Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooleys

Options
  • 03-07-2011 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Thinking about climbing Slieve Foye tomorrow and just wondering where you start from? Is there a carpark in carlingford that you can start from? Cant find much info online

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

If you can arrange a driver and/or 2 cars a popular route is to get dropped off at the Lumpers Pub in Ravensdale and walk over the Cooley Mts into Carlingford. It's a decent walk and will take 3 to 4 hours but has some stunning views of Dundalk/Louth from the West Side and then Carlingford Lough on the East side. Nothing beats strolling into Carlingford at the other end for an ice-cream (pint).

Most of the Tain trails are decently marked out but of course bring a map or GPS enabled smartphone to stay on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Hi,

That's my blog there that got referenced above.

I don't think it would cost very much to park in Carlingford village and get a taxi to drop you up at the Windy Gap....it's about a 10 - 15 minute drive if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

coalshed wrote: »
    Hi,

That's my blog there that got referenced above.

I don't think it would cost very much to park in Carlingford village and get a taxi to drop you up at the Windy Gap....it's about a 10 - 15 minute drive if I remember correctly.

Great blog and brilliant achievement - well done on the overall accomplishment. Also its links like the one to your site that makes boards a powerful social medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Great blog and brilliant achievement - well done on the overall accomplishment. Also its links like the one to your site that makes boards a powerful social medium.

Wow, thank Henry. It certainly was a fun exercise, I'd urge anyone into their hiking to consider it as you'll get to see some really interesting parts of the country that you might not otherwise reach.

• Advertisement
Advertisement