Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stable Kayak?

• 03-07-2011 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My significant other has been hell bent on getting into kayaking for a bit now.

I'm involved in a few watersports, but I've only gone kayaking a handful of times so I'm a complete novice.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good one-person kayak that is stable? She lives on the coast, so it would be sea kayaking. The key is stability - I've a feeling the idea of toppling over wouldn't go down too well with herself.

She wants two one-man rather than one two-man, so something around the 300 mark would be nice as we'll be buying two.

I'm under the impression that sit-on-top are more stable - am I wrong?

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

Hi all,

My significant other has been hell bent on getting into kayaking for a bit now.

I'm involved in a few watersports, but I've only gone kayaking a handful of times so I'm a complete novice.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good one-person kayak that is stable? She lives on the coast, so it would be sea kayaking. The key is stability - I've a feeling the idea of toppling over wouldn't go down too well with herself.

She wants two one-man rather than one two-man, so something around the 300 mark would be nice as we'll be buying two.

I'm under the impression that sit-on-top are more stable - am I wrong?

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance :D
    Talk to Victoria at Bantry Bay Canoes, she is very helpful and knows sit on tops well, she wont sell you something that is not suitable. They always have offers on.

www.bantry-bay-canoes.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

Glenalla wrote: »
    Talk to Victoria at Bantry Bay Canoes, she is very helpful and knows sit on tops well, she wont sell you something that is not suitable. They always have offers on.

Much obliged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

And then shop around using her advice for a good price.

OP, We say this a lot but it cant be stressed enough. If you are getting a sit in then seek training on use before engaging in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭999/112

Talk really nice to her ...... and if you buy one over the phone or online off of her she will meet you in Cork city [when she goes shopping] to save you the trip to Bantry, unless of course you would like to go there.
    I have met her a few times in the city and she delivers there F.O.C. ;)

Advertisement