Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protocol when renting a room

Options
  • 04-07-2011 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I have a new flatmate moving in this week. I am just wondering what the protocol is with regards to bedding. Should I get in a duvet etc etc or do most people just bring their own.

I don't mind getting one, but just not sure if it is the done thing.

My last tenant brought his own and left it here, but after seeing the state of it, I had to throw it out.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Buy one and leave it all in its wrapping, if the tenant has their own you could return it but it also shows the tenant that it's brand new, most people don't like to use someone elses duvet cover. You don't have to though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Personally speaking, from a renter's point of view, I wouldn't expect bedding, just a decent bed. :)

Having said that, I can see ads for bedsits/rooms which state "bedding provided" so I guess it's what's negotiated up front, but I wouldn't expect it as the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Thanks guys

The last time I moved into a rented place there was a duvet etc there but as it wasn't new, I didn't want to use it. I'd imagine most people are the same.

I think I'll just get a new one and some pillows and leave them in the room for him :)

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Or maybe just ring him and say "I was wondering, do you need bedding or are you sorted?" before you haul your cookies to Dunnes? He may already be have what he needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

LittleBook wrote: »
    Or maybe just ring him and say "I was wondering, do you need bedding or are you sorted?" before you haul your cookies to Dunnes? He may already be have what he needs.

Actually, yes, good plan. He seems like a sound kind of guy so that's probably a good plan. It may end up costing a bit once I factor in pillows and duvet cover,etc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Best thing to do is contact him and say you can organise it but you will need a higher deposit to cover it. If he brings his own which he can take away at the end the deposit will be lower. Tenants always go for the cheaper option in my experience.

Advertisement