Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crackbird?

Options
  • 04-07-2011 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭

Rumours are, Crackbird is opening up on South William St again! omnomnom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

It seemed to be a great success, so I'd be surprised if they didn't open it permanently. I thought it was okay - but a little over priced for what it was serving - the chicken wasn't free-range, and I found the buttermilk coating quite bland.

Still a good fun place though, I'll be at it again if it opens like you said on South William Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

They tweeted this today

http://yfrog.com/hsba7rkj

looking good!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I saw the photo on Twitter today, plus all the rumours as well. Definitely looking forward to its (hopeful) return - I want more of that garlic, soy chicken and that burnt lemon whipped feta!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Opening opposite Peter's Pub, today at 6pm apparently!!

*WAHHHOOOO!* :pac:

olaola wrote: »
    Opening opposite Peter's Pub, today at 6pm apparently!!

*WAHHHOOOO!* :pac:

chicken & beer, chicken & beer :D yay!!

• Advertisement

Keep an eye out on Twitter, they're doing #tweetseats again.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Excellent! 6pm according to JoBurger :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bosswinger

Really interested in going to CrackBird this Sunday. How does bookings work and what is the menu like? I hear there isn't much choice but the food is meant to be quality. Do they do sides?

Cheers for any info!

They don't take reservations so it's just walk in. Not 100% on what sides there will be, menu could be different to what it was. There was a good variety of them in the last location but no potato-y ones (so no chips etc.) if I recall correctly.

Pretty good review & pics of what it's like here

There was a good variety of them in the last location but no potato-y ones (so no chips etc.) if I recall correctly.
    [/URL]

There was a FANTASTIC potato salad on the old menu.

• Advertisement

D'oh, must have missed that! Lost in a chicken fog I guess :)

D'oh, must have missed that! Lost in a chicken fog I guess :)

I know, we only found it on our last visit. We were a little overexcited about the whole chicken nyoms!

The chipotle baked beans were amazing in the last one.

Info and menu for the new one here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Wow, this place certainly seems popular for a variety of dishes. I will waste no time in trying it out when I am around that area next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Their pop-up marketing scheme worked on me 100% - I ate there eight times in Crane Lane, three times were #tweetseats (with various groups).

I absolutely love their non-alcoholic drinks, as a non drinker, sometimes it's really hard to get nice (big) drinks!!

It makes me happy that they are open again, though I wont be in there immediately.....well.....maybe next week.

faigs wrote: »
    The chipotle baked beans were amazing in the last one.

Info and menu for the new one here!

New stuff on the menu! I'm drooling now... The rhubarb lemonade is amazing.

Just got me tweetseats. NYOMZ!

Is nobody else bothered by the fact they are using battery chickens? At €18 a pop?

Free range would be better but at least they're Irish unlike a lot of restaurants!

duckworth wrote: »
    Is nobody else bothered by the fact they are using battery chickens? At €18 a pop?

Pretty much all restaurants use battery chicken, unless they explicitly say free range and I can't think of very many places I've eaten this year that do that. I'd prefer free range but I'd imagine it's not viable for them, the amount of people who say they'd like free range chicken is a lot larger than the amount of people who would be prepared to pay what free range chicken costs.

Also +1 for Irish chicken being used, at least it's not coming in on a freezer ship from Thailand! Unlike the contents of the 70 billion (guesstimate) chicken fillet rolls being knocked back in Dublin every week

Pretty much all restaurants use battery chicken, unless they explicitly say free range and I can't think of very many places I've eaten this year that do that. I'd prefer free range but I'd imagine it's not viable for them, the amount of people who say they'd like free range chicken is a lot larger than the amount of people who would be prepared to pay what free range chicken costs.

Jo Burger makes a big song and dance about the the fact that all it's ingerdients are organic. Crackbird is at the same price-point, maybe even a little more expensive, and yet serves poor quality in it's chief ingredient.

Half a chicken - €10, One Side-Salad - €4, One Sauce - €2 and one lemonade - 4€, equates to a €20 meal, without a starter. I think at those prices, you should be getting free-range.

In fact, that is the price of lunch at Pichet (which has free-range chicken on the menu........)

• Advertisement

Jo Burger makes a big song and dance about the the fact that all it's ingerdients are organic.

Do they? I haven't been there in a while but can see no mention of it on their website or fb page. Besides which, free range =/= organic so I don't see how it's comparable?
    Half a chicken - €10, One Side-Salad - €4, One Sauce - €2 and one lemonade - 4€, equates to a €20 meal, without a starter. I think at those prices, you should be getting free-range.

In fact, that is the price of lunch at Pichet (which has free-range chicken on the menu........)

You're not comparing like for like at all there, Crackbird has a lunch menu that works out at €4.50 - €5.00 an item (not including drink, which as the Pichet lunch menu doesn't include drinks either seems fair.), Pichet dinner menu, while gorgeous, at its cheapest is what €19 for a vegetarian main course?

I don't see how the chicken is automatically 'poor quality' if it isn't free range? I buy Cootehill chicken in supervalu quite a lot and I like it, unlike most supermarket chicken it doesn't leak a pint of water when I try cook it.

Ideally the chicken would be free range yes (but I have a completely OT rant in my head about terms like 'free range' and 'organic' and how farms/companies are able to wiggle around loopholes to use them) but I can see why they don't & it wouldn't stop me from eating there. I don't buy free range chicken myself anyway

Do they? I haven't been there in a while but can see no mention of it on their website or fb page. Besides which, free range =/= organic so I don't see how it's comparable?

It's on the menu. Free range and organic are comparable in the respect that they both reflect a higher quality product.
    You're not comparing like for like at all there, Crackbird has a lunch menu that works out at €4.50 - €5.00 an item (not including drink, which as the Pichet lunch menu doesn't include drinks either seems fair.), Pichet dinner menu, while gorgeous, at its cheapest is what €19 for a vegetarian main course?

Comparing the dinner menu in an upscale bistro with Crackbird is not comparing likewith like. I think comparing the reduced price lunch menus around town with the full casual dining experience of Crackbird is fine since they are roughly the same price.

I didn't know Crackbird had a different lunch menu.
    I don't see how the chicken is automatically 'poor quality' if it isn't free range? I buy Cootehill chicken in supervalu quite a lot and I like it, unlike most supermarket chicken it doesn't leak a pint of water when I try cook it.

No, it doesn't mean it's poor - but it's certainly poorer.
    Ideally the chicken would be free range yes (but I have a completely OT rant in my head about terms like 'free range' and 'organic' and how farms/companies are able to wiggle around loopholes to use them) but I can see why they don't & it wouldn't stop me from eating there.

I can see why they don't do it also - to make more money. My main problem is the price of the chicken - for what they are serving, it should be a good 20-30 per cent cheaper.

I don't buy free range chicken myself anyway

You should if at all possible. Battery life is really a terrible existence for chickens. Aldi free-range chickens are 5.99, and are absolutely delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

duckworth wrote: »
    I can see why they don't do it also - to make more money. My main problem is the price of the chicken - for what they are serving, it should be a good 20-30 per cent cheaper.
    Your first point answers your second point. It isn't cheaper, because they want to make money. It doesn't sound like they have a shortage of customers either, so they have pitched the price of their chicken at the right price point. Don't be fooled by the internet-hugging pop-up theme, and free tweetseats. At the end of they day, they wouldn't be doing it, if it wasn't profitable, and the fact that it's re-opening kind of says it all.

Your first point answers your second point. It isn't cheaper, because they want to make money. It doesn't sound like they have a shortage of customers either, so they have pitched the price of their chicken at the right price point. Don't be fooled by the internet-hugging pop-up theme, and free tweetseats. At the end of they day, they wouldn't be doing it, if it wasn't profitable, and the fact that it's re-opening kind of says it all.

The fact the restaurant is busy and people are paying the price doesn't negate my point that it's not representing good value for money. People queue up to pay 10,000 euros for first growth Bordeauxs - but nobody in their right mind thinks it represents good value.

Fair play to Jo Macken for making a successful restaurant - I still think the food is pretty average for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭coffee to go

tfak85 wrote: »
    I absolutely love their non-alcoholic drinks, as a non drinker, sometimes it's really hard to get nice (big) drinks!!

Deffo with you on the drinks - They are amazing, as you can see in the photo from this review - Crackbird - Clucking Delicious!
    Drinks.jpg

The other pics are giving me a serious attack of the nomnoms :pac:

A half bird is enough for 2 people, you get 4 pieces. We've ordered 1 & 1/2 for 3, and we were eating the doggy bag for two days. It's great the next day btw. All of the chicken comes from a co-op in Cavan afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Dirtyduffer

Can someone explain the "take a picture of your meal, post on Twitpic and get your meal free" thing please? Surely there's T&C and not exactly as quoted?

Can someone explain the "take a picture of your meal, post on Twitpic and get your meal free" thing please? Surely there's T&C and not exactly as quoted?

For the tweetseats, if you get tweetseats - twitpic the meal and you get it for free. (food only, no booze)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I wasn't really impressed by Crackbird tbh. I was really looking forward to it but the buttermilk chicken was pretty tasteless. I did like the croquettes but I was there for the chicken and it just wasn't great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jane Eyre

I could never understand why people raved about this place. Maybe drinking out of a jam jar is cool, but I was VERY ill after a meal there and another friend had the same experience a few weeks later. Wild horses wouldn't drag me back there. Even if they paid me.

Advertisement