Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need good CRT for gaming

Options
  • 03-07-2011 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

Does anyone know where I could buy a good CRT monitor, preferably 19" but 17" minimum. I had a really good iiyama 19" years ago with excellent refresh rates and would love something similar but the problem is everyones giving them away free on adverts/gumtree/etc so they are gone within 20 mins of the ad being posted. Anyone know a source of these? Maybe a company trying to liquidate old stock or something? Any help appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,320 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

is it just stupidly high refresh rate youre after?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Possibly he is trying to avoid the lag associated with LCD monitors (see here for more details). In that case, if you get a good enough LCD monitor the lag will be unnoticeable - as mentioned in the linked post, Viewsonic monitors are excellent in this department.

Thats simply ridiculous. Not to mention it's outdated garbage and LED Monitors != HDTVs and have no postprocessing or need for postprocessing: they are built to be connected to PCs, with GPUs. And you are almost always playing in your native resolution either way. Load of crap, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Tehachapi

Woah woah, calm down there. It doesn't really matter why I want one (I'm not getting into that) just looking for some help in sourcing one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Overheal wrote: »
    Thats simply ridiculous. Not to mention it's outdated garbage and LED Monitors != HDTVs and have no postprocessing or need for postprocessing: they are built to be connected to PCs, with GPUs. And you are almost always playing in your native resolution either way. Load of crap, tbh.

Pound for pound CRT blows away anything else for quality/colour/refresh rates. HD CRT's were available for a time, but in a mainstream world who'd want one of those over a nice slim/flat tv.

I don't miss their bulk, but crt is still used by imaging professionals today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Tehachapi wrote: »
    Woah woah, calm down there. It doesn't really matter why I want one (I'm not getting into that) just looking for some help in sourcing one.

Fair enough i guess, I don't know where you would get a decent quality one as most of the ones been given away are the cheapo ones people got with their being PCs years ago :pac: Any local business' you could give a ring to see if they have any they don't want? or try ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Have you tried placing a 'Wanted' Ad on Adverts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

/facepalm....

• Registered Users Posts: 35,002 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CRTs forever!

/hugs scanlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Rubbish, play ut99 or quake3 on a crt than on a lcd at native res, the difference is unimaginable. ( coming from someone whos being playing ut99 for 10 years on lcds and crts )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Obviously not a retro fan :p

I love and have to have my CRT along side my Flat screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Tehachapi

Could I just ask if anyone reading this has one to spare or knows someone looking to get rid of one - I will gladly purchase it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

There's nearly always some for cheap or free on Adverts.ie

Magill wrote: »
    /facepalm....
    nuxxx wrote: »
    Rubbish, play ut99 or quake3 on a crt than on a lcd at native res, the difference is unimaginable. ( coming from someone whos being playing ut99 for 10 years on lcds and crts )
    Tallon wrote: »
    Obviously not a retro fan :p

I love and have to have my CRT along side my Flat screen
    Phooey to all of you! I won't go back! Not to that degaussing, or that 50 pound monstrosity. I can lift my monitor with one hand. ONE HAND! Hrrrrngh..... AH. There you see? I just did it! I wont hear of any reason to go back to a CRT, however founded it may be!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,002 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Phooey to all of you! I won't go back! Not to that degaussing, or that 50 pound monstrosity. I can lift my monitor with one hand. ONE HAND! Hrrrrngh..... AH. There you see? I just did it! I wont hear of any reason to go back to a CRT, however founded it may be!

If you still play any console that's pre current gen you need a CRT. Simple as that really. They look ****e on everything else (One exception being Dreamcast via VGA...but I still rather it on a CRT with scanlines!)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Right. I would not go back to CRT, but weren't they allways way better quality then lcds? I remember my old 17inc CRT flat screen viewsonic had ridiculous resolutions and refresh rates. It was pro yoke!

All this full hd bull**** came only to sell it to avarage Joe. As any fella who knew wtf pc is will tell you: it's just higher resolution.

I can see appeal of CRT, but I could not go back to it. Good luck in your search!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

EnterNow wrote: »
    I don't miss their bulk, but crt is still used by imaging professionals today.
    On this point: this is usually as the CRT's show the "actual" colour before they're printed out, and are usually 25" monster flatscreen CRTs.

=-=

OP: where are you based? Think I may have one down the shed, but pretty sure they were thrown into the skip.

the_syco wrote: »
    On this point: this is usually as the CRT's show the "actual" colour before they're printed out, and are usually 25" monster flatscreen CRTs.

=-=

OP: where are you based? Think I may have one down the shed, but pretty sure they were thrown into the skip.

Nevertheless, pound for pound I still maintain CRT provides the best picture. The size, weight, cost, & bulk of HD CRT's meant they never really caught on. I can see why, they're huge beasts, & eyesores & probably not very efficient power wise. But, the picture sooo nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Nevertheless, pound for pound I still maintain CRT provides the best picture. The size, weight, cost, & bulk of HD CRT's meant they never really caught on. I can see why, they're huge beasts, & eyesores & probably not very efficient power wise. But, the picture sooo nice.

Just get an IPS monitor :pac:

Burgo wrote: »
    Just get an IPS monitor :pac:

I'm not going to even look up what they are...no doubt I'll want :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I'm not going to even look up what they are...no doubt I'll want :D

Not when you see the price ya won't :P

Advertisement