Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Peer Reviewed Palaeontology Papers

• 04-07-2011 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

My midlife crisis is finally upon me...

So it's down to a choice between a sports car and a hinge-wig (toupee), or a certificate/diploma/degree in palaeontology. - Either are just as expensive, but at least the latter won't come with a divorce settlement.

So, decision made, I'm looking for a decent text/reference work on the subject. Something sufficently advanced that it challenges me. I really hate being treated like a muppet, and don't mind having to look up half the stuff I'm reading. I do like a good challenge.

I suppose I'd like to get my teeth into the subject before deciding to take the plunge back into higher education.

It's cheeper too. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

My advice would be get your hands on as many peer reviewed papers as possible. Many are available for free online as downloads on Adobe Acrobat reader. Print them off. Keep them. Read them and try to follow up on their reference material.
    Best of luck!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

Galvasean wrote: »
    My advice would be get your hands on as many peer reviewed papers as possible. Many are available for free online as downloads on Adobe Acrobat reader. Print them off. Keep them. Read them and try to follow up on their reference material.
    Best of luck!!!!

The problem is finding them...

PSL One publish a lot of stuff for free, but I'm sure you know all about them already.
    http://www.plosone.org/home.action

Thanks. I didn't.

• Advertisement

The controversial (and mostly debunked) 'Amphicoelias brontodiplodocus' paper:
    http://www.dinosauriainternational.com/downloads/Amphicoelias.pdf

PS: I'm thinking this would be a great thread to catalog peer reviewed papers - an excellent resource. I may sticky the thread if people are interested.

Recent paper on the super-sized Ekrixinatosaurus.

http://www.notosoft.com.ar/pdfs/Juarez_Porfiri_Calvo.pdf

Stickey it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

I have a few papers sent to me by a good friend (paleontologist) and I guess there's no use to having them if you can´t share them. In case anyone's interested I can send them by e-mail...

The ones I have are the original paper on Labocania (large, mysterious theropod found in Mexico), the original paper on Megawhaitsia (large, seemingly venomous therapsid), Cristiano dal Sasso's paper on Spinosaurus size and skull, the original paper on Kol ghuva, the "giant alvarezsaur" from Mongolia, the original description of the humongous Mexican hadrosaur Lambeosaurus laticaudus, a paper on saber-toothed cat paw prints from Mexico, and a couple papers on giant porcupines and carnivorous armadillos from South America.

Would have more of these if I wasn´t so lazy when it comes to technical papers :D

I'd be very interested as I am planning on collecting peer reviewed palaeontology papers (closest thing to being a palaeontologist without being one!).
    Are you allowed distribute them Adam?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I think you will need to be careful on copyright if you do a lot of paper sticking.

If someone takes offence it could open a barrel of worms for you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Galvasean wrote: »
    I'd be very interested as I am planning on collecting peer reviewed palaeontology papers (closest thing to being a palaeontologist without being one!).
    Are you allowed distribute them Adam?

Well I don´t think there should be any trouble...

Ooooohh put me down for some too!!!

Rubecula wrote: »
    I think you will need to be careful on copyright if you do a lot of paper sticking.

If someone takes offence it could open a barrel of worms for you.

As long as you stick to fair usage or open documents it should be fine.

Thread stickified ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 A brick

I don't suppose you could throw a few of those my way?

A brick wrote: »
    I don't suppose you could throw a few of those my way?

You can click the links dude. They're free, not to mention legit too! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Guyett

Use google scholar for finding good papers

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Pat_Planky

Going back to the original question.
    Invertebrate Palaeontology & Evolution
    Euan Clarkson (Author), N.K. Clarkson Euan (Author)
    Is well worth a read.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,986 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Late Pleistocene European predators. Good read:

Diedrich, C.G. (2014), Palaeopopulations of Late Pleistocene Top Predators in Europe: Ice Age Spotted Hyenas and Steppe Lions in Battle and Competition about Prey. Paleontology Journal.

Advertisement