Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord wants €600 deposit and €600 in advance rent

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Pi$$-takes are for the after-hours forum.

Its obvious that most of the posters in this thread are Landlords themselves , as the majority of answers leaned heavily in their favour .

When someone is starting out on the bottom rung of the ladder , it does'nt matter whether they are renting or buying , it is a difficult time either way .

My friend was looking for flexabilty and mutual agreement , and he has received both from this LL.

I'm not a landlord and I agreed with the sentiments in the above threads too. It honestly is standard practice, I know this from living in probably 10 different rental premises. You will see over time that what the landlord did for your friend isn't at all common and quite generous on behalf of the landlord. If your friend breaks the lease and doesn't pay rent next month as well as causing damage to the place, the landlord is up sh1t creek without a paddle. I'm sure your friend isn't like that but the landlord is just covering himself.

€1200 is indeed a lot to fork out in a lump but the rent is €600 and that will have to be paid every month. Rent/mortgage is usually a person's largest monthly expenditure. The deposit is only once off and you'll get it back if you leave the place how you found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

OP I'm not a landlord and have rented in several countries for near 14 years now and trust me one month is nothing compared to most countries. Currently living in the uk were they expect 6 to 8 weeks worth of rent as deposit...no ifs or buts and you'd be very hard going to find a decent LL here that doesn't look for at least 6 weeks...frankly I wouldn't be keen on renting from someone who doesn't follow standard procedure, in my experience only slumlords and cowboy landlords don't follow standard procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Several months rent in advance plus a hefty deposit is common in the Netherlands.

Putting together the money for your first deposit and month's rent is one of the big adult steps that you have to take in your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Its obvious that most of the posters in this thread are Landlords themselves , as the majority of answers leaned heavily in their favour .

When someone is starting out on the bottom rung of the ladder , it does'nt matter whether they are renting or buying , it is a difficult time either way .

My friend was looking for flexabilty and mutual agreement , and he has received both from this LL.

I'm not a landlord - never have been. Am a homeowner at present however rented from the ages of 17-26 odd (about 7 different places in different parts of the country. (never rented outside of here but have rented hotel rooms in many different countries)
    The practice in all the houses I have rented have been the same - 1 months rent in advance + a months rent as a deposit (for damages and the like). Sometimes I signed a lease, sometimes not (different times), sometimes a verbal contract with a receipt for the payments received were enough.
    Whenever I needed to move on, gave the landlord/main tenant a months notice, cleaned up the house/room, had the landlord around and got my deposit back. Fairly standard/straight forward transaction as far as all parties were concerned.
    I was lucky with landlords perhaps, all were decent people, very fair. I respected them and their property they were fair to me.

Its difficult to come up with that kinda money always has been - but you should really only have to come up with a deposit once - the next house you get, the first deposit should pay for it once you got it back.

Fair play to your friend for negotiating, it is a renters market out there at the moment and negotiating rents etc is all part and parcel of the process.

I thought this was a p1$$ take thread as well being honest, but I suppose if it is you and your friends first experience of renting, I suppose the question you ask is serious enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

In my own experience it the deposit is usally just one month's rent and i wouldnt pay any more but the other posters might live in different areas where the average deposit is higher

Its something you have to ask your friends or people living near by

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭djmcr

No offence was meant but if you had taken the time to do a search on this forum you would have seen countless number of threads re deposits for renting. I'm currently renting property myself and am definitely not landlord biased but landlords need to be able to have some sort of deposit to cover themselves from tenants doing damage to their properties or doing a runner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

dudara wrote: »
    Putting together the money for your first deposit and month's rent is one of the big adult steps that you have to take in your life.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Fair play OP. You showed everyone in this thread right and proper. Great job.

But that doesn't stop you from being ignorant - in the sense of both lack of knowledge and lack of manners - to an almost comical degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

A friend is looking at rented accomodation at the moment .

Has looked at a suitable house , but the landlord wants €600 deposit now and €600 rent in advance now . ( total € 1,200 )

Is there any way around this ?
    as other poster said, this would be way more abroad

Bog Standard in germany is 3 months rent (including expenses) as deposit.
    Plus 2 months rent (no expenses but plus VAT) to the estate agent for his "help"
    AND a month in advance rent.

So a 600 euro apt like yours would be 700(incl say €100 expenses)*3 deposit, plus 1400-ish for estate agent plus 700 rent(+xpenses) in advance!

So 4200 more or less for anyone in your situation just to get the keys to a 600 euro a month gaff!
    You should thank your luck stars that ireland is such a CHEAP place to live!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Then he is lucky and I hope he doesn't exploit that flexibility in a negative manner.

It is standard practice to provide one months rent in advance and one or two months rent as damage deposit. Normally there is no way around this except by individual negotiation. The expectation that anyone who points out that this is standard is a landlord because they are somehow taking the landlord's side is naive.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement