Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tall Ships - Well Done Waterford City

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

seachto7 wrote: »
    what would it have been like if it had been peeing rain for the weekend? In San Fran, Barca or Sydney, you are almost guaranteed the weather depending on the time of year.

What would it have been like if none of the ships turned up? I guess we'll never know.
    seachto7 wrote: »
    What's this I hear about some fisticuffs on Friday night?

That was actually on Saturday, though it wasn't much of a fuss. Some big guy from Eastern Europe gave a small black lad a few slaps and took his belt off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

gscully wrote: »
    Avatar? Was that the girl in blue on stilts...the only one walking alone?

Did anyone see the arse on her? Jesus, it was a sight to behold!!

Was that you following her around all day pointing it out to all the little boys? You should be ashamed.......nah........lmfao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

kfallon wrote: »
    What were you expecting? :confused:

Just seemed like a big deal over nothing, I thought it was just way over hyped. Seemed like it was more about stalls and drinking then about actual ships, well that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

deisedave wrote: »
    Just seemed like a big deal over nothing, I thought it was just way over hyped. Seemed like it was more about stalls and drinking then about actual ships, well that's just my opinion.

Think that's the idea the ships attract them down, and the festival music/food/crafts keeps them entertained and sends them home happy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

decies wrote: »
    Think that's the idea the ships attract them down, and the festival music/food/crafts keeps them entertained and sends them home happy!!

Ah I suppose any money brought into the town in these times is good:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

It is about the ships but you need more than that to keep people entertained. When bidding to be a Tall Ships Host port besides having a suitable port, keeping costs low for ships berthing and also providing facilities for the crew's , you also need to build a festival around it. Showcases the city and the crews from the ships also need a chnace to saok up and enjoy the city into which they sail.

For me seeing the ships and getting a chance to go on board is the best thing. They are majestic enough on their own but the whole music, culture food and craft festival just made the experience all the more enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

decies wrote: »

I felt the North Quay was more about the ships, the south about the stalls, the music, the 'John 3:7' lads, etc. So there was something for everyone (unless your shipophobic, in which case you are a weirdo and I don't want you visiting Waterford anyway; we can do without that sort thank you very much).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Well done to everyone involved during the tall ships!!!!

The dubs will have a hard act to follow next year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

First of all kudos to everyone involved. Hearing nothing but positives from everyone in the city and friends from outside who came down for the weekend..

The tall Ships are a great event and spectacle but in my opinion you have to go on board and sail on them for the true experience(well duh!). I've seen the event numerous times but nothing beats the craic and camraderie on board these awesome ships in full sail. Showing my age now but took part in a Tall Ships race from Terschelling in Holland to London in 1989 on the Asgard 2 in a force 8..Now THAT was fun:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

Might get shot for this :D but am I the only one who finds the tall ships a wee bit over rated?
    No.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Well if you had something good to say about anything I'd probably fall over from the surprise. People from all over the country have been praising the city so I think I'll choose to ignore your delicate stomach and focus on the positives.
    Well you try and find something good to say about the smell of sh**te and urine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

tom thum wrote: »
    I was in town on saturday night, and from a sober perspective, looking back on it in ten years time all i will remember will be the awful smell of sh**e down in Red Square and the pungent smell of urine up by the apple market. Nearly vomited, it was so bad!
    No.
    Well you try and find something good to say about the smell of sh**te and urine!

I thought you went away? Haven't seen you complaining around these parts in ages.

Why did ya have to come back for Tall Ships? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

I had the other halfs aunt and uncle down for the weekend, and they had an absolute ball. It was incredibly well organised, and the amount of Guards, Civil Defense and medical staff around along with the stewards and cleaning people (God bless them) made it feel safe, comfortable and relaxing.
    I don't know who was responsible for designing and setting up the fireworks, but they did an awesome job. As a few people said on both nights, it's a pity Ard Ri didn't go up with them at the climax of the display, but you can't have everything :D
    I did see a bunch of lads having a go at each other on Friday night next to the Museum of Treasures, but to be fair, they were so pissed they kept punching fresh air, and the only casualty seems to have hopped his head off the kerb.
    It was a very Irish event in saying that - at 11.00 on Saturday night you saw a mixture of drunken girls, drunken boys, drunken sailors and mammies and daddies with prams and kids all staring up at the sky at the fireworks and not a bother on any of them.
    I had a ball anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭DjBryn

2005 was far better nearly twice amount of boats,far better fireworks, and less hi vis robots tripping over each other more family friendly,
    crowds may have been more this time ,also funfair was cool, concert lineups were dire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

No.
    you two are bffs aren't you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

cheap source of nutrients for grass and plants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭few cans?

i was only down on the thursday due to work but my god what a night we had. hadnt been in waterford in a few weeks and it was a brilliant return.
    apparantly the ships are coming up here to dublin next year but i just cant see it being the same. too awkward. at least in waterford the quays are pretty much in the city centre

Advertisement