Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing airsoft guns.

Options
  • 03-07-2011 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hello everyone! I have been thinking of buying an airsoft gun from an Asian retailer as their prices are far more cheaper than any Irish retailer I can find so here is my question, Will customs seize and destroy an airsoft gun firing over 328fps for certain, or is it a sort of hit and miss sort of thing?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from Helpdesk.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

even if customs dont destroy it its over the limit which makes it illegal to own

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ReapersAirsoft

I would be downgrading it afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

It must be under 1j before it enters the country - that means downgraded at source. If it isn't, say goodbye to your investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

I would be downgrading it afterwards.

If it gets tested by customs (and that's an almost certainty rather than an 'if' if it's coming from the far east) and it's over the legal limit of 1j, it'll be destroyed. You'll lose your money and have nothing to show for it.

If it doesn't get tested by customs and gets delivered, you'll have an illegal firearm in your possession until such time as it gets downgraded. If you were found with it pre-downgrade you could be done for having an illegal firearm - indictable offence that one. Nasty.

Some far east suppliers will supply at sub 1j fps - but unless you're certain that they'll do it properly (or at all) I just wouldn't risk it. Some Irish retailers have tie ins with far east retailers - meaning that they can get the aeg in and they're dealing with customs, ensuring it's sub 1j etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

can someone please make a sticky stating everything about importing guns and al the problems with it and the basics of upgrading and what does what..
    upgrades and importing seem to be 2 of the most asked questions here but people dont see the "search" tab at the top of your screen.
    Im not having a go but its always best to research it yourself before you ask

Now if you are thinking of buying a gun from abroad theres a simple answer, buy it local and save yourself the trouble.
    you might think you wil save a few quid but you wont, infact if your gungets seized.. it will cost you alot more.

buy local, get a guurantee, keep our retailers in business and use the money for the economy (dont mind that last one really)

If its gear or accessories then yes work away but with guns its just alot easier to ask a retailer to import it for you and save yourself many hours of worrieing and possible phone calls

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

If it gets tested by customs (and that's an almost certainty rather than an 'if' if it's coming from the far east) and it's over the legal limit of 1j, it'll be destroyed. You'll lose your money and have nothing to show for it.

No, everytime a package for you comes in a big red light will start flashing and it'll be inspected :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

$kilkenny wrote: »
    can someone please make a sticky stating everything about importing guns and al the problems with it and the basics of upgrading and what does what..

Dude, the number of times the same topic gets posted up on here ... well, it's lots.
    If it's new users they're probably not going to read the sticky or try a search - sure what harm pointing someone in the right direction ... as long as they're not acting the richard ceann.

Advertisement