Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the Sunniest Day of the Week?

Options
  • 03-07-2011 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭

I was wondering this Summer what the Sunniest Day of the week was so I decided to use Belmullet (nearest met station to me that measures sun) to see and I came up with Thursday as the sunniest and Sunday as the dullest. I thought they were all dull but it looks like if you are planning outdoor activities in the West do them on a Thursday!

The complete results are at this link http://summerireland2011.blogspot.com/2011/07/summer-2011-weather-stats-so-far.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Surely the laws of probability mean that we should plan to do things on a sunday as from now on they must be the most sunny...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

ch750536 wrote: »
    Surely the laws of probability mean that we should plan to do things on a sunday as from now on they must be the most sunny...
    Why else would it be called SUNday :confused::)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

yeah yer prob right. just thought it would be interesting to see.

Just researching the other figures for rain and temperature this week and Ill let ye know how I go.

So far I notice June 2011 was very dry in Belmullet compared to Sligo ... apart from one really wet day with 34.7mm and another one which had 7.7mm not so wet the rest of the month had small measurements on most days or dry.

Finally so far temperatures were below normal. No temperature at all above 20c. Though in Sligo we got 23c at the start of June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

ch750536 wrote: »

That's not how the laws of probability work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

That's not how the laws of probability work.

Trolling a mathematician :)

Have many conversations about this. If the entity is not understood then you have to assume events are linked else you mostly end up failing. This is a prime example of that.

Nobody would have had a reasoned response of 'Sunday' or 'Thursday' before the analysis therefore you would be wise to assume over a real period all must tend to balance.

Mind you, as mentioned before, it is called 'Sunday'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Just to provide some data nearer to Dublin :p
    from my own site in Ashford Co. Wicklow

totals in hours, 5 days each 1st June to 4th July 2011

Mon 30.3
    Tues 25.9
    Wed 26.2
    Thu 37.0
    Fri 38.3
    Sat 39.3
    Sun 31.5