Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Do you Think Should be Read First The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings

Options
  • 04-07-2011 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Just Wondering If you Read The Hobbit First or after you read the Lord of the Rings books.

Also which would you have liked to have read first and which do you recommend reading first.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Read LOTR first (which quickly became one of my favorite books) then 20 year gap before reading The Hobbit.
    Was put off by the fact that it was a ‘Children’s Story’ – when I did get around to reading it I thought it was much better than I had expected it to be. It was quite a bit darker than I had imagined and it was interesting to see the earlier appearances of some of the characters who became so prominent in the later LOTR’s.
    I have kids now and when they’re a bit older I think I’ll start them on The Hobbit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Emiko

The Hobbit is first, chronologically, so it seems the logical place to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭cml387

Emiko wrote: »
    The Hobbit is first, chronologically, so it seems the logical place to start.

Chronologically both in the plotting and in real life,since Tolkien wrote "The Hobbit" first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Defo The Hobbit first, very excited for you if it's your first time reading them! It's a big read but it's amazing, hope you love it!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

The Hobbit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I'll be going a bit against the grain here.

I tried to read The Hobbit as a child but didn't get beyond the first few pages and gave up on all Tolkein until the films came out. After seeing the first film, I read LotR and absolutely loved it. I then went back to The Hobbit and though I managed to finish it this time, I thought it was very childish - much more so than, say, the Narnia books, or Harry Potter, and I really didn't like it much at all.

So my adivice is read LotR, if you get hooked, read The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales or anything else related. Read The Hobbit eventually but have low expectations.

I'll probably get slated for this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭cml387

quickbeam wrote: »
    I'll be going a bit against the grain here.

I tried to read The Hobbit as a child but didn't get beyond the first few pages and gave up on all Tolkein until the films came out. After seeing the first film, I read LotR and absolutely loved it. I then went back to The Hobbit and though I managed to finish it this time, I thought it was very childish - much more so than, say, the Narnia books, or Harry Potter, and I really didn't like it much at all.

So my adivice is read LotR, if you get hooked, read The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales or anything else related. Read The Hobbit eventually but have low expectations.

I'll probably get slated for this though.

You prefer the Selamillion (knock off cash-in) to The Hobbit?

Unless you really, really, really love the whole Middle Earth lark do not read the Silmarillion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Unless you really, really, really love the whole Middle Earth lark do not read the Silmarillion

The Ainulindalë and the stories of Beren and Lúthien and Túrin Turambar are wonderful, though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

cml387 wrote: »

Yes. Yes, I do.

Just because it was published posthumously doesn't mean it's a cash-in. This was the story JRRT really wanted to write, except his publisher wanted more hobbits after the success of The Hobbit. Fair enough if you disagree, but of all the JRRT I've read I've liked The Hobbit least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Lady von Purple

cml387 wrote: »
    Funnily enough, Adam Roberts wrote a piss-take novel of The Silmarillion called The Sellamillion.
    I wouldn't go near that, as I found the Lord of the Rings trilogy a bit tedious to get through to begin with. That was a good few years ago though, they might be easier now... I really enjoyed the plot too, it just seemed to drag on in places and be a bit overly descriptive.
    I love The Hobbit. Definitely read The Hobbit and then Lord of the Rings.
    Chronologically makes sense, y'know! :cool:

The Ainulindalë and the stories of Beren and Lúthien and Túrin Turambar are wonderful, though.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed The Silmarillion too. Something almost musical to the whole language of it. You would have to like LOTR though (I think) to enjoy it. Just my opinion though, maybe others would like it as a stand alone book.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I bought the LOTR books a while back. After seeing a lot of people saying to read 'The Hobbit' first I ordered it there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭littlemis

I would recommend you read The Hobbit first. very good read too.:)

Advertisement