Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy new phone.

Options
  • 04-07-2011 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭

Looking to purchase a new phone as thread title says.

No real money limit as will most likely be going bill pay.

What would people recommend? Can be touch screen etc but preferably not the iPhone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Samsung Galaxy S2 and HTC Sensation are probably the best two non-iPhones available now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Are they available on all networks? Using phone at the moment so searching is tough.. Hence why I want a new one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

HTC! Great phones, i love mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Just managed to have a look, vodafone seem very expensive for bill pay...

Anyone here use 3 bill pay, thinking about the 40 euro classic flex max with free landline and all you can dat data!

Htc desire S, opinions both positive and negative?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭marathonic

Three are releasing the new HTC Sensation on their network tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Diairist

I'm interested in a phone that has GPS or similar to help me find places. Not pushed if the camera is over or under 4 Mpixels or if there's a fold out keyboard etc.

I hear good and bad things about iPhone 3 + 4. Seems HTC desire HD is good but Vodafone don't have them.

Any other ideas? Thanks in anticiaption

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

If mapping and navigation is important, you need to look at a Nokia too -their phones have the best mapping and navigation by a long way. It's free, and you can use it without using mobile data (you can download the maps into the phone at home, a whole country at a time). User interface is really good for the mapping - just like having a TomTom or other dedicated GPS.

The full Maps service is on pretty much all phones from C5 upwards; cheaper phones have a cut-down version. Nokia C6-01/C7 are decent phones for the money, but the user experience of the rest of the phone isn't up to the competition. Against that, call quality and battery life are best-in-class. ("best in class" battery life sadly means "1-2 days per charge" in this kind of phone :( )

HTC and other Android phones have good maps, but you have to be online to use them, and that makes them impractical if you go abroad, or into areas with poor data coverage. There's a limited ability to pre-store maps, but it's not possible to just grab a whole country and store it in the phone like on Nokia's system. The maps themselves are good and the navigation is also pretty good, but Nokia does have the edge, I think.

HTC Desire is good, the only real downside for average users is that the battery life isn't great (using GPS/Navigation on any phone is hard on the battery).

iPhone has the worst mapping and navigation solution of any current phone. However, if you absolutely must have an iPhone, you can buy an official "TomTom" app that basically gives you a fully-featured GPS system, but it's not cheap, especially after taking into account the cost of the iPhone itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Diairist

thumbs up button not working

Advertisement