Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How accurate is valuate.com and Estibot

• 03-07-2011 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭

I've been given the chance to buy 3 domains names on Sedo from a friend.

I ran them through valuate.com and Estibot and they are coming back as $710 / $1500 / $1600 on both sites so i assume they use the same software to apprise domain names.

My friend said i can have them for $30 each.

Is estibot and valuate anywhere near to the right value ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

None of the automated solutions provide realistic valuations
    They work on the basis of domain length, age and one or two other factors and totally ignore plenty of others such as past sales, traffic etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Thank you.

Thats what i've been hearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

Blacknight summed up the situation well. Apart from .com, if they are ccTLD domains (.eu, .co.uk etc) then Estibot's and Valuate's figures will not provide an accurate view. This is due to much of their figures being based on .com and .net sales. The other factor to take into consideration is whether the domains are registered in any other TLDs (if it is a .com, is it also registered in .net/org/biz/info/etc). If it is a one hit wonder (only exists in one TLD) then the value might be somewhat lower and it could be what is referred to as regfee (only value is that of the registration fee). Valuing domains is a tricky business but if your friend's domains are good for some project, then it might be worth buying them.

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

This is hilarious. Its valued my niche domains which never get any traffic other than as a PPC or Facebook splash page at triple the price of my genuinely valuable domains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Trashbat wrote: »
    This is hilarious. Its valued my niche domains which never get any traffic other than as a PPC or Facebook splash page at triple the price of my genuinely valuable domains.
    What do you expect from an automated (and free?) service? :)

An active domain name with a business (or some other activity) behind it might score really badly on some of these valuation services and be worth a fortune, while other domain names that have no "real" value behind them will come out on top ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chrisgorlitz

NeVeR wrote: »
    I've been given the chance to buy 3 domains names on Sedo from a friend.

I ran them through valuate.com and Estibot and they are coming back as $710 / $1500 / $1600 on both sites so i assume they use the same software to apprise domain names.

My friend said i can have them for $30 each.

Is estibot and valuate anywhere near to the right value ?

Thanks.

Well from personal experience I think they inflate the values but, that said there are reasons for there valuations for example I bought "ifthe" on the dot co dot uk and it came back as $23,000 on estibot and valuate I got a price suggestion off of sedo of only £500. That said it is two key words that get millions of searches and is easy to remember. Mind you cost me only £7.14, and I think I'll get round to using it just for the amount of seaches.

Advertisement