Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor/Executor question

Options
  • 03-07-2011 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Can anyone tell me if a solicitor/executor has the power to request bank statements, copies of cancelled cheques, from the deceased accounts? I know that they must get a statement of the value of accounts at the time of death.

If there is some question and even hard evidence of these accounts being mis-used by a third party with no right to access them, would the solicitor/executor normally seek records to clarify what has happened?

If the solicitor/executor told the beneficiaries that past records could only be sought when probate was granted, would that be a true statement?

If, after probate was granted, the solicitor/executor told the beneficiaries that past records could only be sought after all the accounts were closed, would that be a true statement?

If anyone could help with this, or even offer citations or links, I would be very grateful. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Ebola_Gray

Just in case anyone else is interested in this...

A solicitor/executor has the power to request past bank statements, etc. after the Grant of Probate. Confirmed by calls to legal departments of AIB, BOI, and Ulster banks.

They do not have to wait until the accounts are closed.

Advertisement