Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to get to Barrow Street from the Midlands ?

Options
  • 04-07-2011 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi everyone,

I am living in the Midlands (Athlone, WH) and next week I am to take a test at the Prometric test center in Barrow Street Dublin.

What would be the best way to get there ? My main options are :
    1) going by train (Heuston) and commuting to Barrow St
    2) going by car, parking somewhere and commuting to Barrow St

If going by train my main concern is that the DART journey planner tells me it is a 1 hour journey from Heuston to Barrow Street (going to Connolly station by bus and then to Grand Canal Dock station by DART). Is there a better way ?

If going by car my main concern is: where to park ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a mill
    fti

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

From Heuston to Barrow Street:

LUAS to Abbey Street stop takes about 10-12 minutes, and then walk to Tara Street Station (7-8 minutes) and then DART to Grand Canal Dock about 4 minutes.

Allow about 20 minutes waiting time - that's about 45 minutes max.

It is shorter to get off at Abbey Street and walk to Tara Street than to go via Connolly.

Alternatively take the 145 bus from Heuston to Nassau Street and then either walk or take the 4, 7, 8 or 47 buses to the far end of Lower Mount Street. Journey time on that should be 30 minutes (with no waits).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Depending on when you have to be there driving may be the best possible way.

Lots of parking within a 10 minute walk of Barrow Street.

Heuston to Barrow St by LUAS & DART would be around 45 minutes when no waiting time.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 fti

Thanks to lxflyer and Bluetonic for their replies.
    Bluetonic wrote: »
    Depending on when you have to be there driving may be the best possible way.

I have to be there around 10:45 AM on Tuesday. If by car which car park would me the most appropriate ?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

fti wrote: »
    Thanks to lxflyer and Bluetonic for their replies.

I have to be there around 10:45 AM on Tuesday. If by car which car park would me the most appropriate ?

Thanks

There's on-street pay and display all along Barrow St and the adjoining areas, you should be able to find a spot no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 fti

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    There's on-street pay and display all along Barrow St and the adjoining areas, you should be able to find a spot no problem.

The exam is supposed to last over 5 hours. I guess I will need to park for approx 5 or 6 hours. Is it possible to pay for such a long stay using pay&display ?

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

if it's long stay, leave the car out in the red cow park and ride.. it's only €2 for 4 hours or €4 for 24hr parking there. if you try and get there for 9/9.30am you'll have plenty of time to commute from there... the luas goes from there straight into Connolly, takes no more than 30mins to get in there.. and the dart shouldn't take very long at all from there

Advertisement