Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water Water Everywhere, but no drinking fountains

• 03-07-2011 8:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭

So I'm reaching the point, and the weather is reaching the point, where drinking some water on a long run is advisable.

What equipment and strategy does everyone use?

normal water bottle, running water bottle, belts, stopping in a shop, dropping off a bottle, grabbing something out of the car . . .

Are there any belts/bottles that are better than others?
    If you drop a bottle off somewhere, where do you hide it?

Are there any shops convenient to the gates in the Phoenix Park?
    I kinda went looking today but didn't see anything.
    (And are there any water fountains anywhere?)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Are there any shops convenient to the gates in the Phoenix Park?
    I kinda went looking today but didn't see anything.

Yes, at the gate where North Road/Infirmary Road/North Circular Road meet (where the marathon enters the park) there's a shop, that's where I bought all my water on my LSRs last year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

fuel belt revenge series. Got a three bolt version. Have tried alot over the years and this is the only one worth a damn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

RayCun wrote: »
    Yes, at the gate where North Road/Infirmary Road/North Circular Road meet (where the marathon enters the park) there's a shop, that's where I bought all my water on my LSRs last year...
    Had forgotten about that one.
    The Londis on Parkgate street is too much "on the way home" for me, and if I head there I won't head back into the park. I can definitely work out a 5k loop that leads to the one at the top of Infirmary road, and there'd be a lovely downhill afterwards.

Are there any over towards Castleknock or Chapelizod?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Are there any over towards Castleknock or Chapelizod?

As you go up the hill on the upper glen road, theres a pedestrian gate to your left. Small newsagents about 100m outside that gate and a spar across the road from that.

tunney wrote: »
    fuel belt revenge series. Got a three bolt version. Have tried alot over the years and this is the only one worth a damn.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for them next time I'm in a gear shop and see how it fits.
    What is it you like about it/didn't like about the others?
    As you go up the hill on the upper glen road, theres a pedestrian gate to your left. Small newsagents about 100m outside that gate and a spar across the road from that.

Found it.
    That looks perfect for a midwayish stop off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I bought a bottle of water and a 99 from the ice cream van in the park on Saturday, parked in the pope cross car park

Found it.
    That looks perfect for a midwayish stop off.

Thats the one, you get to run up a hill when you go back into the park. Punishment for your mini rest while buying your water!

mloc123 wrote: »
    I bought a bottle of water and a 99 from the ice cream van in the park on Saturday, parked in the pope cross car park
    Was that a van in the papal cross car park?
    I thought I could see one in there but I knew there was definitely one beside the zoo so I opted for that instead. Then the fizzy orange was too tempting. Then I realised I couldn't run with the fizzy orange. So I walked home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Polo grounds there is a water tap/fountain (cant remember which)

The park used to have these, pretty sure none of them are around anymore...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cldulay/1411184056/

Edit: Though this one suggests different, maybe someone can email him and see where this mythical creature resides :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10413717@N08/5837114611/in/photostream/

• Advertisement

Judging from the monument in the background, that's in the People's gardens in the park.
    I think it may still be there, I'll be near enough later and I'll have a look for it and the one in the Polo grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Sandwell

If I'm doing a long run in the Park I'll park on Khyber Road and leave a couple of water bottles in the car. It's a central enough point to loop back to for a drink every few miles or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

I'd avoid the spar, the water's not very nice. A very nice chap works in the newsagents at the weekends who's totally understandable when you hand him a sweaty note of fire money at him in a hurry. ;)

Advertisement