Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a new router/gateway/modem?

• 04-07-2011 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭

I'm currently using the (POS) Huawei gateway from Vodafone. Among other things, its internal DNS server is prone to falling over, so I've used a workaround to force it to always use OpenDNS.

But I think I might want to just replace the whole unit with something more flexible and reliable.

Can someone recommend a unit (perhaps DDWRT compatible?) that has:

* ADSL modem (for Vodafone)
    * DynamicDNS capability (would be nice to be able to remote in to my machine/network remotely for certain things)
    * VPN support (would like to get a StrongVPN account for access to UK and US content)
    * Wireless AP (preferably 802.11n)

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

I`m looking for a good router as well, I`ve a Voyager 2110 for a few years and I think she`s about to go, I just lose connection on laptop`s and only solution is to reboot, very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

DON'T buy an Intellinet modem/router (300N ASDL2+ model).

I made the mistake of picking one up a few months ago and it has been a nightmare. The first one just died. The power lights would come on, but there was no connectivity even though the lights were all flashing.

The shop replaced it and the new one hasn't had THAT problem yet, but it loses the DNS table for the wifi every day or so and I have to manually reboot it else I can't connect to any of my wireless devices.

It also for some reason stops port forwarding on a regular basis and I can't RDP back into my systems here and again have to plug it out and plug it back in for it to start working.

So what are good models to look out for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

funnyname wrote: »

Just read a few reviews on it and here`s a little snippit from one... "I am writing this review as I have noticed some poor ratings for this router. This is down to many people not reading or understanding the description of the router. The router states DSL/cable router, not ADSL cable router. This means that it does not include a modem built in. This is where people have been going wrong."

My current router has ADSL, I don`t know much about routers, but should I look for this in the new one?
    I`m with Vodafone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

That WRT54GL is what I use, though, as said, it has no ADSL modem.

Well, you can either buy an ADSL modem/router, or else use a seperate modem and router combo.

I have bridged a (rubbish) ZyXEL modem to the Linksys router.

I had flashed X-WRT on the Linksys, and it's very stable. On the downside, there are many, many configurable options in there, probably not as polished and user friendly as stuff like DD-WRT or Tomato perhaps. Just damn stable!

If you can get a decent DSL modem/router, it'd be the handiest route instead of having seperate devices flashing and the added wires to go with it.

I prefer the type of router I have at the moment, ADSL modem/router, less boxs I have there the less the wife will have to worry about knocking over, lol.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

A suggestion for you:

http://netgear.co.uk/home/products/wirelessrouters/work-and-play/DGNB2100.aspx

Friend of mine has this and has had no problems.

Advertisement