Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Boards Summer Beers - O'Connell's Saturday 6th August

Options
  • 04-07-2011 5:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

So, anyone else think it's time we started organising another one?

Have missed the last couple so partly the reason I'm so eager to get another one going but it will have been more than a couple of months since the last one by the time dates and venues are agreed and voted on.

Using the template of the last beers thread...

Please add dates and venues below and a nice Mod will create a poll in a while.

* If you don't like a date or a venue suggested you can add your own suggestion.
    * Poll will be multi-choice, you can choose several dates/venues that are good for you.
    * Poll will be public. If you vote you're expected to show up.
    * Anyone can come, most people there will probably never have met before.

I'll start:
    Any Friday or Sat, The Salthouse kicking off at 8pm.

When? 23 votes

Friday 22nd July
    0%
    Saturday 23rd July
    34%
    DRakE[Deleted User]moonflowerPanthrocivis_liberalisPauricTheLodgersunshine22Redditor 8 votes
    Friday 29th July (Race week)
    30%
    civis_liberalisPauricTheLodgerAcoshlaminxieToniTuddleGalway K9Redditor 7 votes
    Saturday 30th July (Race week)
    4%
    Sea Devils 1 vote
    Friday 5th August
    8%
    kingtutToniTuddle 2 votes
    Saturday 6th August
    21%
    bikopleasant Co.PauricTheLodgermazthesparkColumc 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I'm partial to the beer garden out the back of O'Connell's. Especially if there's a fine night in it.

Saturday nights are good for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 crashvictim

A word of warning to people about this, I was part of a forum when I lived in the UK. There was a meet up and a few of the people came with the intention of causing trouble because they did not agree with things myself and others said. It was very violent and police had to be called, I got punched in the knee and it is still very sore, this was over a year ago. So be very careful meeting up with strangers, maybe bring your mum or dad with you to feel safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

A word of warning to people about this, I was part of a forum when I lived in the UK. There was a meet up and a few of the people came with the intention of causing trouble because they did not agree with things myself and others said. It was very violent and police had to be called, I got punched in the knee and it is still very sore, this was over a year ago. So be very careful meeting up with strangers, maybe bring your mum or dad with you to feel safe.

I'm trying to contain my laughter here, people pucking the head of each other because of an internet forum :pac:

Punched in the knee, seriously? At least they weren't good fighters!

JohnCleary wrote: »
    I'm trying to contain my laughter here, people pucking the head of each other because of an internet forum :pac:

My story sounds so strange that many dont believe it. One of the aggrieved patrons of the fourms that turned up had a condition known as Disproportionate dwarfism and did not respond to some friendly banter that myself and others said about her, hence being punched in the knee. The banter was all in jest and had been said many months before the social event, however she came back for revenge with a couple of burly friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

My story sounds so strange that many dont believe it. One of the aggrieved patrons of the fourms that turned up had a condition known as Disproportionate dwarfism and did not respond to some friendly banter that myself and others said about her, hence being punched in the knee. The banter was all in jest and had been said many months before the social event, however she came back for revenge with a couple of burly friends.

Don't really blame her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Saturday 6th August
    So far nothing has happened during any of the meet-ups I've attended.

Thread stickied. Once we have a few suggestions I create a poll etc.

I'll be up for this. Fridays and Saturdays are best. Going to Bell X1 on the 16th.

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Don't really blame her.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Fingers crossed for an appearance by Knacker dwarf on the night.

In that case, may I suggest we meet in the middle of Eyre Square? We will ride into battle at dawn.

I'll be the one wearing knee-pads.

As said above, if KD arrives, we're fcuked

• Advertisement

In that case, may I suggest we meet in the middle of Eyre Square? We will ride into battle at dawn.

I'll be the one wearing knee-pads.

As said above, if KD arrives, we're fcuked

If he arrives, I suggest we wear cups, seeing as how most people's crotches would be at his head-height.

Most certainly up for this! Any time suits me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Saturday 23rd July
    Thursdays or Fridays suit me, I never get to go to these because they're usually on a Saturday and I work Saturday nights.

Hold on, when people say "I'm up for this", do they mean beers, or a battle in Eyre Square?

If the latter, then i'll get the knee-pads out :pac:

Either one will do me, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Saturday 23rd July
    Hold on, when people say "I'm up for this", do they mean beers, or a battle in Eyre Square?

If the latter, then i'll get the knee-pads out :pac:

We can have both, Battle of the beers, I can almost see the history being written!:pac:
    I'm at work until 11pm Friday night's (bar this Friday/next Friday) off Saturday night so that would suit me splendidly.
    Like the idea of O'Connell's, Would the Cellar be a bad choice? Also a fan of Freeney's myself, or the Blue Note..
    Hell, I'm pretty easy going.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I'll be working most Fridays - Mondays in the near future so more than likely wont be able to attend :/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

+1 for back of O'Connells, if only for the space and beechparty atmos.
    Anywhere that could hold a decent bunch of people (20+) would be grand.

I might actually make it down for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Ah hold on you got punched in the knee?

po0k you remember the beers when we started the Galway beers? Two certain members bashing each others knees for the night? Knee's bruised and battered they proceeded to punch walls. The marks were on the walls for years.

That was a good night in our eyes. So crashvictim I highly recommend you dont attend :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

kayos wrote: »
    So crashvictim I highly recommend you dont attend :P
    crashvictim is either not old enough to be in a pub on his/her own or is taking the piss completely...
    So be very careful meeting up with strangers, maybe bring your mum or dad with you to feel safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Friday 5th August
    Fridays or Saturdays are good for me! I'll be sharing a taxi with ya OP :pac::p

O'Connells is perfect for the beer garden out the back, loads of room.
    Aint been to the Blue Note in years so if it's there happy days!

Can't go the weekend of the 15th/16th July as I'm up in Dublin for another boards beers. Any other weekend or other pub and I'll be there :D

Though I really shouldn't have agreed to that bet of trying to go 40 days with no alcohol...gonna be sober for all these beers! >.<

• Advertisement

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Fridays or Saturdays are good for me! I'll be sharing a taxi with ya OP :pac::p
    :rolleyes: No recession 'round here, as they say... :D

Friday 5th August
    :rolleyes: No recession 'round here, as they say... :D

Oh had forgotten about the recession!:p
    If it's a good night we will walk in then so, I'll bring an umbrella just in case though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

Saturday 6th August
    id be up for it too most nites suit me iv a few pairs of kneepads too in case anyone needs a pair :P just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Saturday 6th August
    So far we have Salt House and O'Connell's.
    Anyone care to suggest dates?

biko wrote: »
    So far we have Salt House and O'Connell's.
    Anyone care to suggest dates?
    I was going to make some suggestions last night but I must have been distracted by something shiny.

Was going to say that people will probably want O'Connell's so we could just settle on that, but sure can be added to the poll I suppose, no harm.

I'd suggest two weeks time at the earliest, gives everyone a chance to vote, plus it's not too far away... and late next week we can close the poll so everyone knows well enough in advance what night it will be either way.

Friday 22nd July
    Saturday 23rd July
    Saturday 30th July (Race week)
    Friday 5th August
    Saturday 6th August

What do yee think? Would avoid race week myself and August is bloody ages away.

Friday 5th August
    Might be a silly question but ya know how accomodation places put up the prices of rooms a good bit and such....well do the bars put up the price of drink?

Can we please avoid race week like the plague?

Friday 5th August
    Yeah it's gonna be pretty damn busy with race week!

Just in case yous don't know After Hours are planning to finally have a beers outside of Dublin and it's gonna be in Galway :pac:
    So theres a slight chance that they could vote the same date as whatever is decided here. We may end up with a load of different Boardsies coming from all over the country :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    Yeah it's gonna be pretty damn busy with race week!

Just in case yous don't know After Hours are planning to finally have a beers outside of Dublin and it's gonna be in Galway :pac:
    So theres a slight chance that they could vote the same date as whatever is decided here. We may end up with a load of different Boardsies coming from all over the country :D

Nice one!! I'm totally going to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭karen89

ok i am new to all this - joined ages ago but just started looking at it in the last couple of weeks! so is this shin-ding open to anyone? as for the knee pads i think my hubby as a set or 2 so i should be ok - thats if its open to me :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement