Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filty Eyre Square

Options
  • 04-07-2011 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭

Happened to be walking through eyre square on friday evening last
    at about 8pm and couldnt believe the state of the place.Rubbish scattered everywhere and bins unemptied and over flowing What must tourists think?Shop street and other adjoining streets were just as bad.
    Did I just hit the place on a wrong night or is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Happened to be walking through eyre square on friday evening last
    at about 8pm and couldnt believe the state of the place.Rubbish scattered everywhere and bins unemptied and over flowing What must tourists think?Shop street and other adjoining streets were just as bad.
    You should get onto Padraig Connelly and stand beside a bin together pointing at it as a local newspaper photographer snaps ye. He would love that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

It doesn't me surprise in the least considering the caliber of people who like to spend their days idling away there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

sentient_6 wrote: »
    It doesn't me surprise in the least considering the caliber of people who like to spend their days idling away there.

Hmm just been looking up hotels in the area for a weekend away! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Dovies wrote: »
    Hmm just been looking up hotels in the area for a weekend away! :confused:

Don't worry. It's not too bad generally. Come on over and spend your money here ;)

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Don't worry. It's not too bad generally. Come on over and spend your money here ;)

Well thats the plan. Forsters Court hotel seems to be the best rate at the moment and we will be taking the train!

• Advertisement

Well thats the plan. Forsters Court hotel seems to be the best rate at the moment and we will be taking the train!

A girls night or romantic getaway?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭fallen01angel

Am just back from a weekend trip in Galway,did notice on Sat night that the Shop Street area was pretty filthy,but the volume of people in the area was unreal.But it's a fantasic city and I can't wait to make a return visit.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Excellent choice. Only a minute on foot from the station and in the heart of the city. Right nextdoor to the tourist office too.

Stayed there a few times myself and no complaints.

Galway is a busy tourist spot so some degree of litter is inevitable. But no more than elsewhere.

In fact, Galway constantly fares well compared to other Irish cities in its efforts to tackle litter according to the latest IBAL league tables.

Come to Galway and enjoy yourself. :)

A girls night or romantic getaway?

Eh neither really. Me, my sister and 3 teenagers!! So shopping really!
    Would like to go to cong on the sunday for the day (to see the Quiet Man stuff)- any suggestions on how to get there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

One thing that really bugs me about Eyre Sq is the number of cigarette butts everywhere, there are loads of bins to dispose of them but seems people are too lazy to walk ten yards.

• Advertisement

Eh neither really. Me, my sister and 3 teenagers!! So shopping really!
    Would like to go to cong on the sunday for the day (to see the Quiet Man stuff)- any suggestions on how to get there?

That's a tough one. Cong is a good bit out from Galway city. There is a bus up there but it doesn't run very regularly.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1278509372-420.pdf

Predalien wrote: »
    One thing that really bugs me about Eyre Sq is the number of cigarette butts everywhere, there are loads of bins to dispose of them but seems people are too lazy to walk ten yards.

There are nowhere near enough bins in Eyre Square. It's actually a problem that goes across all of the city though. Very poor planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I think I read somewhere that the corpo are severly cutting back on weekend street cleaning in an effort to reduce overtime payments..what with them being kind of broke and all.

So the town will probably be a mess most weekends from now on :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

There are nowhere near enough bins in Eyre Square. It's actually a problem that goes across all of the city though. Very poor planning.

I agree it's a problem in other parts of the city but there are loads of bins in eyre square, definitely enough so that people only have at most 20 yards to walk to use a bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That's a tough one. Cong is a good bit out from Galway city. There is a bus up there but it doesn't run very regularly.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1278509372-420.pdf

Indeed: if ye are here as tourists, then either rent a car (arguscarhire.ie used to be good) or do a bus tour - various countries do options, tourist office at the top of Forster St has info.

The various regional buses are more aimed at locals and will just drop you at places that make sense to locals, not show them to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

BENDYBINN wrote: »

A bit of both to be honest. Some seriously dirty bastards around the city and county.

Drive out the dual carriageway to Oranmore right now and just look at the amount of crap people dump on the side of the road. There are 3 separate black bin liners of crap dumped on the hard shoulder on both sides of the carriageway. Two of them have burst and scattered rubbish along the road. I was driving into town yesterday afternoon and passed four French cars on their into the city that passed by this. Lovely first impression of Galway! On the railway bridge someone actually stopped and left two Supermacs drinks containers sitting up on the wall.

I regularly drive along the new motorway from Gort to Limerick and it sickens me to see the stuff people just throw out the window. Have they no pride or respect for our country side? Jesus Christ how hard is it to bring the crap home and put it in the bin? The two lay bys on either sides of the motorway just past Gort are almost fully fledged dumping grounds now. People actually stop here and unload several bin liners of garbage at a time. They should be caught and made to spend a full week picking up crap from the road side with a bin sign pointing out why they are doing it.

Flogging is too good for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

sentient_6 wrote: »

Including those large calibre Traffic Wardens? Surely they're not also littering while strolling and chatting in the Square?

Advertisement