Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jimmy Barnes at the Olympia tonight (4th July)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Yep, I'm heading in, I'd say it won't be packed though...

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

I was thinking the same, I'd say it will be very roomy. A shame really, He's really good. Deserves to have a full crowd. I'd say the top balcony will be blocked off. It should be really good. The support band is his daughter, She is very good too. :D

Any idea of stage times, Ciaran? I have to collect my ticket on the door as I only bought it yesterday so no idea what time he might be onstage. Saw him last time he was here in the Village and thought he put on a great show, I was surprised at the choice of venue this time though, there aren't that many Aussies left in Dublin these days, are there? :) His latest album, Rage & Ruin, is good as well.

Anyway, I'll be there in my Double Happiness shirt :D

I'm collecting my tickets tonight from the box office too. Doors are at 7. It normally says on MCD but it doesn't about tonight. I'm guessing support maybe 7:45, 8ish and Jimmy will be on around 9. Although that could be completely wrong. Might be best to give the box office a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

MCD were giving out freebies on their facebook page.

• Advertisement

Grabbing a bite to eat then I'm heading out. I'll give a report later or (Most likely) Tomorrow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 helen davis

hi call 0861785380 if want 2 tickets available for tonights show at low cost !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Polar101

Can think of worse ways to spend a Monday night, was pretty awesome. :)

All-seated gig was odd, but everyone was standing in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Good gig, good mix of songs and the band seemed to enjoy themselves...

...but - the sound mix was atrocious upstairs. Way too loud with no clarity, vocals lost in the mix. Such a pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 helen davis

yeah i was upstairs and the sound was pretty terrible (backing instruments drowning out jimmys vocals) ... i think us aussies in ireland are thin on the ground judging by last nights ticket sales ( but i really enjoyed the support guys (brophy?) rendition of down under !) ( :

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

they put in seats dowstairs to fill out the room. if it had been standing it would have looked fairly empty. good setlist but the sound was atrocious. drums and bass low in the mix and could hardly hear jimmy talking between songs.

I was downstairs near the front and the sound was LOUD! It wasn't bad, though I felt Jimmy's voice was too far down in the mix and it could have been clearer. I know it's a rock gig, but there's no point in distorting it to buggery either.

Having said that, I thought the band were excellent and Jimmy put his heart and soul into it as usual. The crowd was on the disappointing side (I have to admit, having seen him in the Village the last time, I was surprised they went for the Olympia this). Great set, although I would have to loved to have heard God Or Money from the new album. Hopefully he'll come back, despite the low numbers this time.

Oh, and the support, Brian Brody, was interesting, a little different to the usual singer-songwriter stuff. Wonder why Jimmy's daughter backed out of doing it, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Part of today's big release news, Cold Chisel announced new digital-only releases for 22nd July 2011. It is a part of their 2011 archival program, the biggest in Australian music history.Live At the Wireless comes from a radio session on Double J, recorded on 29/03/1977. Live In St Leonard’s Park is a newly unearthed, full length recording from 1978. Last Stand Out-Takes brings together five tracks from their legendary Last Stand that don't appear on the original release.

Read more here

http://www.coldchisel.com/cold-chisel-announce-new-digital-only-releases/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Polar101

It doesn't really help ticket sales when the gig is first on a Wednesday, and then postponed to a Monday.

Downstairs, it was very loud and I couldn't hear the bass - so nothing too unusual at the Olympia.

I thought it was great! I didn't notice a problem with the sound where I was. I was expecting it to be seated untill I got the tickets at 7. Nothing worse than having a choice to sit pretty much anywhere in the building because you get trying different seats. I ended up in the front row of the 2nd seated section, lots of leg room there. Any closer I would've been looking up the whole time so I saved my neck there. I thought the support was great. As blastman said he was not typical singer songwriter stuff which was cool. He seemed chuffed getting the gig. Fair play to him, He seemed to have a great time. I was thinking at first maybe the daughter wasn't going to be there because the gig date was changed or something, But I didn't realise she was in the band. (I found out that it was changed because it clashed with Bon Jovi last week). I thought Jimmy was on fire. What a voice! He rocked the place. I thought the could've left it standing though. I was in the first row so their was an isle in front of me and someone stood right in front of my seat so I had to move, I wouldn't mind if he was dancing the whole time but for a lot of it he was just standing there nearly on top of me. There was room further down so it was alright. There was so many Aussies there, You'd swear you were in the land down under in the bathrooms Hahaha. I had a great night anyways :D

Cheers for that, Ciaran, great camerawork. I'm uncomfortably close to being in that clip!!

How did he get the sound not to distort completely, out of interest? Any time I record a clip, the sound is horrendous!

blastman wrote: »
    Cheers for that, Ciaran, great camerawork. I'm uncomfortably close to being in that clip!!

How did he get the sound not to distort completely, out of interest? Any time I record a clip, the sound is horrendous!

Haha. It's the camera, Its a Lumix TZ7. I don't think you can get them anymore. The sound on the later models are distorted for concert videos I've seen though. It's funny that way. You'd Imagine the later models would be better. There are other cameras that have great sound too. The Lumix is just a small point and shoot so you wouldn't get stopped going in with it.

Advertisement