Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Orwell Randonee 2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Ghosty669

thereturn wrote: »
    Is the wall the tough bit after about 30km?

It is indeed.

smacl wrote: »
    No sure how much a part the weather plays in that particular nightmare; it's not exactly dreamy on a sunny day either. Did it from Onagh bridge a few months back and reckon I coughed up both lungs and part of my stomach by the time I hit the old long hill.

Nice route by the way, a few sneaky little ramps thrown in. All you need to do is throw in the Devil's Elbow on the way back from Enniskerry to make it positively evil :)

Something to think about for next year perhaps!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mention of Ballinagee Hill reminds me of that classic thread from years ago when your man with the triple challenged anyone with a double to beat him up that hill. He reckoned he'd win because he had a triple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Ghosty669 wrote: »
    No problem folks with the transfer. Drop me a PM and I'll update the entry list.
    Thanks, I've PM'd yourself and AstraMonti.
    BTW: if the weather is wet on Sunday, we'll reroute the cycle and take out the wall as it'd be a nightmare getting up there.
    Aaach no! Leave it in for the craic, it'll make for better post-event reports on the forum. It's not as if there are going to be any high speed crashes heading up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Just signed up for this, the notoriously unfriendly Orwell Wheelers better rustle up some good weather :p

Inquitus wrote: »
    Just signed up for this, the notoriously unfriendly Orwell Wheelers better rustle up some good weather :p

Best I can promise you is a burger and can of coke once you finish!

PS: I'll try to make sure that we're not all grumpy on the morning and wave to as many people as possible. Some people are sensitive about these things you know ... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

been humming and hawing about this for a while but a dodgy knee in the last week has finally ruled me out...:( But at least it let's me off the hook to go on the piss the night before :)

for those doing it be really careful along this stretch: http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=R115&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&sll=53.182276,-6.219635&sspn=0.031479,0.258522&geocode=FVCxKwMdBvOf_w%3BFStkKwMdApWg_w&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=13&z=13 from Glencree down towards Crone Wood
    the council have recently "fixed" the road by lashing loads of gravel down making it dangerous and terrifying to cycle down (I did that bit last weekend and it scared the ****e outa me on every bend, bike skating was all over the place)

been humming and hawing about this for a while but a dodgy knee in the last week has finally ruled me out...:( But at least it let's me off the hook to go on the piss the night before :)

for those doing it be really careful along this stretch: http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=R115&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&sll=53.182276,-6.219635&sspn=0.031479,0.258522&geocode=FVCxKwMdBvOf_w%3BFStkKwMdApWg_w&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=13&z=13 from Glencree down towards Crone Wood
    the council have recently "fixed" the road by lashing loads of gravel down making it dangerous and terrifying to cycle down (I did that bit last weekend and it scared the ****e outa me on every bend, bike skating was all over the place)

Sorry you won't be able to make it but thanks for the heads up.

We plan on having several people around this area to ensure that cyclists are aware of the conditions. We're also planning on heading up on Saturday and sweeping some sections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

el tonto wrote: »
    Mention of Ballinagee Hill reminds me of that classic thread from years ago when your man with the triple challenged anyone with a double to beat him up that hill. He reckoned he'd win because he had a triple.

You mean this one?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You mean this one?

That's the one. I think none of knew each other in real life back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

el tonto wrote: »
    That's the one. I think none of knew each other in real life back then.

Certainly not well anyway! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭alan2348

looking forword to this one. never did it before, what's the wall like?

alan2348 wrote: »
    what's the wall like?

Steep but very short.

alan2348 wrote: »
    looking forword to this one. never did it before, what's the wall like?

Bit of a bastard to be honest! Think there's a few photos of it from last year : http://www.flickr.com/photos/johntw/sets/72157624619557015/

Bit of a bastard to be honest! Think there's a few photos of it from last year : http://www.flickr.com/photos/johntw/sets/72157624619557015/

How long is this "wall"? and whats the avg Grade ta? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Inquitus wrote:
    How long is this "wall"? and whats the avg Grade ta?

A ride that I uploaded to ridewithgps.com shows it as 600m, max gradient as 17.6%, average gradient as 6% - that is averaged across climbing and descending that stretch of road though, so the average for once up/down it is presumably 12% (although my reasoning for doubling the figure could be completely out here, I just can't do maths today!). I'm not entirely convinced of the accuracy of the figures that ridewithgps produces though so the real figures may vary from that a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Gasco looked at it and told me it's 20% in places. Similar to the start of the Woodstock Climb on the Tour de Kilkenny - would I be right in thinking this?

Presume it will be lined with riders in Orwell Kit, who will rudely ignore me, unless I dismount, in which case they'll point and do that screamy thing from Invasion of the Body Snatchers?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

How long is this "wall"? and whats the avg Grade ta? :)

Here ya go

169518.jpg

Average grade of ~11%, scaling OSi contours suggests about 100m of it is at ~20%, which is about as steep as roads get in this country. From experience, I'd say make sure you are in a low gear turning the corner and spin up in that gear, very doable but a bit of the shock first time doing it, and over before the panic has a chance to set in. On the plus side, it makes the old long hill feel pretty flat afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Ghosty669, For your info I went up The Wall early this morning just after all the rain and the tyres were slipping on the greasy surface. Might be worth a look if there's too much more rain.

Also, when does online registration close? I'm on antibiotics for a bad dose of sinusitus and struggled this morning so don't know how I'll be fixed for sunday yet

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Ghosty669, For your info I went up The Wall early this morning just after all the rain and the tyres were slipping on the greasy surface. Might be worth a look if there's too much more rain.

Also, when does online registration close? I'm on antibiotics for a bad dose of sinusitus and struggled this morning so don't know how I'll be fixed for sunday yet

Thanks for that. I think I mentioned earlier that we may have to skip the wall if the weather isn't great but we'll make the call on the morning.

Regarding online registration, it closes tomorrow AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Leave the wall in..... makes for good photos....Bring it on....:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 robr32

is there any comparing the hill to the right of howth church (i think it is called haggard) with the wall. Does anyone know what the haggard max grade is?

Not been to wicklow before and trying to work out if my re-occuring dream of walking 70km could come to life :o.

Rob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭FuzzyDunlop100

robr32 wrote: »
    is there any comparing the hill to the right of howth church (i think it is called haggard) with the wall. Does anyone know what the haggard max grade is?

Not been to wicklow before and trying to work out if my re-occuring dream of walking 70km could come to life :o.

Rob.

Excellent question, I was about to ask the same myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

robr32 wrote: »

Rob.

Excellent question, I was about to ask the same myself!

I thInk it might be a mistake to get stressed about one hill on this route. You'll have a LOT more climbing to contend with. Just embrace the pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

daragh_ wrote: »
    I thInk it might be a mistake to get stressed about one hill on this route. You'll have a LOT more climbing to contend with. Just embrace the pain.

Agreed. It is tough but it's short. If you get off and walk a few metres so be it, plenty did just that last year. It really is only a small part of the overall spin, which is great route.

Hint: If you do get off make sure to be back on before the final bend. You'll know it's it when you see the house appear on the right. ((whisper) the photographers will be around this bend!)

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Agreed. It is tough but it's short. If you get off and walk a few metres so be it, plenty did just that last year. It really is only a small part of the overall spin, which is great route.

Hint: If you do get off make sure to be back on before the final bend. You'll know it's it when you see the house appear on the right. ((whisper) the photographers will be around this bend!)

Don't worry: we'll photoshop in the pics for the right price!

jimm wrote: »
    Hi Ghosty669

Hoping to do this on Sun. next.

One quick question.

Is a vets (IVCA) licence acceptable instead of a CI licence? As a member of the IVCA I have insurance cover with it.

Hey Jimm. Just got word that you're fine with the vets licence so no need to get a one day CI licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Hey Jimm. Just got word that you're fine with the vets licence so no need to get a one day CI licence.

Thanks for that. Registered last night, so fingers crossed the rain stays away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

looking 5day meet forecast for rain, looking better pretty clear for early sunday at moment, did have light rain yesterday

Met.ie has it as overcast/light showers, 17k winds, 16C. So positively balmy after the WW200. I reckon short sleeves, shorts, gilet and waterproof socks to start out, with jacket and arm/leg warmers stowed for later. I actually don't mind a bit of summer rain when climbing, far better than a howling gale.

• Advertisement

Met.ie has it as overcast/light showers, 17k winds, 16C. So positively balmy after the WW200. I reckon short sleeves, shorts, gilet and waterproof socks to start out, with jacket and arm/leg warmers stowed for later. I actually don't mind a bit of summer rain when climbing, far better than a howling gale.

Trekking to the North Pole would be positively balmy after the WW200 :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Trekking to the North Pole would be positively balmy after the WW200 :p

ah it was grand
    /tries to keep a straight face

/fails utterly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I'm still undecided as to whether to take part in this event or not.

Somebody please give me the kick I need to sign up.

Thanks!

check_six wrote: »

Thanks!

I can offer burger, chips, coke and a post cycle massage (not by me) should you decide to enter and finish.

check_six wrote: »

Thanks!

Just think how annoyed you'll be on Monday if you don't take part, when you read here how great it was, the fabulous sunshine, the hordes of beautiful babes cheering everyone on, the fact that the wall turned out to be no more than minor speed bump, and the all night party that ensued afterwards :)

Just think how annoyed you'll be on Monday if you don't take part, when you read here how great it was, the fabulous sunshine, the hordes of beautiful babes cheering everyone on, the fact that the wall turned out to be no more than minor speed bump, and the all night party that ensued afterwards :)

Bloody hell, with that description, I'm tempted to give it a go myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

oh wow why did I think this was next weekend? its this sunday? cool i'll be doing this so. great day out last year, probably my favorite of the sportifs I did last summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

My rubber arm has been twisted!

I'm signed up!

Hills? Can you hear me? I will defeat you (by slowly rolling up over you) ! <shakes fist out window>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Bah, my plans to do this have been scuppered by a dose of gastroenteritis overnight (gastroexititis more like!). I seemed to be re-enacting one of the messier scenes from The Exorcist all night long. I guess the loss of 2kg in weight might be seen as beneficial in the lead up to a hilly ride, but I'm sure there are more pleasant and less draining ways of achieving this.

Good luck to everyone taking part, and to the organisers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭g0g

Any reckonings on weather for the morning? Not sure if I'm ready for another W200 experience! :o Had a look on the weather forum and it didn't look great, but nor did it look absolutely terrible! Have been looking forward to the spin so fingers crossed it's not the end of the world when I look out the window in the morning. Seems like a fair few boardsies planning on doing it so probably bump into a few of you along the way.

g0g wrote: »
    Any reckonings on weather for the morning? Not sure if I'm ready for another W200 experience! :o Had a look on the weather forum and it didn't look great, but nor did it look absolutely terrible! Have been looking forward to the spin so fingers crossed it's not the end of the world when I look out the window in the morning. Seems like a fair few boardsies planning on doing it so probably bump into a few of you along the way.

The ambient temp is much higher than the WW200, I went out to Ballinastoe on my MTB this morning and got caught in a biblical deluge, whilst I was very wet, I wasn't really cold. Take 2 HTFU pills in the morning if the sky looks grey and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

I think the worst of the weather will have passed through this evening, tomorrow is looking a lot better. I use windguru, usually very reliable and it looks like at worst we'll have few showers in the late afternoon, hopefully we're home by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

rule: when suckign the wheel of another boardsie encourage him and wave him on when he asks you to come thru like a good Tommy V

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Roundwood/hour_by_hour.html - looks like it'll be a day for the mudguards! Ah well, the BBQ will make it all worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

mfdc wrote: »
    looks like it'll be a day for the mudguards
    Dammit - mudguards it is so.

• Advertisement

Brilliant event, incredibly well run, even the weather turned out nice....too hot climbing Shay Elliot!

Cake, Jaffa Cakes, Coke - what more could you wish for?

Would recommend this highly to anyone for next year. WIll post a full account in my blog later.

Biggest boardsie turnout I have seen at least 10 jerseys in evidence. I met Jim, Darragh?, GoG, manafana, Jimm, Geoff (not sure of his boards moniker) and probably a few others too that i have forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Well after feeling great on last weekends Tour of Kilkenny,today was a polar opposite. From the climb out of Enniskerry I knew things weren't right. By the time I got to Glencree I seriously wanted to turn right and head home,but decided to push on to Sally Gap.
    Started the decent towards Powerscourt only to come across velo.2010 at the side of the road after having a spill. Stopped there for a while and when I got going again I'd say I was near to bringing up the rear of the field.
    Stopped again on the climb up from Powerscourt were a rider had his chain rightly jammed between the front chain rings,a bit of faffing about and I was off again. I was well pleased to have the triple while going up the wall and old long hill. Ate some food and some gels but still felt crap and struggled with cramp on the way to the food stop.
    Called it a day at Sally Gap and headed back home.:mad:

@velo.2010 I hope you got home OK and that the cut was the worst of your injuries. Off all people you didn't need that to happen today. Just hope you don't let it set you back and that you get back to enjoying getting out on your bike.;)

Thanks to the club for a good,if somewhat short,day out. Great marshalling and it's always great to have people cheering you on as you reach the summit of a climb. Hope ye all enjoyed the BBQ.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭buffalo

Great day out again - I'll post a report later, but one thing I have to mention right away is keep_her_lit doing the event on his hybrid. And getting back to Sandyford in the first five. Chapeau sir!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

Just home - fantastic day, brilliant marshalling and a phenomenal foodstop make it probably the best event I've done. Massive thanks to Orwell for putting on such a great event!! Weather held up too despite the forecast, made me feel an idiot on my commuter w/ coat and waterproof socks :D

I had a bit of a shocker though tbh, right at the first hill out of Enniskerry I knew my legs weren't up for it. Every single uphill I got dropped, and eventually heading up the Sally Gap the legs just shut down completely. Huge thanks to the Orwell guy (didn't get your name, sorry!) who was with me coming down from the SG and along the Laragh-Rathdrum road, I was cooked and the company really helped. Meant to say thanks at the end but by the time I'd tucked into my burger I think you'd headed off. Died a death on the Shay Elliot, but put in a good descent and got in with Eoin from Wicklow Tri (another huge thanks!) at the bottom and we come back most of the way together. I was still feeling ropey and having company really helped pass the kilometers.

189km total for the day, got around the course in 5:25 despite feeling crap so I'm really pleased! Once again thanks to Orwell for the fantastic event. Now I'm off to have a shower and probably a nap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

great route, great food, great marshalling, great welcome into foodstop (including having bidons filled for us!), great welcome home and great company.

what more can i say?

good to see so many boardsies out in force too!

• Advertisement
Advertisement