Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Bord Gais Heat thread - changing to Airtricity?

Options
  • 04-07-2011 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi folks,

OK, here's my issue (Mods, please feel free to move if this is the wrong forum).

Moved into new apartment in Nov '09. The Heat/water supplier is Bord Gais Heat, electricity is ESB.

From the very first bill we got, it seemed to be extremely high for what we were using. We put it down to having heat on unnecessarily, having the water timed for too long in the morning/evening, and reduced both accordingly.

After the freezing month of December, we got another high bill in January. I half-expected to have a high bill, but the thing is that we actually hardly had the heat on at ALL during that month, because we're on the third floor of a very well-insulated apartment and it's always warm in our apartment, no matter what the weather.

At this time, I rang BGH and asked was the bill being estimated or was it an exact reading. Was told it was an exact reading.

So we turned the heating off permanently and reduced the automatic hot water timing even more. (It's on for around 20 mins in the morning, and 20 mins in the late afternoon now).

The next bill, around March/April said that we had used almost the exact same units as we had during the winter period - this is just impossible because the heat was off altogether and we had made a conscious effort to use less hot water, etc. Another call was made to Bord Gais Heat, again asking if there was a problem with the meter and if they could send someone around to check that it was working correctly.

They said they would send an engineer around to check, told me that my bill would be debited about a week later than stated on the bill (to allow for the engineer to come around and check everything), and asked me to confirm that this was OK, which I did.

Today, they've pissed me off for the last time as it appears that they've 'forgotten' to debit my account (I pay by direct debit anyway) for the last bill, so the new bill is the price of two together. Needless to say this is a massive inconvenience to pay such a big lump sum and I am absolutely furious with them.

Am I doing something wrong here? Is there anything else I can do to try to reduce this bill?

And if not - can I change to Airtricity for heating alone? Is it a massive hassle to do so?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Did the engineer visit to inspect the meter? If so, what was the outcome?

Have you doublechecked all meter readings on the bill against the actual meter?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 CluelessWiFi

Hi dudara,

I don't have access to the meter myself, as it's a large apartment complex and I have to ring a number to get a reading. But I will look into this.

They said their engineer went out and checked that the meter was working efficiently but I'm actually not sure I believe them now, they're such an amateur operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If you're moving check out flogas.
    We're with them a few years and they've been good.
    Threatened to leave after the discounts finished and they gave me another years discount

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I wouldnt recommend changing to Airtricity, as your title suggests.
    the numerous threads prove that they are even more useless than BG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

I wouldnt recommend changing to Airtricity, as your title suggests.
    the numerous threads prove that they are even more useless than BG

More drivel. Typical clueless response. What is it with this country and negativity? Youre lucky that another supplier bothered to enter the market and offer you an alternative. Considering the amount of people in debt to BG due to being unable to afford to pay the bill, its about time you opened your eyes to the changed market.

Have you had any experience with Airtricity yourself? I doubt it. But hey, why not just keep your bills with the original suppliers, and then in October when you receive notification on your 15-20% rise in gas prices, you can post up here complaining about rising costs and forecast a bleak future. People like you just enjoy posting up negative comments, but they serve no use to anyone.

Airtricity have over 500,000 customers in ROI now. Any that may have had an issue are more likely to complain, those that saved money with zero hassle are less likely to bother posting up about it.

To the OP, if youre just wanting to switch your gas bill, then flo gas is probably the best option. Make sure you change your electric too though, even if you ring Electric Ireland they will give you a discount. You have to apply for it, you dont get it automatically.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The other supplier entered the market by effectively getting a subsidy. The other supplier will also increase prices but will do it at a different stage (just like the health insurers).

There will be people across all suppliers with arrears - don't see how competition is going to change that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

djrichard wrote: »
    More drivel. Typical clueless response. What is it with this country and negativity? Youre lucky that another supplier bothered to enter the market and offer you an alternative. Considering the amount of people in debt to BG due to being unable to afford to pay the bill, its about time you opened your eyes to the changed market.

Have you had any experience with Airtricity yourself? I doubt it. But hey, why not just keep your bills with the original suppliers, and then in October when you receive notification on your 15-20% rise in gas prices, you can post up here complaining about rising costs and forecast a bleak future. People like you just enjoy posting up negative comments, but they serve no use to anyone.

Airtricity have over 500,000 customers in ROI now. Any that may have had an issue are more likely to complain, those that saved money with zero hassle are less likely to bother posting up about it.

To the OP, if youre just wanting to switch your gas bill, then flo gas is probably the best option. Make sure you change your electric too though, even if you ring Electric Ireland they will give you a discount. You have to apply for it, you dont get it automatically.

Where should I write to thank them for such a generous gesture?:rolleyes:

dub45 wrote: »

Where should I write to thank them for such a generous gesture?:rolleyes:

Haha! You dont have to thank them, theyre making a pretty penny or two despite offering reduced rates.

Competition will help those in arrears. Someone in arrears can, for the time being, switch suppliers and benefit from reduced rates. They can then arrange a payment plan with their previous suppliers to payback their arrears. As they have cheaper rates they could pay back what they owe a little easier. In these difficult times every little helps.

Not all suppliers have the same amount of customers with arrears. Airtricity only take customers who provide their bank details for direct debit, so you find that the bad payers dont switch to them as they know they dont pay their bills on time and any outstanding balance would be taken from their account 14 days after recieving their bill. This is a bonus as they dont waste resources chasing them up and they dont have to pass on these costs to the good customers who pay their bills on time like they are meant to. Bord Gais are struggling with about 115,000 customers in arrears, they also just wrote off €26.4 MILLION in debt! Now who do you think is going to pay for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Catalpa1

Welcome Back DJ how is the whole Airtricity sales rep thing going, any chance you might want to disclose this to the thread.
    Am I to take it that Airtricity will not be upping their prices in the next 6/12 months when all the others do, had one of your reps at my door friday night. Interesting chap told me BGE are upping their prices by 20% from next week. I naturally questioned him, he then told me that it was in all the papers and on the internet. I set him straight on that one, he then told me that the standing charge for a domestic account was the same as the ESB NEtworks one, even though when you check it out and even on the laminated sheet he carried it did mention that standing charge may vary.Oh and according to him Hydro electric power stations are neither green and kill thousands of fish. So I asked him what about ESB fisheries and all the good work they do. ( I am a fisherman and regardless of your electricity supplier) these guys stock our rivers with thousands of smolt and fingerlings every year. They have been manageing the fish stocks since he 1930s.Apparently they are destroying our rivers.Who told you that, Well we are greener than the rest.I am afraid I laughed in his face, if he had said that he wasnt familiar with the subject of fish etc fair enough but to spout that kind of crap unforgivable
    Finally given the suggestion that those who can afford direct debit are your preferred customers (that is with all suppliers ) and therefore your debt levels are low. Given the vast economic correcton about to envelope the country in the next 2 or 3 years do you think there will be enough direct debit customers to maintain those numbers and grow. I ask again you never did answer on a previous thread what Airtricity charge for a bounced direct debit

Please don't drag this thread into the old arguments that consumed the old threads about alternative energy suppliers.

Please stick to answering the OPs original question.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Catalpa1

One assumes if a poster works for a given company they should in all fairness disclose that fact??

Catalpa1 wrote: »
    One assumes if a poster works for a given company they should in all fairness disclose that fact??

Didnt think it was relevant, especially as I suggested the OP would probably be best to switch to Flo-Gas, or even apply for his discount from EI. Anytime Ive mentioned that I work for Airtricity it seems to be an invitation for personal criticism and people wrongly assume Im vying for business.

Would have been fun to meet you on the doors, I imagine the banter would be interesting. Why did Hydro dams come into the conversation? Hydro Electric in Scotland (Scottish & Southern) have loads of them. They own Airtricity. I started this career with Hydro Electric back in 2000, though Ive never heard anything about fish stocks or deaths! Never too old to learn. :)

Who knows what will happen with the economy, and who can accurately predict where we will be in a few years time. By reducing the number of customers who are struggling to pay bills will obviously benefit any company. Nothing is fail-safe though, but they are trying to do what they can to limit the risk.

Sorry, I still dont know what the returned direct debit charge is, I forgot to ask to be honest. A lot of these threads get closed as some posters become too personal, so its not always possible to reply.

I just bought a BBQ yesterday, I bought a calor gas propane bottle and had it filled. Cost €68 for 11.1kg, soooooo expensive! The bbq was delicious though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

If you're moving check out flogas.
    We're with them a few years and they've been good.
    Threatened to leave after the discounts finished and they gave me another years discount

Oh dear, I should have tried that.... My discount finished last month and I just accepted their explanation, never thought of haggling. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jemser

What pices are esb now? i had switched over to bord gais but with this hike will change back if its cheaper,anyone know the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

stop shilling for Airtricity, you're lucky to not have been banned yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

More drivel. Typical clueless response. What is it with this country and negativity? Youre lucky that another supplier bothered to enter the market and offer you an alternative...
    Have you had any experience with Airtricity yourself? I doubt it.

How is it clueless? Most of the negative comments out there concerning Airtricity are driven by direct customer experiences.

Thread closed due to the same old drivel and arguments being posted.

@Catalpa1 and djrichard - If I see either of the two of you starting these arguments again in any other thread, I will ban immediately, witout warning.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement