Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Almost hourly IP changes?

Options
  • 03-07-2011 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Since installing the new Zyxel router to enable the "up to 24Mb" speeds, the WAN IP address seems to change almost every hour or two... Is this behaviour normal?

While I had the old Netopia Cayman connected, the IP address would change every few days which didn't bother me so much. I know the IP addresses issued to residential customers are dynamic, but aren't hourly updates a little excessive?

Any insight would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Hoku wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Since installing the new Zyxel router to enable the "up to 24Mb" speeds, the WAN IP address seems to change almost every hour or two... Is this behaviour normal?

While I had the old Netopia Cayman connected, the IP address would change every few days which didn't bother me so much. I know the IP addresses issued to residential customers are dynamic, but aren't hourly updates a little excessive?

Any insight would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!

The lease time is set to 24 hours for ip addresses by default. Mostly you would get the same ip address re-assigned.

What is more then likely happening is you are getting an intermittent connection on 24Mb. When the broadband disconnects and reconnects you get a new ip address.

Advertisement