Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tubridy drops hint about departure

• 04-07-2011 7:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭

It appears we may be losing our highest paid (and imho - the best) broadcaster to the BBC.

The 37 year old said he was a 'lucky man with a great job' but that anything is possible.

'I have another season of TLLS to finish out for 2012, so God knows after that. We will see where the world takes us'

So AHers, what is your favourite Tubs memory and can he be replaced?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

He's not going anywhere. He's got the cushiest job in the world with almost no chance of losing it as RTE are convinced he's a major talent and he wouldn't get anywhere near the kind of profile in any other market. Nor would he get such an inflated salary. No sir, we're gonna be stuck with him for a lonnnnnnng time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It appears we may be losing our highest paid (and imho - the best) broadcaster to the BBC.

The 37 year old said he was a 'lucky man with a great job' but that anything is possible.

'I have another season of TLLS to finish out for 2012, so God knows after that. We will see where the world takes us'

Yes, and for a fraction of the cost. I'll do it meself.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭JimiWonderDoor 92

He has said he may consider a paycut so maybe the inflated salary is not the only factor. He might just wanna conquer Britain a la Terry Wogan or Graham Norton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Can he be replaced? Sure he shouldn't have got the job in the first place, he is talentless.

Bosco would do a better job.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Can he be replaced? Sure he shouldn't have got the job in the first place, he is talentless.

Bosco would do a better job.

As that hot lady presnter would say to Bosco

'Get back in your fcuking box' :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Crrrrrriiiiiiinnnnnngggggge!
    ............................................________
    ....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
    .............................,.-”...................................“-.,
    .........................,/...............................................”:,
    .....................,?......................................................\,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:”........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
    ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
    ...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
    ................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
    ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

Hey Tubs never goes on about getting no love from the Boards community. I'm just redressing the balance in this discussion

And you watch out mr Pigeon.

Believe me there's a large shipment of dry rice coming your way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

message wrote: »
    hot lady? how hot??

How hot?

Well... ever wonder why Bosco was so eager to get a bit of me time in that Box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Used to listen to Tubbs on the way into work - when he was on early - and found him to be excellent, so when it was announced he was taking over TLLS I thought that it was a great appointment by RTE. God was I wrong, the man has zero interviewing skills, he has a complete inability to put an interviewee at ease, his questions are for the most part moronic, like the plank before him he is incapable of engaging with any surprises that that may arise... "I've killed a man Ryan" would probably be followed up with "This isn't your first time in Ireland?" He also lacks presence and his squirming usually makes me feel me awkward and uncomfortable for him. In short he's dreadful.

If RTE had any sense they'd be trying to get rid of him as quickly as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

Used to listen to Tubbs on the way into work - when he was on early - and found him to be excellent, so when it was announced he was taking over TLLS I thought that it was a great appointment by RTE. God was I wrong, the man has zero interviewing skills, he has a complete inability to put an interviewee at ease, his questions are for the most part moronic, like the plank before him he is incapable of engaging with any surprises that that may arise... "I've killed a man Ryan" would probably be followed up with "This isn't your first time in Ireland?" He also lacks presence and his squirming usually makes me feel me awkward and uncomfortable for him. In short he's dreadful.

+6 trillion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Let him off I say.why is it that rte have the ability to pick the most uptight humourless cringe-inducing presenters? Even pat kenny was better. Seriously let him go,who gives a ****.it can surely only get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I think he is absolutely dreadful. He is a cliche machine. I reckon he thinks he can be the new Wogan of British radio. Many have tried and failed. Wogan is a one off. So is Gaybo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

don't.

please don't tease me.

please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

The only way we'll get shut of Tubs is if he somehow makes a success of things in Britain. If he can land a cushy permanent radio slot, he could be raking in the dough. If not, he'll be back to Donnybrook again quicker than you can say "You have Irish blood in you, I hear!"

The man is a disaster. Didnt think the LLS could get any worse after Pat the Plank, but Tubridy has sunk to new depths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

When I first moved abroad, I used to watch the LLS, every week. It was a small reminder of home. I also knew I could discuss it on boards or with my parents if I was speaking to them on the phone. Then tubridy took over.

I liked him on the radio, he could be witty and quite funny for light stuff, and could engage with people. Unfortunately, it seems it is radio talent he has not television, because he is awful on the LLS. As the previous poster said, he seems to stick to the same questions everytime a la "This isnt your first time in Ireland, is it?", throwing in the odd curve ball here and then, like asking Brian Cowen if he drank too much. So after a few listless shows, I gave up watching the late late. I mentioned to my mother recently, that I had stopped watching it, and she said she hadn't seen it months, so it seems I am not the only one who gave up on it.

I liked Pat Kennt for serious things. Politics, and business, but he could be a bit cringe worthy with entertainment, celeb and gossip stuff, but Tubridy is so bad I stopped watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

He aint a natural people person or conversationalist. He has zero charisma. He is a bookish nerd best suited to scripted programming on radio. let him go. Bring back Gaybo, he's short of money after losing a lot in the crash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

An interviewer should put the audience and the interviewee at ease. Tubridy can't seem to do either, especially the former.

So many of Tubridy's questions seem to be based around Irish sentimentality and our great little nation bleh bleh with each guest expected to offer up their love for the country (cringe).

That's not done in the UK, so how Tubridy would fill that massive gap I've no idea.

He aint a natural people person or conversationalist. He has zero charisma. He is a bookish nerd best suited to scripted programming on radio. let him go. Bring back Gaybo, he's short of money after losing a lot in the crash.

I do actually think for what they pay tubridy, they could chopper in Gaybo from Howth fifteen minutes before the show, give him a 30 minute break in the middle of the show, and then chopper him home again at the end. Or film it over 4 30 minute segements during the week and broadcast it on a Friday evening. That way as Gay gets older it wont wear him out too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Even though he mighn't be great, he isn't that bad. He does the job, to an okay standard.

He is very much overpaid.

I usually watch Graham Norton, and that show is light years ahead of any "chat show" we have here. Norton is excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

That was obviously when he interviewed Matthew Broderick.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

One thing RTE do well is nepotism and mediocracy...growing up with such crap gives fuel to the thought that irish people have no talent , which is so far from the truth and as a nation we deserve better.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    That was obviously when he interviewed Matthew Broderick.

Shames its not on youtube. Sounds like it was so bad it would be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

Negotiation tactic.

Everyone move along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

My favourite memory of Tubridy is that time they dragged him into the middle of a field. He was crying, pleading for his life, and soiling himself repeatedly. Finally, out of disgust rather than a sense of national interest, Marty Whelan put the gun to Tubridy's head and pulled the trigger. It was a hell of a party throughout Ireland that night.

Wait a second...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

I'll pack his bags for him if he wants!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

drayme wrote: »
    Negotiation tactic.

Everyone move along.

You mean, we cannot replace Tubbs.. He is so unique, and without him, everyone will desert RTE's airwaves...?

He must be kept at all costs...... :rolleyes:

The drivel on Irish protestants last week shows the lack of breeding, hardwired bigotry, entitlement and arrogance one would expect from the blood-line of Todd Andrews...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It's as if they guy was born old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

It's as if they guy was born old.

And boring

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...So AHers, what is your favourite Tubs memory and can he be replaced?
    Him waving good-bye and yes, he can be replaced (hopefully sooner the better).
    He bores the crap out of me.
    Can't stand his advertising show every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I'd love nothing more than to see the back of Tubridy, but would he really be able to make it big at the BBC? He might get a little goodwill and the benefit of the novelty factor, but I can't see them tolerating him over there, though he might manage to survive if he kept strictly to the radio.

I've avoided watching him too much to have a particular memory of him, but I love even more than the many awkward moments, the many moments of thinly-concealed loathing, for him from guests and vice versa. I remember Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell on his old Saturday night show looked like they couldn't stand him, and of course there's the classic mutual hatred of the Juliette Binoche Late Late interview (which RTÉ seem to have erased from history).
    I love the many times when his lack of enthusiasm for a musical act who've just finished playing is completely obvious when he says things like "That was great fun, wasn't it!" or "Good work there!" with a complete lack of conviction.

I think he will suddenly find he is a small fish in a big pond!
    Where as here, he's treated as a big fish in a smaller pond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

That is what I would call - a nail on the head post! Well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

bastados wrote: »
    One thing RTE do well is nepotism and mediocracy...growing up with such crap gives fuel to the thought that irish people have no talent , which is so far from the truth and as a nation we deserve better.

I think Lottie Ryan will prove you wrong. Clearly one of the most talented women in the country, and that's the only reason she gets work in rte

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

syklops wrote: »
    Shames its not on youtube. Sounds like it was so bad it would be good.
    I heard he was tongue-tied that night...its called infatuation. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

No hint of a source on that one, or did you just make it all up...?

You raised our hopes and dashed them again quiet magnificently, Sir! Bravo!

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    No hint of a source on that one, or did you just make it all up...?

You raised our hopes and dashed them again quiet magnificently, Sir! Bravo!
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/tubridy-drops-hint-about-rte-departure-2811551.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The Republic needs to be cleansed of the FF "family" once and for all,this news if true would be a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Moved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I thought he was only going for the summer

personally I thought that his 1hr show in the morning was very good but he didn't transfer over to the longer show very well he needed to be able to do serious stuff as well and he can do it sometimes but other times he can really feck it up.
    The late late show was never very good unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I think Lottie Ryan will prove you wrong. Clearly one of the most talented women in the country, and that's the only reason she gets work in rte

Indeed, I believe there was an interviewing process and she beat out thousands upon thousands of other talented people that auditioned.

She's also quite the looker, a fine mane on her.

As for Tubridy, he's just manipulating things a bit.
    He says this so that RTE think they might lose him,
    therefore he either improves or doesn't have to take any more cuts in salary
    and then re-signs with RTE after BBC don't offer him anything and
    says that he was never going anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

I had the misfortune to listen to him on play back there one Sunday a few weeks ago. He had some one on the phone & she listed her problems, one after the other - it was shocking depressing. Then he played her a song, and then after it he had her on again, crying.

DE-PRESSING

It really was.

Tubridy has all the presence and charisma of a wet sponge. His a dreadful interviewer and is perhaps one of the smuggest, most full of themselves and downright irritating human on this planet. Watching him attempt an interview is akin to watching Tom Sizemore's sex tape, the longer it goes on the more cringe worthy and down right bizarre it becomes.

Compare any interview that Tubridy has ever done to the video below where a talk show host makes his guests feel at ease, cracks jokes and lets his guest have some fun. When is the last time a guest on the Late Late was at ease and able to relax and enjoy themselves?

Advertisement