while trying to change that?

Quality is better than quantity with regards to the length of time you spend recording an album.

Bands realistically shouldn't spend too long making an album, there's only so much you can do to a song before its ready for public release. It would be worse if their songs were overproduced.

Neither Beady Eye nor Noel will ever be as big as Oasis so whats the point spending 5-6 years and taking a hiatus for a short while trying to change that?
    thats the nail on the head.

A lot of people think Noel can rewrite What's the Story and we will all go back to 1995 with loads of anthems again. Most top bands generally only have one or two top top albums that are universally popular with everyone and the rest of their careers they most just flog to fans because mainstream has moved on. Oasis had a lot of fans hence why every album went in at number 1 and every single for a run of 15 years hit the top 3, which I think is a record.

Oasis could have toured an album every 3 years and sold out around the world very easily but creatively they were in a straight jacket because people demanded the Oasis sound. Noel spoke about that last week saying the people had stopped listening to them and it's true, but they were still coming to the gigs. The important thing now is that there's music coming from both sides. Noel Gallagher will always be a headline act with a queue of people looking to work with him but I somehow feel that Beady Eye will unfortunately fade away pretty quick.

Looking at the recent Oxegen line up I found it funny how far both Beady Eye and Slash were down the running order. When all that's missing is Noel Gallagher and Axl Rose from turning both into a worldwide headlining act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Dotsey wrote: »
    thats the nail on the head.

A lot of people think Noel can rewrite What's the Story and we will all go back to 1995 with loads of anthems again. Most top bands generally only have one or two top top albums that are universally popular with everyone and the rest of their careers they most just flog to fans because mainstream has moved on. Oasis had a lot of fans hence why every album went in at number 1 and every single for a run of 15 years hit the top 3, which I think is a record.

Oasis could have toured an album every 3 years and sold out around the world very easily but creatively they were in a straight jacket because people demanded the Oasis sound. Noel spoke about that last week saying the people had stopped listening to them and it's true, but they were still coming to the gigs. The important thing now is that there's music coming from both sides. Noel Gallagher will always be a headline act with a queue of people looking to work with him but I somehow feel that Beady Eye will unfortunately fade away pretty quick.

Looking at the recent Oxegen line up I found it funny how far both Beady Eye and Slash were down the running order. When all that's missing is Noel Gallagher and Axl Rose from turning both into a worldwide headlining act.
    Beady eyes faith depends on their next album IMO if it's as good as there first they will be grand. Simple as this there's to much **** music out there at the moment and only a few good bands such as kasabian and arctic monkeys that are making new sounds and trying something different. Beady eye will always be moderator successful anyway because Liam is a rock n roll god. Noel will become the new Paul weller me thinks

ricero wrote: »
    Beady eyes faith depends on their next album IMO if it's as good as there first they will be grand. Simple as this there's to much **** music out there at the moment and only a few good bands such as kasabian and arctic monkeys that are making new sounds and trying something different. Beady eye will always be moderator successful anyway because Liam is a rock n roll god. Noel will become the new Paul weller me thinks

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Don't get me wrong I still like Beady Eye but with the rate people are bashing Liam, I can't see much of a future for them.

When Noel comes on the scene with his debut album people will probably stop listening to Beady Eye and this will show when they release their second album.

Noel will likely be playing arenas by next summer as he said he will extend his tour to bigger venues if the demand exists.

• Advertisement

?....2-3 years is typical for many modern bands. Spending more time constantly improving old songs won't help make a "world conquering Oasis album....
    Don't think anybody is suggesting that he spend years perfecting songs or overproducing.
    It's all about taking the time out to write more songs, then pick the best!
    Here is an example of what the last oasis album could have been if time was given.....(I know maybe six years of time, but still as an example)

The Turning
    The Hindu Times
    Stop Crying Your Heart Out
    Songbird
    Lyla
    Little by little
    The Importance of Being Idle
    Bag It Up
    Falling Down
    Let there be love.

Advertisement