Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Divorce Issues

• 03-07-2011 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I’m new to this forum - Ive read all the warnings about NOT looking for legal advice so please help me if I’m not doing it correctly.

Here’s my scenario:

In a divorce case one is expected to produce full discovery ie - all their income, bills, assets, bank accounts etc etc.

In this hypothetical case X has given details of a property they own. However the other party Y suspects X has more property that they have not disclosed.

How does Y find the true extent of X’s interests? What methods would one usually practice in this situation?

Grateful for any answers, thanks. Jen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Get your solicitor to hire an investigator. Of course this will add extra cost to Y.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 JennyRyanHayes

Thanks for quick reply.

So there is no 'list' that could be accessed to see who owns a property? Say if Y had an address that was associated with X - could Y have access to the deeds etc??

About the P.I. - do they have a high success rate in this kind of matter? Is it a common request?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

If the property is in the state it should be easy enough for a professional to find out. Y should give all details they think might be pertinent to their solicitor and let him take it from there. As for investigators, i don't know there success/fail rate as they are very private(as is right).

Could you not do the search yourself or is it necessary to have an investigator do it?

Any idea how to investigate property outside of the State?

Hi again - Anyone else have an idea on this matter? Particularly in relation to property over seas - if you suspect a property belongs to them how can you find this out for sure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

In Ireland you can search for property ownership via the property registration authority, either by visiting one of their offices or have someone who has an account with the PRA to do a search. I don't know if other countries have similar systems.

Great - thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

Hi again - Anyone else have an idea on this matter? Particularly in relation to property over seas - if you suspect a property belongs to them how can you find this out for sure?

You should really leave this in the hands of your solicitor. If you have none, you should obtain a solicitor. It may cost you initially but it will save you money in the long run especially in the light of the queries you have raised. Check with the Legal Aid Board if you're eligible for free legal aid.

Advertisement