Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord wants €600 deposit and €600 in advance rent

Options
  • 04-07-2011 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭

A friend is looking at rented accomodation at the moment .

Has looked at a suitable house , but the landlord wants €600 deposit now and €600 rent in advance now . ( total € 1,200 )

Is there any way around this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Standard procedure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

What is the monthly rent? If the rent is €600/month, then a month's rent for the deposit and a month's rent in advance is fairly standard and not unreasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

As Max says, that's normal. Consider the LL's position, taking on a stranger who might wreck the place, or not pay their rent.

This has been the norm in any place I've rented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

ArtSmart wrote: »
    LOL.

Thanks for answers lads , - Its not funny when a guy is trying to come up with €1,200 in advance of renting.

But if it is standard procedure , then I will pass this on .

Apparently the reasoning behind the € 600 rent in advance is because if the tenant leaves without notice the landlord is covered , whereas with a deposit €600 , the tenant has a months free rent at the end of contract . ( whenever that happens )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

The deposit is not a months free rent at the end of lease, the deposit is to cover the landloed for any damage, if no damage is done then the deposit is returned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Apologies, meant to start new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

The months rent is because rent is always paid in advance
    The deposit is to cover damage done by the tenant, or bills left outstanding when tenant moves out. Deposit should be given back in full when tenant moves out, assuming no issues. Deposit is not allowed to be used as last months rent.

Just to let you all know that I was quite disappointed that no-one on boards could offer a way around the €600 advance rent and €600 deposit .( total € 1,200 advance to Landlord )

However , I did also seek professional advice , and it was suggested that I have a chat with the LL and ask if he would be agree-able to receive the deposit in monthly instalments .

He duly agreed , and an amount has been agreed thats suits my friend .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Just to let you all know that I was quite disappointed that no-one on boards could offer a way around the €600 advance rent and €600 deposit .( total € 1,200 advance to Landlord )

People pointed out that it was standard practice in this country to pay a deposit of one month's rent, and rent is always payable in advance so in order to rent you do generally need the equivalent of two months rent in advance. In some countries the deposit is several months rent as a deposit plus rent in advance.

Only an individual landlord could negotiate any difference to the norm. People on this forum can only advise of their own experiences.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

However , I did also seek professional advice , and it was suggested that I have a chat with the LL and ask if he would be agree-able to receive the deposit in monthly instalments .

He duly agreed , and an amount has been agreed thats suits my friend .

We are very very sorry and will ty to do better next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭djmcr

We are very very sorry and will ty to do better next time.
    I'm hanging my head in shame:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

When I lived in the UK it was 6 weeks in advance, and 6 week deposit - not a month

TBH If I was renting somewhere and someone came to me asking to reduce the deposit I would run a mile - huge red flags as if you did trash the place [not saying you will or would, but if] 300 or whatever would hardly cover the cleaning let alone fixing stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

A friend is looking at rented accomodation at the moment .

Has looked at a suitable house , but the landlord wants €600 deposit now and €600 rent in advance now . ( total € 1,200 )

Is there any way around this ?

Have a word with the landlord and try to get him to reduce to to a deposit of 600 instead. Some landlords just want a months deposit. 1200 euro is a lot of money to entrust to someone

Im surprised no one on here suggested that to you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Bob Z wrote: »
    Have a word with the landlord and try to get him to reduce to to a deposit of 600 instead. Some landlords just want a months deposit. 1200 euro is a lot of money to entrust to someone

Alternatively maybe ask the Landlord if the deposit could be paid in instalments, he may agree. I can't believe i'm the only one to come up with this suggestion.......

...damn it, a Johnny Come Lately again !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

But the deposit was €600, and so only €600 was entrusted. The other €600 was the rent, i.e. payment for the service to be received, just paid in advance. Like 99.9% of private rental agreements in this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

lainey316 wrote: »
    But the deposit was €600, and so only €600 was entrusted. The other €600 was the rent, i.e. payment for the service to be received, just paid in advance. Like 99.9% of private rental agreements in this country.

Now lainey, youre not being helpful :p

I knowSMC, neither am I :D

OP, your friend is being asked for the standard measure. Whats the problem? If he cant afford to pay it, then stay at home until he can. A deposit is normal, a month in advance is....normal. Is not IF this is standard procedure, it IS standard procedure. Its not funny for anybody trying to come up with deposits and rent. He might be your friend, but hes no different to anybody else trying to get their first rented place on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Out of interest is your friend expecting the deposit to be paid back in full when they move out or are they going to let the LL pay it back in instalments?

My friend is delighted that the LL has agreed to accept the damage deposit over a number of months .

After all , the contract is been signed for a year , so it makes sense to accept the damage deposit over a number of months . - Why pay this deposit instantly when you are signing a 12 month term .

So happy days to both LL and my friend .

The LL has his €600 rent in advance plus €600 deposit over a number of months , and the LL also has genuine references .

Its a win win situation for the LL , - he now has someone that is going to contribute towards his mortgage for the next 12 months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

My friend is delighted that the LL has agreed to accept the damage deposit over a number of months .

After all , the contract is been signed for a year , so it makes sense to accept the damage deposit over a number of months . - Why pay this deposit instantly when you are signing a 12 month term .

So happy days to both LL and my friend .

The LL has his €600 rent in advance plus €600 deposit over a number of months , and the LL also has genuine references .

Its a win win situation for the LL , - he now has someone that is going to contribute towards his mortgage for the next 12 months

1200 is a lot to give someone. I hope you landlord is trustworthy

Its actually a very simple transaction ...........On a specific date my friend hands over €600 and on the same date the landlord hands over keys of house .

Hang on a minute though ...............My friend needs to get a reference from landlord to ensure he is trustworthy .

• Registered Users Posts: 78,398 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ArtSmart wrote: »
    LOL.
    As little bit more helpful please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭djmcr

Victor wrote: »
    As little bit more helpful please.

Initially I thought this was a piss take myself as paying the deposit when you rent is the norm in this country so I can understand ArtSmart's comment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

No it is not win win. The LL is taking a risk that while the deposit builds up your friend doesn't stop paying the rent nor does any damage. THe Deposit system is very standard and has quite of logic it to it. Taking deposit by installments is an extremely risky idea.
    It is essentially defeating the whole purpose of the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

1200 is a lot to give someone. I hope you landlord is trustworthy

A property is a lot to give someone. I hope your friend is trustworthy.

djmcr wrote: »
    Initially I thought this was a piss take myself as paying the deposit when you rent is the norm in this country so I can understand ArtSmart's comment

Pi$$-takes are for the after-hours forum.

Its obvious that most of the posters in this thread are Landlords themselves , as the majority of answers leaned heavily in their favour .

When someone is starting out on the bottom rung of the ladder , it does'nt matter whether they are renting or buying , it is a difficult time either way .

My friend was looking for flexabilty and mutual agreement , and he has received both from this LL.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Its obvious that most of the posters in this thread are Landlords themselves , as the majority of answers leaned heavily in their favour .

No, it's obvious most of the posters in this thread are aware of the global standard that is paying a deposit and rent up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

OP, I'm not a landlord, but I am in my 6th rental agreement and that has been teh situation in every single one of them - deposit + one month's rent up front. Of all my friends who are still renting, and those who previously rented, I know one situation where this was not the case & they worked out a deal like your friend.

Look, I'm glad your friend was able to work things out to suit them, but it is not the norm. It is not the standard approach. The posters here are not out to upset you or make things difficult for your friend or to be unhelpful - they are describing the norm, what happens in 99% of private rental agreements. Maybe 99.9%.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Pi$$-takes are for the after-hours forum.

When someone is starting out on the bottom rung of the ladder , it does'nt matter whether they are renting or buying , it is a difficult time either way .

My friend was looking for flexabilty and mutual agreement , and he has received both from this LL.

So your friend will be paying 650 a month now providing they stay the next twelve months . Has your friend agreed to pay a lump sum of whatever is owed on the deposit if they leave early

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement