Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorizo

Options
  • 04-07-2011 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭

Chorizo is extremely popular, I see it mentioned in all manner of recipes and it pops up in loads of threads.

So I'm intrigued, what chorizo are people buying and using. Because I can't for the life of me see the attraction of fried dry chorizo which produces oily leather discs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I use mine for my chicken and chorizo lasagne which is simply lush! :D
    Also I sometimes buy the dolmio stir in sauce and chop up the chorizo quite small and fry it. Then stir it through the sauce and pasta. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Cooking chorizo? Or the dried variety? Sweet (Dulce) or Hot (Picante)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

mmm chorizo! my favourite is to have it with a crusty baguette some butter and some soft cheese (used to have this nearly everyday in France) with a small bottle of beer :)

I'd often use it with a homemade tomato pasta sauce and fry in little chunks and mix in.

very nice on homemade pizza too and in Scrambled eggs or an omlette

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Thinly sliced in a Spanish ommlette, delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Chorizo and garlic baby potatoes, yum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I've used a good few and I find the 'Sol' brand my favourite. You can get it in Superquinn, Spar etc. M&S own brand is also great and the Dunnes own brand is also fantastic. I think the Lidl one, isn't actually Chorizo (the loop, not the sliced) it's more a salami. But the sliced Chorizo in Aldi & Lidl is very good.

Cooked it's got a great texture and flavour - very moreish and succulent. If you can get it fresh, cut it into rounds and simmer in red wine. Serve with crusty bread - simple and VERY delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

My answer would have been almost identical to Olala's.

The versions you get here are typically dulce - in ring form anyway. The large, pre-sliced stuff that you get in Aldi and Lidl is sometimes of the picante variety.

I buy my Chorizo usually in own-brand varieties by Tesco Finest, M&S or Dunnes. They're all delicious and are wonderful paired with a subtly flavoured meat or fish like chicken or prawns (or both!).

I like chicken and chorizo chunk skewers, grilled, with a mint and yoghurt sauce. Or chicken, prawns and chorizo with smoked paprika, coconut rice, crispy veg and hot lime pickle. Or chorizo in tomato sauce with pasta.

Also I find the Chorizo (sliced) with the larger marbling to be my favourite - not sure if the size of the fat has indication of which type it is. But the smaller fat pockets seems to be more salami like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I love chorizo also.:D:D

I buy the lidl sliced chorizo for hangover sandwiches (chorizo and coleslaw), for tapas or for layering with potatos and onions in frittata.

I buy M&S whole uncooked ones to go with pasta (with leeks and creme fraiche), for adding into stuffing (with spinach and breadcrumbs in pork), paella or simply sauteing in cider and serving with french bread to mop up the juices.

Saw this on the tellybox last week, looked delicious - http://www.rte.ie/food/2011/0627/sweetpotatoandchorizogratin.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I love this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/merluzaalagallega_11637

I've used all sorts of chorizo, but am yet to settle on a favourite.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I love Chorizo, too, and always have some in the fridge. I also think it's way better - both the fresh and aged variants - cooked. If it's fried at a low temperature it stays soft and delish and the lovely smoked paprika oil melts out.

Lidl have "smoked pork salami with paprika" (German as opposed to Spanish) which is very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I like Gubeen chorizo - it has the best flavour of any I've tried.
    To be honest, I rarely cook with it - just like to eat it as it is or let it hang for a few weeks in the kitchen to dry out more (only the version in the natural skin is suitable for this).

But when I do cook with it:
    It is great in tortilla (Spanish omelette) and does give really good flavour to soups and stews - particularly tomato bases ones - shin beef and chorizo stew is good as is tomato, butter bean and chorizo soup.
    Chorizo, pea and mint risotto is surprisingly good too (finish with a good squeeze of lemon juice).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

mmm Chorizo fried with scrambled eggs mmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I buy chorizo in Lidl and use it in loads of dishes

- Omelette
    - Paella
    - Tomato based soup
    - Chicken and chorizo bake
    - Simple lunch with salad and crusty bread
    - Rachel Allen does a lovely chorizo, leek and potato bake

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Robin132

The question is, the likes of the one you buy in lidl in the loop.... skin on or off? It is so hard to get it off i generally leave it on though a lot of people seem to take it off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Robin132 wrote: »
    The question is, the likes of the one you buy in lidl in the loop.... skin on or off? It is so hard to get it off i generally leave it on though a lot of people seem to take it off

On. The skin is so thin as to be practically unnoticeable anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Robin132 wrote: »

That sounds like a cured chorizo sausage - powdery white skin? Slice thinly and eat. Not suitable for cooking with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I love this:

I've used all sorts of chorizo, but am yet to settle on a favourite.

There is one made in Cork that i bought in Fallon & Byrne, its the best one i've had so far !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Manach wrote: »

I've decided to have this on sunday !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Had it this morning before I went to work.
    The recipe I got (think its jamie oliver or nigella)
    is with tortilla, mushrooms, onions etc.
    Basically you can put in what you want.

First fry the chorizo, then add the veg (I usually do peppers, onion (or spring onion), mushroom (needed), cherry tomatoes (needed)
    I add some paprika (yes more) and cayenne pepper and some chili flakes.
    Add the tortilla last , fry for a couple of minutes and then whisk 3 eggs and add them in to scramble.
    Its the most delicious breakfast.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

A nice, fresh sesame bagel. Put some tomato, onion, cheese and chorizo on it, and toast. yum yum yum :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Chorizo & asparagus risotto is also a thing of beauty. Particularly when you lob half a bottle of martini in after you coat the rice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Has anyone ever used it with cider? Was flicking through the channels and Rick Stein was in Spain and had a sample.

This one linked above mentions wine so perhaps that would do instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Eddie-B

If you can find the actual chorizo sausages they are a one pot wonder. Because of the oil in them once they begin to cook its spills out over everything else so putting it on top of some boiled spuds,peppers and onions gives u a pot of what is basically chilli roast potatoes with the grilled sausages and then the peppers and onions....

not to mention the oil left over can be soaked up in some crusty bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Eddie-B wrote: »
    If you can find the actual chorizo sausages they are a one pot wonder. Because of the oil in them once they begin to cook its spills out over everything else so putting it on top of some boiled spuds,peppers and onions gives u a pot of what is basically chilli roast potatoes with the grilled sausages and then the peppers and onions....

not to mention the oil left over can be soaked up in some crusty bread.

Yup, the Spanish have cottoned on to that one pot quality of chorizo too. Ever tried Merluza a la Gallega con chorizo? Dead easy route to one pan heaven on a plate.

Half decent recipe here: http://www.cookipedia.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Merluza_a_la_Gallega_%28with_chorizo%29

Generally, I'd just do the spuds, then in goes the capsicum and chorizo, let the sausage do its oily magic, in with the water and wine, fish on top (it basically steams, but gets that juicy chorizo taste too) and you're laughing. No need for peas or whatever.

Another option I came across by accident one happy Sunday morning is that if you have no sausages and are making an Ulster fry, a few slices of chorizo in the pan before you do your potato farls, and they will come out fiery red and utterly amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Eddie-B

let the sausage do its oily magic

i think this thread can be closed after that statement

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There is one made in Cork that i bought in Fallon & Byrne, its the best one i've had so far !

That's the Gubeen one!
    Very good.

Advertisement