Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Childhood Memories

• 03-07-2011 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I posted this in the “Things you miss about Dublin the most” forum and got no response. I wonder if anyone here remembers sixty-fourers? I've yet to meet anyone who knows what I'm talking about. My brother used to swap them in the Banba in Capel Street. I'd like to hear if anyone does know what I'm talking about. If not, I will post an explanation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

no idea...remember the Banba though........got my first "Spud Gun" from there....:p
    spud_gun_retro.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Cicero wrote: »
    no idea...remember the Banba though........got my first "Spud Gun" from there....:p
    spud_gun_retro.jpg

So did my brother.......I assure you it was very painful for the 'victim'!!!!! And when we played cowboys & indians, I was always the indian and on the one occasion I was the cowboy......I was 'shot'.... by the indian!!! Flippin' brothers!

‘Sixty-fourers’ were pocket war comics. My brother said it was because they had 64 pages – but I know that wasn’t true as I distinctly remember checking it out at the time and there were more than 64 pages. The name might just have been one that the kids in our area called them. Perhaps someone else may have a different name for them. Here is a little more information from www.comicsmagazines.com/battle1to100.htm

“Battle Picture Library was published by Fleetway Publications and was the last of the big war pocket library titles for Fleetway Battle Picture Library had a long publishing run between Jan 1961-Dec 1984 (1706 issues). Many of the later issues however were reprints from earlier issues and other Fleetway titles”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I remember Banba and the Battle Picture Library books well. It's where we all learned our stock few German phrses that instantly spring to mind whenever we meet a German (no matter how well intentioned we are).
    Mein Gott
    Hande hoch
    Achtung
    Es ist ein Engländer
    Was always more of a fan of the Beano and the Dandy myself along with the American DC and Marvel publications. (Inner geek seething for release)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    I remember Banba and the Battle Picture Library books well. It's where we all learned our stock few German phrses that instantly spring to mind whenever we meet a German (no matter how well intentioned we are).
    Mein Gott
    Hande hoch
    Achtung
    Es ist ein Engländer
    Was always more of a fan of the Beano and the Dandy myself along with the American DC and Marvel publications. (Inner geek seething for release)

That is so true......and what a brilliant way to teach kids a foreign language! They hadn't copped on to that one in those days! If the Germans had been given longer sentences (text, not prison) or paragraphs to say, we could all have been bilingual by now. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    So did my brother.......I assure you it was very painful for the 'victim'!!!!! And when we played cowboys & indians, I was always the indian and on the one occasion I was the cowboy......I was 'shot'.... by the indian!!! Flippin' brothers!

damned right it was....:D....a pretty dangerous toy by modern standards as it packed quite a punch...but it was also a dream toy...endless supply of "bullets" just using a potato

• Advertisement

Cicero wrote: »
    damned right it was....:D....a pretty dangerous toy by modern standards as it packed quite a punch...but it was also a dream toy...endless supply of "bullets" just using a potato

You could use carrots and turnips too!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,877 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ha! I remember Battle Picture Library - I used to go and visit my grandmother with my parents in her gloomy, child resistent house, and the only thing to do was read the few comics left in a neat pile in the front room by my cousin. Battle and Film Fun, both of which I hated but there was nothing else. At all.

looksee wrote: »
    Ha! I remember Battle Picture Library - I used to go and visit my grandmother with my parents in her gloomy, child resistent house, and the only thing to do was read the few comics left in a neat pile in the front room by my cousin. Battle and Film Fun, both of which I hated but there was nothing else. At all.

You didn't have it so bad (ye gods, I sound like that Monty Python sketch!!), when we used to visit an aged relative who'd never married and had no children, there were no comics, no toys, but lots and lots of very watery raspberry jelly, obviously watered down to make it go round all the visitors that day!!! We were expected to be ecstatic about it because we were looked down on as the 'poor' relatives! Truth be told, everyone was poor then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

I posted this in the “Things you miss about Dublin the most” forum and got no response. I wonder if anyone here remembers sixty-fourers? I've yet to meet anyone who knows what I'm talking about. My brother used to swap them in the Banba in Capel Street. I'd like to hear if anyone does know what I'm talking about. If not, I will post an explanation.

As a voracious comic reader in my pre teens, I remember the 64 pagers very well. As far as I remember they were 1s/3d. Kit Carson, Davy Crockett and others. Generally 4 captions per page and there were 64 of same. The size was maybe 8" x 5". Funny enough what I remember most were the log cabins ......... and now I live among them :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,340 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I remember those Battle comics, but I was more a Commando fan myself. It seems that they still publish them, I thought they'd have gone the way of the Victor, Hotspur, Warlord and Hornet. I really did read too many war comics, didn't I? :D

• Advertisement

Ah hello Spread, fancy meeting you in here! :D

I thought the 64-ers would have been smaller than 8x5 but then I was more into the Beano, Dandy and then Bunty and Judy later on. I also remember a few Archie comics and Little Dot, Dot always wore a spotty dress and ribbon in her hair, and I also liked Charlie Brown but maybe that was later. Remember also, Jiggs and Maggie; Beetle Bailey, and of course Andy Capp?

Mandrake the magician gestures hypnotically and suddenly everyone remembers the comic strips in the Evening Herald.

Speaking of the papers, remember when the vendors used to sell both the Herald and the Press? The street cry "HellardorPrh" was the most frequent heard but there was a lad in Finglas whose cry came out more like "Herpes" which never failed to make me giggle.

I remember those paper sellers. But I remember them shouting "Herralamailorpress!" when the Daily Mail was still in print, or was it the Evening Mail?

Yes Mandrake, I'd forgotten all about him, well dressed magician, top hat and tails, his mot was Narda. Funny how children were never called after our heroes in those days!!! ("Mandrake, come in fer yer dinner!")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Was Mandrake the one with the top hat and opera cloak?

Rubecula wrote: »
    Was Mandrake the one with the top hat and opera cloak?

Yup!

Yup!

Never heard of him :pac::pac::pac:

Only Newsapaer cartoons I can remember were printed when I was already old enough to read the paper anyway. Andy Capp and things like that. I did like the Sunday Post (Scottish paper) with the Broons and Oor Wullie too.

But I really got into comics more than papers when I was a kiddywinkie. I liked Hurricane, with the Juggernaut from Planet Z, and Typhoon Tracy. I actually had ever single issue from number one to the last one (when it became "Tiger and Hurricane")

My apologies don't know how that happened. Mods I can't delete.

My apologies don't know how that happened. Mods I can't delete.
    I got that for ya Jelly. Did you google 'Google'? You know that will cause the multiverses to implode. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

Down the country with only one tv station, it was a mad rush home from school wednesday to catch the mid-week movie(usually a western) when Telefis Eireann decided to open at 3pm instead of 5.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 brigid.coates

Does anyone remember "scraps" in the 50's and early 60's- pretty paper pictures with shiny surfaces that were bought in sets. Girls kept them pressedd in books and swapped them with their friends.

• Advertisement

Does anyone remember "scraps" in the 50's and early 60's- pretty paper pictures with shiny surfaces that were bought in sets. Girls kept them pressedd in books and swapped them with their friends.

I still do that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Getting a lift on Guinness floats, carrying panes of glass on the pedal of the bicycle, saving used nails, washers, nuts & bolts ( and never using them),people collecting coal down the dock road, going to ''the pictures''. Summer Sundays and the sound of Michael O'Hehir and the smell of bacon and cabbage coming from every open doorway as we made our way to John Bull's for a swim

I still do that!!

I think that is where the term Scrap book comes from you know. (Yeah I am really clever.) My gran kept a scrapbook all her life and in it she pasted useful hints from various magazines and newspapers. Such as how to remove stains and darn a sock with barbed wire or whatever. I think I still actually have the book in a cupboard. It is really thick but it was done over a lot of years since before my mum was born.
    marienbad wrote: »
    Getting a lift on Guinness floats, carrying panes of glass on the pedal of the bicycle, saving used nails, washers, nuts & bolts ( and never using them),people collecting coal down the dock road, going to ''the pictures''. Summer Sundays and the sound of Michael O'Hehir and the smell of bacon and cabbage coming from every open doorway as we made our way to John Bull's for a swim

I still have a huge collection of nails, screws and such like that I will never use.... but you never know:pac:

I still have a huge collection of nails, screws and such like that I will never use.... but you never know:pac:

I once saw a TV programme about people who collect odd things. One man had a box in his shed labelled "bits of string too short for usefulness". Beat that!

I once saw a TV programme about people who collect odd things. One man had a box in his shed labelled "bits of string too short for usefulness". Beat that!

Worst one I can think of was an article about a weird bloke, who kept his own ear wax. He wanted to donate it to science. As far as I know there are no takers.:eek:

Just be careful girls if some strange man wants to show you his collection.:confused:

Now if you will excuse me I feel a little bit ill.:(

Worst one I can think of was an article about a weird bloke, who kept his own ear wax. He wanted to donate it to science. As far as I know there are no takers.:eek:

Just be careful girls if some strange man wants to show you his collection.:confused:

Now if you will excuse me I feel a little bit ill.:(

I feel a tad green myself.

Advertisement