Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stag - Westport - Aug. Bank Holiday Weekend

Options
  • 03-07-2011 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Alright boarders, need a bit of a dig out here.....

A group of approx. 30 lads heading down to Westport, August Bank Holiday Weekend, if anyone has been on a similar outing here before, i'd appreciate any ideas / comments on good watering holes, activities etc......

Going down the Saturday, coming back on Monday.....

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Paintballing

Aug bank holiday is normally a good weekend. Coupled with the fact it's also reek weekend. Town will be jammed.

Where are you staying?

Pubs, Henahens and Cosy Joes are late bars 2am. Night Club is the castlecourt, decent spot these days.

Matt Molloys, The West, The Jester, The Clock Tavern all good pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 pearljamsambo

Thanks for that! Appreciate it. We're staying in a number of places in the town. Few of us are in Henehans....

Is Clare Island worth a visit.....someone had suggested it...

Clare Island is a bit way out of the way. Your talking 30-40 mins drive from westport town centre.

Trip Advisor

Discover Ireland

It's a bit different, clear the head after a night on the piss. Never saw the appeal meself TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 pearljamsambo

Anything that'll keep us out of the pub for a while!

Thanks again for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Clare Island by ferry from Roonagh or Achill by road are both worth visiting,

See previous posts on this board re facilities in Westport area. Enjoy,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Anything that'll keep us out of the pub for a while!

You could always tour the greenway from Newport to Mulranney although the section from Westport could be open by then. A walk on bertra beach and sand dunes past Murrisk is always a great place to clear the heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

I would suggest climbing the reek but if there is 30 of you could end in some casualties :-)
    Some of your crew may be up for the challenge though.

Beaches are in the Louisburgh direction:
    Try Old Head beach for splash around if the weather is any good. You'll need a couple of minibuses to get you there.

Surfing: There is a surf beach "Carrownisky" further out and you could try and arrange renting surf gear from:
    http://www.surfmayo.com/

hope all goes well and keep the noise down :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 gnilhsa

westport war games!! heard a few of the stags that have went ther and loved it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

OP, how did the stag work out?

Ive the same thing this weekend, bout 30 lads over 2 nights, heading to Clare Island on saturday for the day.

I suppose we'll end up in the Castlecourt Hotel nightclub. Is this the only one in town?

Can anyone suggest a good pub to start off with on Friday? Myself and a few others will be the first group there and we want a decent meeting point in the town to get the night moving- one lad suggested Matt Molloys

Molloys is always wedged and a bad spot for meeting because of it's size/entances.

Henahens/The Clock Travern/The West/The Jester would be the best places for a group meet up and crawl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭The Bull

OP, how did the stag work out?

Ive the same thing this weekend, bout 30 lads over 2 nights, heading to Clare Island on saturday for the day.

I suppose we'll end up in the Castlecourt Hotel nightclub. Is this the only one in town?

Can anyone suggest a good pub to start off with on Friday? Myself and a few others will be the first group there and we want a decent meeting point in the town to get the night moving- one lad suggested Matt Molloys

Town is going to be wedged this weekend as the westportmusicfestival is on.

http://www.westportmusicfestival.com/

I think alot of the pubs will have late bars or exemptions this weekend on account of the festival so most will be open till 2am I think. Nearly all the pubs in town were open late the last few festivals if i recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

The Bull wrote: »
    Town is going to be wedged this weekend as the westportmusicfestival is on.

http://www.westportmusicfestival.com/

I think alot of the pubs will have late bars or exemptions this weekend on account of the festival so most will be open till 2am I think. Nearly all the pubs in town were open late the last few festivals if i recall correctly.

Thanks for that, I wouldn't have known otherwise.

Basically myself and a few guys are heading up from Limerick around 3 on Friday. we'll be first there and the other lads (getting the train from dublin around 6.30) wont be in til after 10 probably. As said, we're just gonna pick a decent meeting point and take it from there. is it all mainly one street? been a few years since i was there and i was langers for most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Thanks for that, I wouldn't have known otherwise.

Basically myself and a few guys are heading up from Limerick around 3 on Friday. we'll be first there and the other lads (getting the train from dublin around 6.30) wont be in til after 10 probably. As said, we're just gonna pick a decent meeting point and take it from there. is it all mainly one street? been a few years since i was there and i was langers for most of it.

Friday nights aren't as busy as Saturday so you shouldn't problems with crowds. Most of the good pubs are all within a short walking distance. I'd recommend starting at The Clock and working down the street to O Malleys, Heneghans, the back bar in Matt Molloys, use the alleyway entrance to avoid the the narrow front bar. Then onto the Porter House. Cosy Joes, Jester and The West are 3 more lively bars along the street.

Late bar options are Heneghans and Cosy Joes. (Heneghans gets my vote)
    Niteclub option is Mojo's across the bridge and up towards the Castlecourt Hotel.

Plenty of other great pubs in Westport too but these are the main crowd gatherers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

AGREE WITH mAYO mISS'S . also McGings up above the clock on High St

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Can't leave Westport without a pint in Moran's (across the road from Matt Molloy's). It is a quaint spot.

dec25532 wrote: »
    Can't leave Westport without a pint in Moran's (across the road from Matt Molloy's). It is a quaint spot.

A group of 30lads would jam the place.:pac: Tis a fine pub though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement