Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Full licence expired

Options
  • 03-07-2011 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

My full driving licence has expired by a week. Will I have any problems renewing it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Nope, I believe you can do it within the next 10 years, but after that you'll have to do a test... Happened to our esteemed former Taoiseach Bertie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

flanzer wrote: »
    Nope, I believe you can do it within the next 10 years, but after that you'll have to do a test... Happened to our esteemed former Taoiseach Bertie

Yup,,it's 10 years....

After that,you have to re-apply and do the theory test,,,etc from the start.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Licensed-Drivers/Driving-licence/Renewing-your-licence/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

SexyGuy wrote: »
    I think that's actually 5 years.

After that,you have to re-apply and do the theory test,,,etc from the start.

Flanzer is correct. Its 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Duiske wrote: »
    Flanzer is correct. Its 10 years.

Yeah,,Sorry about that...

I checked it out,and edited My last post.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

What's the deal with expired licenses and insurance?

I know in UK (where I got my licence) an expired license means you have no licence so your insurance etc is invalid and you are illegally on the road. Is it the same here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Goreygal wrote: »
    What's the deal with expired licenses and insurance?

I know in UK (where I got my licence) an expired license means you have no licence so your insurance etc is invalid and you are illegally on the road. Is it the same here?

Short answer: No

Long Answer: driving on an expired licence does not invalidate your motor insurance. As long as you haven't been disqualified or never held a licence your insurance cover is not affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

coylemj wrote: »
    Short answer: No

Long Answer: driving on an expired licence does not invalidate your motor insurance. As long as you haven't been disqualified or never held a licence your insurance cover is not affected.

So you can insure yourself driving a car even though you've never had a license? Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Goreygal wrote: »
    So you can insure yourself driving a car even though you've never had a license? Bizarre.

No, maybe I should have phrased what I said this way....

As long as you haven't (1) been disqualified or (2) never held a licence, your insurance cover is not affected.

Or put more simply: You need to have held a licence at some stage and not be currently disqualified.

Advertisement