Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quinn Wrap = Disaster

• 04-07-2011 9:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

I don't know how many people on here put 6 layers of wrap on bales. We put on 4 layers, unless the bales are very wet. We've never had a problem with bales. They always keep well.

Most of my neighbours are the same. The general consensus seems to be that if you handle bales with 4 layers carefully, it is perfect for them.

Yesterday I was wrapping for a neighbour. He had just over 40 bales. It was about 22 degrees (Quite hot for this part of the country). Anyway, he had left me 2 rolls of quinn wrap and I started wrapping in the first line of bales that he had made for me. Got through the first 20 bales and turned the tractor and wrapper to start at the second row and noticed that the first few bales were all holed and showing the grass inside them - big, long, thin openings had formed on them. I pushed them out in front of the wrapper again and gave them another half wrap. But by the time I was finished the first 4, the 16 that I had done previously had all opened up and I had to start and rewrap them again. I could tell that the wrap was pure crap by the amount of times the wrap had broken on the "cut and tie" and I had to get down to reattach it. Ended up putting 6 layers of wrap on all the bales after that - however, I was talking to the neighbour this morning who said that there were still several bales which developed holes. He is going to talk to the guy that he bough the wrap off this morning as he is not too happy.

Its just a warning for anyone who thinks that they got good value quinn wrap.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

reilig wrote: »
    I could tell that the wrap was pure crap by the amount of times the wrap had broken on the "cut and tie" and I had to get down to reattach it.

Nothing more annoying than this. Up and down out f the cab like a yo-yo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

Have that T shirt too:mad: Cheap and value, not the same thing. That wrap has an awful reputation, even on here I read it more than once to stay away from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

we have been using quinn wrap for the last 2 years and i can tell ya we never had a problem with it and we just use 4 layers and stack bales 2 high and we had silage from the year before and when it was opened this year it was still perfect............at 65euro a roll it works for us and is some value.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 CCM

Same as that polod, a lot of people around me using it too with no complaints, made a lot of enquiries myself before I took the chance on it. Did half and half with silawrap last year and noticed litte if any difference in silage quality. To be honest though was a little worried over the tackiness last year as it is much quieter comming of the roll but as I said the proof of the pudding is in the eating and there was no noticeable difference in what was pushed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

I don't know how many people on here put 6 layers of wrap on bales. We put on 4 layers, unless the bales are very wet. We've never had a problem with bales. They always keep well.

Most of my neighbours are the same. The general consensus seems to be that if you handle bales with 4 layers carefully, it is perfect for them.

Yesterday I was wrapping for a neighbour. He had just over 40 bales. It was about 22 degrees (Quite hot for this part of the country). Anyway, he had left me 2 rolls of quinn wrap and I started wrapping in the first line of bales that he had made for me. Got through the first 20 bales and turned the tractor and wrapper to start at the second row and noticed that the first few bales were all holed and showing the grass inside them - big, long, thin openings had formed on them. I pushed them out in front of the wrapper again and gave them another half wrap. But by the time I was finished the first 4, the 16 that I had done previously had all opened up and I had to start and rewrap them again. I could tell that the wrap was pure crap by the amount of times the wrap had broken on the "cut and tie" and I had to get down to reattach it. Ended up putting 6 layers of wrap on all the bales after that - however, I was talking to the neighbour this morning who said that there were still several bales which developed holes. He is going to talk to the guy that he bough the wrap off this morning as he is not too happy.

Its just a warning for anyone who thinks that they got good value quinn wrap.

does wrap go off i wonder?, might have just been a bad batch or something

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Whats the microns on the quinn wrap compared to its competition?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

does wrap go off i wonder?, might have just been a bad batch or something

I've never used quinnwrap, but could it be old stuff from last year or did the rolls get wet?

I used 6 layers on v strong grass with docks in it last august, can't remember what brand it was though.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭barryoc1

I was using this wrap on the back of a Fusion baler on saturday. The weather was melting hot. I remember reading on here before bout the stuff being poor. When i saw the boxes i thought, oh no, prob be in and out tying the stuff every few bales. Thankfully no problems with the 118 i wrapped with it. Only issue i had was havin to get out and put on new rolls every 60 bales :D. Bales looked fine after wrapping too. I have had major problems with the Volac stuff that wraps all the extra bales. Stuff is so thin it keeps tearing. Nothing worse being in and out to tie plastic back on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

i hate getting the bales wrapped when its too hot, i find the plastic gets very brittle when stacking bales. damaged a good few yesterday, was climbing the stack with bale tape a lot! had no problems friday, didnt finish stacking until 2am, ideal time to wrap, no birds, and cool :D we use silawrap for years, the blue-green stuff they had a few years ago was crap! black stuff is great i find. we supply the plastic to the contractor, but he has a few "reserve" rolls on the wrapper in case he runs out....which is quinn wrap. how much cheaper is it? not a thing I would be willing to spare expence on with the cost of silage in the winter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Another neighbour had serious problems with quinn wrap today. Several bales split - and its not too hot. A full pallet minus 1 roll is on its way back to the supplier as we speak. Its not too hot here today, so I don't think it can be the heat. Today's neighbour even put 6 layers on his bales and some of them split. I wonder if you would have any comeback against the manufacturer if a majority of your bales rotted??

The wrap in both instances (last night and today) was manufactured in February 2011 - its printed on the inside of the cardboard roll. However today's came from a different dealer who has leavy paid on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

Another neighbour had serious problems with quinn wrap today. Several bales split - and its not too hot. A full pallet minus 1 roll is on its way back to the supplier as we speak. Its not too hot here today, so I don't think it can be the heat. Today's neighbour even put 6 layers on his bales and some of them split. I wonder if you would have any comeback against the manufacturer if a majority of your bales rotted??

The wrap in both instances (last night and today) was manufactured in February 2011 - its printed on the inside of the cardboard roll. However today's came from a different dealer who has leavy paid on it.

thats unreal........where did ya buy the wrap? ..........ive heard about northern fella's selling quinn wrap from vans in the mid-lands cheap....could be dodgy stuff from them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

seems everything and anything connected with the mighty Quinn Group, is not to be touched with a forty foot pole. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Reilig,what wrapped them?Too much tension in the plastic going on the bale is a diaster.I'd be investigating the bearings on the feed rollers for freeness before blaming the plastic.They are not greaseable bearings on the mchale and really need to be stripped and oiled.Just my 2cents worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Reilig,what wrapped them?Too much tension in the plastic going on the bale is a diaster.I'd be investigating the bearings on the feed rollers for freeness before blaming the plastic.They are not greaseable bearings on the mchale and really need to be stripped and oiled.Just my 2cents worth.

my young lad started with one of the mc hales and used to carry to carry petrol to clean the rollers

he is now following the fusion and had no problem putting on the quinn plastic but says volac is a pita

co op source is his favourite

The ones that i wrapped were with a connor wrapper. The feed rollers are working perfectly. They are greased every 200 bales and cleaned down with petrol or white spirit regularly. The wrapper has no problem handling any other brand of wrap.

The neighbour has an archway wrapper. It too has no problem with any other brand.

The neighbour brought his pallet of wrap back yesterday evening and got a pallet of Visqueen. The hardware that he bought it in told him that he is not selling Quinn wrap anymore as he has had too many returns. He said that some of the rolls of wrap are fine, but there can be several rolls in each pallet that will split. I thought there would be some type of quality control to ensure consistency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

The ones that i wrapped were with a connor wrapper. The feed rollers are working perfectly. They are greased every 200 bales and cleaned down with petrol or white spirit regularly. The wrapper has no problem handling any other brand of wrap.

The neighbour has an archway wrapper. It too has no problem with any other brand.

The neighbour brought his pallet of wrap back yesterday evening and got a pallet of Visqueen. The hardware that he bought it in told him that he is not selling Quinn wrap anymore as he has had too many returns. He said that some of the rolls of wrap are fine, but there can be several rolls in each pallet that will split. I thought there would be some type of quality control to ensure consistency.

at least the store looked after him and replaced the stuff, jeez things are bad enough for quinn group without producing bad quality products

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Rollant46

polod wrote: »
    thats unreal........where did ya buy the wrap? ..........ive heard about northern fella's selling quinn wrap from vans in the mid-lands cheap....could be dodgy stuff from them

hear its only 24kg a roll instead of 25kg!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

I have used quinn wrap for the last two years about 1500 bales
    no problems 4 layers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Does sound like a Quality Control issue alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Is the wrap Quinn wrap? It could be fake, or counterfeit. Ive seen suppliers from china on alibaba.com who can supply whatever brand of plastic you want IYKWIM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

I could be worng but if people are getting it out of the back of a van for EUR65, there is a good chance that they might be buying seconds that were failed for quality control.

I would get the batch number and ring Quinns to see if it is a genuine number and if it was for general sale. If so, I think you would have good grounds for complaint if the plastic being sold is not fit for purpose (preserving the silage).

TUBBY wrote: »
    I could be worng but if people are getting it out of the back of a van for EUR65, there is a good chance that they might be buying seconds that were failed for quality control.

I would get the batch number and ring Quinns to see if it is a genuine number and if it was for general sale. If so, I think you would have good grounds for complaint if the plastic being sold is not fit for purpose (preserving the silage).

Lads, the wrap was bought from genuine suppliers who purchased direct from Quinn. I've never had anyone try to sell me wrap from the back of a van.

I was talking to a friend in Galway. He says that contractors around them are advising people not to buy quinn wrap for their bales. Several have had issues with wrap breaking on the cut and tie system, having to get up and down off teh tractor for every bale that they are wrapping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

I wasnt referring to you Reilig specifically there as an earlier post mentioned the fellas selling them cheap.

I had same problem myself last year. After bringing in the bales, there was a small long tear in the plastic about two foot long on a few of them. It was nowhere near where the bale lifter had worked.

I put it down to the bales sagging a bit and that there was very little play in the Quinn plastic.

Anyway, didnt go near it since. Found it was brittle.

Advertisement