Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Washing Machine Needed - Recommendations Please!

• 03-07-2011 6:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, any help here would be much appreciated.

The washing machine finally gave in today after over 10 years of good service.

I'm now looking for a new one with an A energy rating for a maximum of €350 but I'd like an installation fee to be included in that as well, preferably delivery too.

I'd be very grateful for any responses,

Thanks all :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If you want something that will last for a decent length of time, look at Bosch. There are often good deals on some of the not so high end models. They tend to have simpler controls, but they're good machines.

e.g. just spotted that : http://www.did.ie/Product/BOSCH-WASHING-MACHINE-WAE24166GB/18955/281

Electrolux / Zanussi is pretty good too.

Don't go near Hoover/Candy (same company).
    Hotpoint's a bit hit and miss in terms of reliability too.
    Stay away from unheard of brands too. They can be cheap, but you will have difficulty with parts and they could be poor quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

I have a good word to say about Boch too. My mother has hers since 2002 and it hasn't caused any problems yet! and water is very hard in her house.
    Unfortunately when we were buying ours we had to go for cheaper one made by Hoover, because we wanted washer+dryer and one from boch was over 600eur, ouch too pricey...
    And don't be scared off by installation. it's only two hoses to connect. Even girls can do it! well, I could. I wouldn't pay anyone 50eur to do that, it's not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Might be above suggested price range - can't remember what our Miele cost -but have it at least 5 years and not a minute's bother.

In-laws have caravan park and use Miele in laundry room. Again very reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Mongarra wrote: »
    Might be above suggested price range - can't remember what our Miele cost -but have it at least 5 years and not a minute's bother.

There's no 'might be' about it, you will not get a Miele for anywhere near the OP's budget!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I'm in the same boat as the OP, washing machine died and don't really want to spend more than €350 on a new one. Are the lower priced Bosch very bog standard? I would ideally like a quick wash function and a temp selection option. Would probably stretch up to €400.

Also, Bosch only seem to have a 2 year parts and labour warranty, is that about standard these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭Helium

Our old Zanussi finally packed it in after 17 yrs, (yes! 17 yrs)

So we had no hesitation replacing it with this Zanussi

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=40-01-Z1120M&pages=1&prod=Z1120M&brands=ZANUSSI&image=

which was a tenner less a month ago @ €269

ncmc wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as the OP, washing machine died and don't really want to spend more than €350 on a new one. Are the lower priced Bosch very bog standard? I would ideally like a quick wash function and a temp selection option. Would probably stretch up to €400.

Also, Bosch only seem to have a 2 year parts and labour warranty, is that about standard these days?

I think the only way to check is to go have a look at one.

They generally just have more simplistic controls than the more expensive models. But, overall they're solid machines.

Bosch, Siemens, NEFF and Gaggenau (and some regional brands) are all manufactured by a Bosch-Siemens joint venture company called BSH (Bosch und Siemens Hausgeräte GmbH). They merged their domestic appliance operations to get economies of scale. But, it means that regardless of the brand, you're pretty much getting the same technology.

Zanussi, AEG and Tricity-Bendix are all Electrolux brands. So, again, you're getting time same stuff more or less from all of those brands. The higher the price, the more sophisticated the machine but, the underlying technology is similar.

Hotpoint is Indesit's luxury brand. So, again, they're similar machines inside.

Hoover and Candy are both brands of the Candy Company. They're identical other than the brand and styling. I wouldn't recommend either though. They're cheap for a reason!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SN0402

http://www.did.ie/Product/SAMSUNG-6KG-WASHING-MACHINE-WF8602NGW/17569/281

My sister bought this Samsung off DID last weekend, she got it delivered on saturday, its great value. check it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

j@utis wrote: »
    I have a good word to say about Boch too. My mother has hers since 2002 and it hasn't caused any problems yet! and water is very hard in her house.
    Unfortunately when we were buying ours we had to go for cheaper one made by Hoover, because we wanted washer+dryer and one from boch was over 600eur, ouch too pricey...
    And don't be scared off by installation. it's only two hoses to connect. Even girls can do it! well, I could. I wouldn't pay anyone 50eur to do that, it's not worth it.

I bought a Bosch recently.I agree, you dont need anyone to install it as I found out recently, now there is only one hose to my surprise to install, and thats cold.Granted, I am a man and of far superior knowledge than any slip of a girl;):p

...............................................................................................................Only joking about my last sentence:D

If the plumbing is already there for a washing machine the installation is really very very simple.

You've 3 things to connect: cold water, drain hose and plug it in!

*** REMOVE ALL PACKAGING MATERIALS AND TRANSIT BOLTS AS PER INSTRUCTION BOOK *** Failure to do so can mean wrecking the machine.

After that :

1) Turn off water with little blue / red valve.
    2) Disconnect old washing machine hose from valve.
    3) Connect new washing machine hose to valve.
    4) Stick drain hose into stand pipe or connect to spigot on sink U-bend.
    5) Plug in washing machine
    6) Test for leaky connections (run machine on a rinse cycle)
    7) Push machine into place.

Done!

The main thing you'll need is someone to help you push the machine around. They're very heavy and they can also rip holes in lino if you push them around too much.

A video guide from Panasonic:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGmpzAHVEzw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Solair wrote: »
    If the plumbing is already there for a washing machine the installation is really very very simple.

*** REMOVE ALL PACKAGING MATERIALS AND TRANSIT BOLTS AS PER INSTRUCTION BOOK *** Failure to do so can mean wrecking the machine.

After that :

Done!

The main thing you'll need is someone to help you push the machine around. They're very heavy and they can also rip holes in lino if you push them around too much.

Two important points!

The latter I advise leaving it on the packing, either plastic or cardboard till you get the back legs off the finish floor, move the packing to the front legs only, and then remove when its nearly in. It wont do damage then if you tilt it slightly as all the weight will be on the back legs

Solair wrote: »

After that :

Done!

Too bloody right:mad:.The feckin thing of mine kept digging in to my lino when it was been put in, and made a rip in it.You would think that they would put at least 2 wheels on machines:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

one point to add to the installation guide

make sure your connected to mains water pressure and not tank fed , especially with the zanussi models but most single feed machines now call for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭embracingLife

solution:
    pour a few drops of washing up liquid on lino where legs will sit and then the machine easily slides back into position. Done it dozens of times, works every time.
    Simples!

Just make sure to dry off lino in front of machine or you'll have your own skating rink!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Skipper12

Hi,

Just following the thread as my Candy machine (Nova) bought around 2004 has started to sound like an aeroplane taking off lately during the spin cycles!! Unreal noise out of it that has gotten progressively worse.

I will be looking to purchase a new washing machine and definitely want one that is quiet. Are there any brands known for being quieter than others?

any views/opinions/experience shared is much appreciated

Silence all depends on the type of motor they have. Most higher-end machines have an induction motor which is virtually silent, while most lower end machines have brush motors which sound like jet engines on the spin cycle.

Just google around and read the manufactures' websites and check for "induction motor" or "A/C motor"

Newer Bosch/Siemens machines generally have these.
    Electrolux.
    Higher end Hotpoints e.g. Aqualtis.

Some machines also contain large amounts of soundproofing materials in the outer cabinet to dampen noise as well as silent motors.

Your best bet is to ask in store and also google before you buy anything.

If you subscribe to Which magazine online for a month, you can find out a LOT of info about things like noise levels before you purchase. It's actually worth the subscription, just make sure you unsubscribe again as they will keep charging your credit card each month until you do!

Also, if you install the machine on a concrete floor it will vibrate much less and also generally last longer!

As a rule of thumb though, the higher end the machine, the more likely it is to be silent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

We eventually bought a Bosch Avatixx 6. model number WAE24366. It wasn't the cheapest Bosch, but it had a few nice features like countown display, timer and economy 15 min wash. It was recommended to me in several electrical stores as being the best buy for our budget. It cost between €389-419, we ended up getting it for €375. Delighted with it so far and it is fairly quiet.

ncmc wrote: »
    We eventually bought a Bosch Avatixx 6. model number WAE24366. It wasn't the cheapest Bosch, but it had a few nice features like countown display, timer and economy 15 min wash. It was recommended to me in several electrical stores as being the best buy for our budget. It cost between €389-419, we ended up getting it for €375. Delighted with it so far and it is fairly quiet.

Oi! you copying off me:p, I have got the same:D.

p7220826.jpg

p7220829.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Thank you Skipper and Solair, I was just going to post an enquiry for the quietest washing machine and your posts pop up on this thread.
    My seven year old Whirlpool was always a bit noisy but it positively chundles on the spin cycle this past year. I thought its racket was normal til I visited someone's house in France and there was this washing machine spinning away in the kitchen and it only gave out a sort of a breathy hum.
    I never wrote down the brand and of course I've forgotton what it was.
    I was worried that I'd buy a machine I liked the look of and would then discover that I'd brought home a jet engine. It's not like you can pack it up and bring it back-"Sorry, it's keeping the neighbours baby awake and frightening the dogs. Can I try another one please, in pink?"
    Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Catherine Murphy

Avoid the Zanussi-Electrolux washer-dryer combination - the electronics fail, and that was just after 3 years. Too costly to have to change a machine that quickly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement