Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for a newbie

Options
  • 03-07-2011 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭

Just got FM 2011 with the latest update.
    Just to get quickly into the game, Ive gone for Chelsea in the EPL.
    Probably play a season like this and then scrap it and start at the bottom.

So looking for any tips.
    For some reason, I have Zero as a budget!

Is it worth doing all the tactical options, corner taker etc?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

So looking for any tips.

thanks

YES! Definitely set out your dead ball tactics. Put the player with the highest corner/free ability as your designated taker. For free kicks, have one setting (either from the right or left side) aimed towards your best header of the ball and the other setting to the 'centre'.

For corners, have one aimed at near post where someone can flick it on and one aimed at the back post for the player with the best heading ability to knock it in. One thing for corners (not sure if you can do it with free kicks) is to have someone challenge the keeper. As a result of that, there's a good chance he'll spill the ball ready to be knocked in.

If you're having budget problems, look to offload players that aren't going to contribute. As you're Chelsea, Kalou for example :p Also look to loan out reserve team players with a fee attached. It will only be the mid hundred thousands but if you send out 4/5 then that could net you a million. There's also the chance that if you're challenging for the title come January, then you can ask the board for money. It'll probably be rejected, but you never know. Again, look to sell players if you're desperate for funds.

One thing I will say is, get your tactics right and they'll pay dividends. If you play the same tactics consistently then the players will learn them, they adapt and get better. In match preparation you have three options for playable tactics and a bar graph which shows the teams ability to play said tactics. For me what I did, I had the same tactic in two slots and a different one for the third. That way, no matter which version you go to, the teams ability to play the tactic doesn't decrease.

Go to tactics and set up your team in the way you want them to play. Save that tactic and set it to that in'match preparation'. Again, go to tactics and select a new tactic, a plan B if you will. Save it and then set it as an option in 'match preparation'. Then select your main tactic as the third option.

Apologies if that's a confusing read :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

So looking for any tips.

thanks

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/forum.php

FM Base forums are incredibly helpful. I would HIGHLY recommend joining and posting in there. I havn't played FM 2011 in about 3 or 4 months but I was on that website for ages. It's really good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Pay attention to the advice you get. If the team you're playing has fast forwards and the pitch is a long one, play deeper than usual. If you're playing with a high line, make sure you have offside trap on.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

Annoyingly we get no budget in the first season but the trade-off being that we have Torres and Luiz in the squad! Luiz is crap tho...

Best advice for the first season in my experience is to hold on to the team as it currently is for the first year, good enough to win you the league, then next season go hell for leather trying to sell drogs/anelka/kalou/benayoun/zhirkov to bump up your transfer budget!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

I'm also a newbie to the Football Manager series. Any tips on what to do in your first say...two weeks into the game?

Whats the best way to start?

• Advertisement

I'm also a newbie to the Football Manager series. Any tips on what to do in your first say...two weeks into the game?

Whats the best way to start?
    Get the nitty gritty out of the way. Familiarize yourself with your squad, even doing the most basic of things like assigning good corner takers and throwers to corner kicks and throw ins respectively.

Don't change your formation around too much, too drastically. Whichever way you decide to play, your players will need time to adapt to it.

Who are you managing?

Voltwad wrote: »
    Get the nitty gritty out of the way. Familiarize yourself with your squad, even doing the most basic of things like assigning good corner takers and throwers to corner kicks and throw ins respectively.

Don't change your formation around too much, too drastically. Whichever way you decide to play, your players will need time to adapt to it.

Who are you managing?

Aston Villa. Chose them because they have a small squad, should be easier to manage and and the finances were half decent.

I know I'll need a new assistant manager straight away

Aston Villa. Chose them because they have a small squad, should be easier to manage and and the finances were half decent.

I know I'll need a new assistant manager straight away
    You'll probably need a decent CM/DM too. With the strengths you have on the wings though, try utilize that. Also, with Agbonlahor up front, allow him to run with the ball regularly. Watch out for pitches that are narrow though as widemen may struggle to do well on those.

You'll probably need a decent CM/DM too. With the strengths you have on the wings though, try utilize that. Also, with Agbonlahor up front, allow him to run with the ball regularly. Watch out for pitches that are narrow though as widemen may struggle to do well on those.

Nice one.

I was hoping to get a 4-1-2-2-1 formation going.

Striker

Winger
    Winger

--Center Mid---Center Mid--

Defensive Mid

etc etc...

I know the fun of the game is tweaking the team and I obviously dont want you to reveal EVERYTHING but when I started it up it just seemed so daunting! Like I would never get going! Training schedules especially along with creating a tactic!

It can take a while to get anything done but if you succeed it gives you a better sense of accomplishment knowing that your tactics worked.

• Advertisement

It can take a while to get anything done but if you succeed it gives you a better sense of accomplishment knowing that your tactics worked.

Thanks again for the help. Think I'll scrap the game I have at the moment and restart fresh with a few tips from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Im new too, upgraded from FM 2008.

This is a lot more complicted. Started a season with blackpool but they are sh!te and I kept getting beat and I have feck all money.

I was playing a 4-3-2-1 but my defenders were basically retarded.

I dont want to use a top team as there is no real challenge there, I was thinking of building up a championship team but I dont want one too easy or too hard if you get what I mean. I was going to take Nottm Forrest but their expectation was to win, but from experience my first seasons are disastrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

So looking for any tips.

thanks

Say goodbye to your social life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Right I used to play the old LMA's on PS2 so when I saw FM 2006 on the xbox for 98 cent in gamestop I couldn't resist. It was actually quite fun but it lacked depth. Of the newer management games which would be the bes one to buy? Without breaking the bank! On xbox preferably

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭pbowenroe

LMA manager that brings me back lol. Real Madrid or Juventus were the to team to be.

Advertisement